Thread: Kelly Flint Edge Axe- usable?

Kelly Flint Edge Axe- usable?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have recently restored a Kelly Flint Edge Axe and discovered its original 'flint edge' was worn down all the way to the 'head metal'. Is this axe still usable as a tool if I sharpened it, or is the steel going to be too soft?

If there's nothing left then pretty this one up and make it a wall hanger. It either got worn out by honest work or some grinder maniac went crazy on it, let it out to pasture.

Was the bit originally made out of different metal, i.e. - a forge welded bit? If so then your axe is done. But if it was made of all the same metal then you could harden and temper what remains.

Are you sure none of the tempered area is left? Give it a good soak in vinegar and the temper line should show up... if there's still some tempered steel left, then yes - it's usable given a good reprofiling and sharpening. If not, then it's probably a goner.

Even if there is some tempered steel left, you have to assess the profile of the head.. if enough of the bit has been worn or grinded away, the cutting edge/profile that's left will probably be very thick and not bite into wood nearly as well as it would have in its original state.

Thanks for all the info guys, unfortunately this axe is going to have to be a wall hanger. The original tempered edge has only about an inch in the center left to work with and the rest of the edge is down to the head. I am still glad I rescued it out of that persons garbage and completely restored it though, it looks very nice now.

Thread Information