Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two handed Tactical Short Sword

Two handed Tactical Short Sword

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi everybody.
    My two brothers and I have been making blades for some time, but are somewhat new to the "Forums"
    we have some loyal customers, but would like to expand, and offer our products to a larger audience.
    here are some pics of one of our favorite models, and it's just about done. I am not sure on the finish yet. Most swords of this type we would powder cote, or gunkote, but I am thinking about a satin, or parkerized finish. I know I know "Tactical" is way overused, but I use the term more to describe the style of the blade. which maybe historicaly inspired, but is made with more modern materials.

For this sword we use 5/16 thick 5160 spring steel heat treated in an atmosphere furnace.
    The overall length is 26in. the blade is 2 1/4in wide x 17in long at the hilt. the one in the pictures is flat ground all the way to zero. when I get a few more done, along with the kydex sheaths, I will post more pics.

a customer just sent us some pictures of one of our swords in use, so I hope to have a flickr photostream up and running soon. like I said I am just getting used to all these different forums and photo sites. thanks for looking.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by miller bros blades; 05-21-2012 at 10:59 PM.

That looks awesome!

do you have a website? shoot me an email with any info on other stuff you make. I like what you did there

Chris_p_porter1@yahoo.com

thanks for the interest. no website yet. i am not a computer expert. i wish i was, it would be done by now.
    the best way to get a hold of me is through email. you can get it by clicking on my profile.
    like i said i hope to have a photostream, and a facebook page up and running soon maybe even a website. I will keep you posted.

Looks like a modern variant of the Grosse Messer or a Bowie on steroids. I can't say it's something I'd buy, but it looks solid enough. I'm guessing the blade length is about 22-24"?

that particular model doesn't suit me much. It has WAY too much blade width for me to be interested in it, but i really like the details... very nice handle, nice scale detail, well finished

I'd like to see something similar but in a narrower blade with a slight curve, and with no back guard.

some of the pictures make it seem longer then it is. the overall length is 26in, the blade length is 17in it is double edged. everything above the plunge lines is sharp.

I don't mind the length. IMHO, the blade is just too wide. I prefer katana shaped blades, but that's pure preference.

the only other blade type that i like is gladius type short swords, but i don't see this as anything like a gladius

You should buy a knifemaker membership here and sell on the forum. Nice sword!
    Josh

That looks a lot like John Gage's Marauder, just with scalloped scales and a double guard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixelplix View Post
    You should buy a knifemaker membership here and sell on the forum. Nice sword!
    +1

This is a great community that can offer a lot of solid advice and exposure to new talent!
    R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

You definitely have skills, so please don't take this the wrong way, just some comments.

The handle/haft looks uncomfortable. Scales are too thin and angular to feel good in the hands if ever using it for real work (or combat). Looks like it could cause hot spots or real pain to the hand and fingers, might even drop it from impact shock.

Also, where is the balance point on this? Is this a stabber, a chopper?

I also can't get a good sense of the proportions of your sword, you should put a ruler next to it.

I hope I can answer your concerns. I'll start at the top an work down.
    you kind of have to hold it to tell if it is comfortable or not. and to me it is WAY more comfortable then say a Tops armagedon or steel eagle for example. IMO but I have big hands, and so far have had no complaints. as far as to thin keep in mind that it is 5/16 steel so along with the finger grooved 1/4in scales, I don't think it is to thin. the angled top and bottom is above and below where you grip it if that makes sense. no real problems as far a shock.
    The balance point is 1 and a 1/4in. from the hilts.
    by the way no offense taken. I welcome all comments.

Looks pretty good. Hows the heft? I'd love to see a video of this blade in action.

One question though. The grind near the tip looks a little funky. Is it meant to be curved like that? I was kinda assuming so because it looks like you've got a curved profile on one side of the tip and a flat on the other. Was that just to look cool, or is it deliberate.

Aesthetically, it looks functional, but I do prefer curves and symmetry on double-edged blades, so there's just something that rubs me wrong about the pommel and the grinds. Overall, execution looks pretty good.

I like the idea of a satin finish. That's something I struggle with on blades of that size. How do you do your finishing? Mostly machine, or hand work?

Also, welcome! You may want to get a Maker's membership if you want to keep posting your work. I know Spark will appreciate it. Keep up the good work.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

I have a way of doing most of the finish on the machine.
    as far as the symmetry goes, think large fighter that is back sharpened.
    in a CQB situtation you don't have to rotate your hands for a return swing. (just my thoughts)

Damn, this has a mighty fine Warhammer 40k vibe to it.

And I mean that in a good way. Keep up the work, I'd love to see some other pieces!

Nice handiwork.

Out of curiosity, how did you picture this combination (two handed, short, gladius-esque) being wielded? How would it handle differently than a one-handed short sword?

and what is the weight? My biggest concern with some of the tactical pieces today is that the heavy weight due to lack of distal taper and quite thick stock makes them unwieldy and not handle properly. Overall looks quite nice.

I also endorse the notion of becoming a paid member and throwing some pieces on the for sale section.

It is balanced not far in front of the hilt, so it can be used easily with one hand notice the grip has a swell in the middle so your hand does not slide down when you are using it one handed. also you have the option of two handing it for more power.
    this sword is designed, and capable for use against heavy targets.
    to answer gregorio's question, it is about two pounds, so i understand if it is not for everybody.
    I will probably sign up for a membership soon. thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by BePrepared View Post
    do you have a website? shoot me an email with any info on other stuff you make. I like what you did there

Chris_p_porter1@yahoo.com
    Got our Facebook page looking good, check it out at Miller Bros Blades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information