Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edc knife

Edc knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    So I'm looking for a new edc knife (folder) for around 30-40 dollars. Id like to hear your opinion of best brand knife and your over all favorites. Thanks!

spend a little bit more and buy a spyderco dragonfly

ima beat everone to it, your gonna get reccomended the spyderco tenacious alot

the list i had wrote down for me for when i get a 30$ range knife in a week or 2 is (im still deciding)
    spyderco tenacious
    kershaw nerve
    buck vantage select
    sog flash 1
    kabar dozier
    kershaw clash
    kershaw oso sweet
    byrd hawkbill
    and for a fixed blade the eskabar

dapends on what you use your knives for on a daily basis are you looking for a hard use folder or a peel an apple and cutting tape knife... there are many options
    a great edc knife is a ka-bar dozier foling hunter there about 20 bucks not the best steel but razor sharp and really light

Kershaw OD-1
    Framelock
    Flipper design
    14c Sandvik Steel
    Lockbar stabilizer
    Lifetime Warranty
    Made in the USA

What are your preferences? If none then...here are some choices

Byrd Cara Cara/Meadowlark (G-10/SS)
    Spyderco Persistence/Tenacious/UKPK (non-locking)
    Kershaw Needs Work/Leek/Zing/Burst/Tremor
    Sog Flash 1

I would recommend the Kershaw Skyline. I know a lot of people will think this is crazy, but I don't consider the Tenacious to be all that great of a value. It was for a time, but now we have knives like the Enlan EL-01 that cost half as much and offer the same in terms of quality and materials. With the Skyline, you get an American-made knife with very decent steel for the price, some very finely woven, rich feeling G-10, and an unconditional warranty. The design sits small in your pocket but fills your hand so it seems big enough for whatever little things you need it to do. The hollow grind slices exceptionally well, and the overall package is very lightweight.

I Have A Few Recommendations. There Are Some Really Good Ones Out There. Since We Don't Know What Exactly You're Looking For, I'll Just Throw Out Some Knife Names That Fit The Price Range And That I Believe Work Well For EDC.

Spyderco:
    Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious, Resilience, UKPK(No Lock), Dragonfly 2(A Little Over $40), Chicago(Little Over $40), Cat(Little Over $40).

Kershaw(You Can Get Cheap Blems And Import Items From KershawGuy):
    Skyline, OD-1($29 Blem), Scamp, Leek(Blems From $25-$38(I Would Go $38 For The Composite Blade)), Scallion($25 Blems), Tremor($25), One Ton($25), Shallot Blem From Kershawguy($30 - $38), Black Blur Blem($35), Black RAM Blem($45), Blackout($29 Blem).

Byrd:
    Tern, Meadowlark, Cara Cara, Raven, Flight, Crossbill, Robin, Crow, Etc.

Ontario RAT1.

Cold Steel voyager

[IMG][/IMG]

I have to add to the others who have been suggesting the Spyderco Persistance. I had the Tenacious (and ended up giving it to a good friend) but so often I prefer to carry less than 3.5 inches of knife as EDC. Whilst the Persistance has less than 3 inches of blade, due the lack of choil it is right up there with typical 3 inches folders. To say that this little guy punches above it's weight is a significant understatement. I can get a full four-finger grip on the handle with my medium/large hands and the specifications on fit and finishing is literally incredible on a knife of this cost.

On that subject - I am delighted to own a 'few' folders in much higher standard of steels and I think that over time it is easy to loose sight of the magnitude of differences. I love my 3G, Elmax, S35VN, etc. as much as the next man (or woman for that matter!) but AUS-8 and in this case 8Cr13MoV are often overlooked as inferior. Literally, they are but practically any knife we own will need sharpening - and if we don't use them none of them will need sharpening. I think we can loose sight of the fact that less edge holding almost always means easier sharpening. Kind of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other IF you have access to sharpening (which I always do, in one form or another). Throw in the fact that losing a knife of this cost will not cause medical complications (unlike some of our 'favourite' super-special knives!) and I think for EDC you may be onto a winner here (or somewhere similar)

Apologies for the long reply but I can heartily recommend such 'lower' standard knives and enjoy their use alongside their fancier brothers and sisters!

All JMHO...

Ben

ANything kershaw... like scallion, od-1, brawler, etc.

Hard to beat a Swiss Army Knife for bang-for-the-buck EDC utility...

Case Trapper. Two blades. Super sharp. Various colors and handle materials to choose from. Looks great, and will continue to look great after most other sub $40 knives look dated and hideous in 10 years (or 10 minutes).

Enlan 01.

Go to walmart and pick up a Sog Trident (used to be 50 but by me they dropped to 40) or a Buck 110.. Or the always popular response that everyone has seen... Spyderco Tenacious, Persistence, Ambitious, Resilience... You can look around and probably find an Endura or Delica too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFarms View Post
    ima beat everone to it, your gonna get reccomended the spyderco tenacious alot
    oh that's one of the funnest posts I've read in awhile and so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    I would recommend the Kershaw Skyline. I know a lot of people will think this is crazy, but I don't consider the Tenacious to be all that great of a value. It was for a time, but now we have knives like the Enlan EL-01 that cost half as much and offer the same in terms of quality and materials. With the Skyline, you get an American-made knife with very decent steel for the price, some very finely woven, rich feeling G-10, and an unconditional warranty. The design sits small in your pocket but fills your hand so it seems big enough for whatever little things you need it to do. The hollow grind slices exceptionally well, and the overall package is very lightweight.
    +1 i agree 100% you can a good kershaw knife made in china with g10 and 8cr13mov for around $20 why pay more???

crkt drifter is around $20 and its a good EDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information