Thread: Acid washing?

Acid washing?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have seen some completely nasty (in a good way) acid washed finishes out there. I have never even heard of or seen it before, can anyone give me some insight as to what it is? How is it done?

You could probably PM Jake Hoback and I'm sure he would be willing to share with you. His acid wash on my War Horse is pretty sweet.
    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

"Chance favours the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
    #929 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

Quote Originally Posted by 1SHOT1KILL View Post
    You could probably PM Jake Hoback and I'm sure he would be willing to share with you. His acid wash on my War Horse is pretty sweet.
    Thanks. I send him a PM, hopefully he will get back to me. His acid washed finishes look killer!

Heres a quick and breif way to do acid etching....

Use ferric chloride aka pcb etching fluid (you can get it at Radio shack). If a design is desired then map the design out with regular finger nail polish (white prefered) but any color would work.

Paint the design on and let the blade soak in the ferric chloride for (2) 15 minute cycles. Rinse with Hot water to neutralize the acid and check your blade. If the acid etch isnt as deep as desired, you can repeat this process over and over until you get what you want.

After that you can lightly touch the blade up with 2000 grit sand paper or steel wool to let the pattern "pop".

Thread Information