Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoooo Hooooo!!!!!

Talking Whoooo Hooooo!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have been wanting a proper hatchet for a looong time. Never have been able to save enough for a GB Wildlife, and in Canada, I can't get a Wetterlings for any cheaper then a GB.

So after a day spent outside practicing bow drill, and other various fire methods, I come inside and search for "vintage hatchet" on the ol' bay. And look what comes up with 20 minuets left!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130686700188?...ht_4956wt_1163

..... Oh yeah!!!!

Can't wait for this to arrive. Going to be a veeeerrryy fun project

Would love to see some already restored ones. Please feel free to post pics if you have one.

Opinions welcome.

Take care,
    Splitter
    The greatest battle any warrior faces, is the one within his own heart. ~ Ulfgrim
    Hearts in the past, mind on the present, eyes on the future. ~ The NorrŠna Society
    *************** BECKERHEAD #150 ***************

Congrat, Dude! Nice grab. I was looking at that one this evening, but withheld. I'm glad you snagged it!!

Thanks man
    The greatest battle any warrior faces, is the one within his own heart. ~ Ulfgrim
    Hearts in the past, mind on the present, eyes on the future. ~ The NorrŠna Society

Great bag WS!

It's a lovely pattern, my wee Japanese hatchet is based in this head style and I love it.

Be sure to show her off once she's been spruced up.
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Splitter View Post
    I have been wanting a proper hatchet for a looong time. Never have been able to save enough for a GB Wildlife, and in Canada, I can't get a Wetterlings for any cheaper then a GB.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130686700188?...ht_4956wt_1163
    Would love to see some already restored ones. Please feel free to post pics if you have one.
    Splitter nice one!

My opinion is it is as good as a GB. The broad blade makes a large contact area with the wood. The steel is very hard and chops great.

Interesting link with more info about it http://bit.ly/IozHID Made by Mann edge in PA with Scandanavia history.

Big brother 1.75lb

Let us know if your eye has this ridge on top

Good luck with it and keep it in good shape it will hold its value.

Excellent snag Wood Splitter. If you decide you want a Wetterlings in the future, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Howard

Very nice indeed!

Hey M3mphis (or anyone else who has the same hatchet), could you please tell me the length of the eye, and possibly the width of it (at its widest point)?

I just went out and bought the last handle my local hardware store had in stock. Perfect grain, made in Canada, but I'm conserned that the eye on my Norlund will be slightly bigger then the handle.

The eye on my handle is just a little bit over 1 1/2" long, and just under 1/2" wide (mind you that is with no wedge).

Thanks for any help.

And thanks for all the comments!

Splitter

Hey,

1 5/8" x 5/8" on mine.

I'll bet that handle will work once you take up the space with a wedge.

Thanks bud I'm pretty sure it should work okay.

I actually just finished sanding off the lacquer that was on it, and sanded it up to very worn out 220. Just going to oil it right now

So after a day spent outside practicing bow drill, and other various fire methods, I come inside and search for "vintage hatchet" on the ol' bay. And look what comes up with 20 minuets left!
    You use bow drills too? Cool!
    Have fun with that hatchet; post some photos once you receive it and get it hung on a handle!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow92 View Post
    You use bow drills too? Cool!
    Have fun with that hatchet; post some photos once you receive it and get it hung on a handle!
    Still learning, but yep! I sure do

Will defiantly post some pictures and possibly a video too.

So after a day spent outside practicing bow drill, and other various fire methods...
    Just curious, what other various fire methods were you practicing? I've tried a hand drill and flint/steel a few times, but never managed to get a coal or spark with either of them. For me, a bow drill is the most dependable way to start a fire, and really fast once you get the hang of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow92 View Post
    Just curious, what other various fire methods were you practicing? I've tried a hand drill and flint/steel a few times, but never managed to get a coal or spark with either of them. For me, a bow drill is the most dependable way to start a fire, and really fast once you get the hang of it!
    I was experimenting with a piece of quartz and an old file. I got a few pretty good sized sparks, but I ended up braking my quartz Flint is impossible to fine here in BC, so quartz is the only really suitable replacement. Aside from that, I carved out a bow drill kit from red cedar with my GB Scandinavian forest axe.

My personal favorite for fire lighting is a ferro rod. So I was trying different tinder's alot of the time. My favorite tinder is still fat wood, and birch bark. Those two are unstoppable both can be easily found in the woods as well

Still learning bow drill, but I am getting better everyday!

I haven't done a bow drill yet but I've started fires with my home made fire piston.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post
    I haven't done a bow drill yet but I've started fires with my home made fire piston.
    What did you use to make a fire piston??

I used a small piece of copper pipe with one end sealed as the tube and a slightly smaller galvinized spike as the plunger. The copper pipe has a smooth interior. I carefully filed two shallow grooves around the spike and fitted rubber o-rings into them. I cut the tip of the spike off flat and drilled a small depression into it. A piece of charcloth goes into the depression. Slam it together and voila! Fire - about 1 in 20 tries.

Apologies to Wood Splitter for taking his thread off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post
    Apologies to Wood Splitter for taking his thread off topic.
    Don't worry about it! its all good

By the way, I would really like to see a picture of your fire piston.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information