Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Emerson Knives geting heavier?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by mbjz View Post
    emerson seems to mislead people knowing most of us do adhere to nut and fancys limit of 4.0.
    man the comments on here are retarded.
    Uh Huh...

Retarded??? I was going off what you wrote! No one has a crystal ball and were not Psychic! My wife thinks I can read minds too but I cant, fron what you wrote, my theory was solid.

Nothing wrong with doing internet research or Nutnfancy but that should only be used as a data point or to have a different point of view. Carrying .005 oz lighter wont make any difference in the real world. Try it and you'll see. Maybe youd be bettet off using the Emerson you already purchased and have a SlimFast shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch and a sensible dinner.

Blog Entries
    man the comments on here are retarded..of course i told them i wanted to know the weight of a 2012 cqc 7 with WAVE FEATURE b/c my understanding was a non wave was lighter which would make sense so yes i specified which knife i was asking about...and yes when spyderco and benchmade and kershaw and crkt have the precise specs of thier knifes...whats emersons problem..for the money we pay they should be able to tell us which knife weights what.........well whatever i was able to find a hd 7 we'll see how much that one weights when it arrives...I'm done with this thread so don't bother me with these lame replies.obvioulsy anyone can handle an extra once or two if it was listed at 5oz i may have went with the mini cqc 7..thats all kids ..and remember always play with knives l8ers
    These imaginary 4 oz rules are garbage. I'll stick to my previous statement, if 5-6 ounces bothers you or is too heavy then you might need to reevaluate a few things. In this circumstance, Emerson is not the problem. If someone is unable to handle differing responses to the silliness, maybe choose their wording more carefully is in order. This makes it obvious that carrying a knife isn't for everyone, and way to make friends.

So let me get this straight. If my EDC knife weighs over 4oz and I carry keys and a smart phone as well, then my pants are going to fall off? lol hahahahahahahah First off, Nutinfancy’s reviews, although colourful are full of marketing and hype. He gets knives to review so he hypes them to help bolster sales. That’s his thing or his schtick. He’s like the Nancy Grace of the knife review world. Which I guess could be compared to being the Michael Phelps of the Special Olympics. He uses fancy terms he has made up to make it look like he’s some kind of expert. If you go by his 4oz rule, well then that’s on you. Personally, I carry whatever appeals to me and I don’t care what it weighs. I have had a number of Emerson knives and have carried them in everything from a suit to a set of BDUs in the field to jeans as well as shorts. Hell I think I have even carried one in the pocket of my PJ pants when lounging around the house from time to time. I have carried heavier folders as well. I’m not a big guy by any means but I’m not the kind of person to sweat a few ounces. Of course you do what you want.

As far as complaining about a knife spec? Well, it depends on how OCD you are about the little things. Here is what worries me with a folder... Does it lock up tight? Is it well made? Does it hold an edge well? I don’t think I have ONCE in 10 years looked at the weight of a knife let alone sweat a company's advertised weight. Have you ever read the fine print? Specs and prices subject to change without notice? Hmmmmmmmmm How bout’ that? Enjoy your new Emerson, it may not weigh what you thought it would but it will serve you proud.

The weight difference may not really mater in terms of carrying and using a knife, but in terms of advertising, I believe it does.

If there are measurement inaccuracies as large as stated, I think it makes a difference. If they (Emerson or their distributors) did decrease the advertised weight of their knives, they would be implying the knives are more advanced than they really are (however minor, it is false advertising). Light weight might be something of a craze, but it moves product.

If I cared that much about the weight of my knives and I compared many competitive offerings to Emerson based on weights -it would be quite disappointing to find them heavier than advertised (However artificial the desire may be). 3.5 compared to 5 is a 30% increase in weight -that is just plain inaccurate. Why even list the weight at all if it is not important?

Having said all that, the weight does not matter to me at all -and i also think you will enjoy the knife if you give it a chance. They way I look at Emerson knives, it is all about the winning designs and there are no competitors for those. That is my way of looking at it, but I do acknowledge that many other people make their purchases from an entirely different perspective. For all we know, if the weight was listed at 5 ounces the OP may have never bought his knife -and Emerson would not have made the sale -to me, this is where it matters.

(There is also the problem of who is inaccurately measuring the knives -which is the most important thing to consider here. Which party has the more accurate scale? -Hell if I know.)
    The only thing that we truly depend on for our lives is our mind. Everything else is just stuff that breaks.

Yeah but on THE EMERSON WEB SITE it plainly states tbat the CQC7 weighs in at 4oz and thats a fact, check it and see. If the OP's knife weighed 4oz as he stated, then whats the problem???

My bad, the OP said 5oz not 4oz. Maybe the scale used by the OP wasnt calibrated correctly... Im going to weigh mine when I get a chance, im just curious now.

...and if the lady who answered his call truly weighed the knife in at 3.5, then WTF is going on? Right?
    The only thing that we truly depend on for our lives is our mind. Everything else is just stuff that breaks.

Let me know if you are looking to sell the CQC-7; im currently in the market for one.

20 nickels weighs 100 grams which is a little less than 4 ounces. Use an accurate and recently calibrated scale, and after you weigh it, weigh it again on another scale. It has been my experience with most manufacturers that they are not in the business of weighing products for people on the phone. I have had people give me the wrong weights for everything from tent stakes to climbing rope. If you want to increase the chances of getting an accurate or at least repeatable weight from a manufacturer, call them a few times on different days at different times and ask the same question or submit an email detailing specifically what you are requesting, putting emphasis on the issues that are important to you. Typically if someone isn't under the gun knowing you are waiting, they are less likely to rush and make mistakes themselves. Email also makes it much easier to specify the exact model you are interested in, without sounding condescending by repeating yourself to clarify the details of the product you are asking about. Mini vs. Reg, Tanto vs. Spear, Chisel vs. V, hell even the blade coating and serrations will affect the total weight of a product. Specify if you are seeking the weight of the knife, as it would carry in the pocket, with zero packaging. Ask the right questions, and you will get the right answers.

This has to be the single most successful troll topic ever. Kudos 10/10

One of the few informative non-hateful posts in this thread haha

Just had some useful information to contribute to this thread. Sorry to bump a 5 month old topic!

This was an interesting phenomena I noticed recently as well. The Emerson CQC-8 I purchased measured in at 5.8 oz while the manufacturer's specifications list 4.6 . Another website (onestopknifeshop) lists it as 5.1. There seems to be evidence of this with every model that Emerson posts weight specs for.

Ruled out these things:

• Both liners on my 2012 CQC-8 are non-ferrous. I have to assume they're titanium haha.
    • Blade stock is still .125" (3.175mm).

I'm assuming it's a combination of these things. Haven't found too much evidence of these changes over the years unfortunately. Would love to have other CQC-8s to compare to one of these days just to see how the design evolved over the years.

• Emerson doesn't update their weight specs with each iteration of the knife. It's possible that the weight listed was the original weight when the knife was first introduced
    • G-10 and/or titanium stocks were thinner. For my CQC-8 the liner + scale measures in at .184" on the locking side and .164 on the non-locking
    • Thinner backspacer when the knife was originally introduced. My CQC-8 backspacer clocks in at .186"
    • Thicker stop pin. My CQC-8 has a stop pin with a diameter of .188"

Doesn't stop me from carrying the knife though. The combination of the stonewash blade/satin flats and the unfinished liners/handle scream workhouse. On top of that I have great memories from visiting the facilities where these knives are made

Wow, I have not replied here yet, but have seen the thread since last night and what the hell?

I'm no admin or modrator, but wht is this thread still open.

Its nothing but a dog pile over a stupid topic to begin with.

If I'm out of my lane. I apologize but if I were an admin I'd have closed this thread by now. Just my opinion.

Look at it this way,you just got an extra 1.5oz of pure Emerson awesome for free.They advertise the commander model I have been carrying daily since '02 @ 5.8oz,never once have I dropped it on a scale to check it,never even entered my mind.Maybe I'll weigh mine later and see.Will I quit carrying it after 10 years if it comes in @ 7oz? NO.Do I have lighter/smaller knives I rotate through my EDC for when clothing dictates something lighter/smaller? Yes. Maybe you should too. Enjoy your 7,give it a week and I guarantee you'll never look back.

For me its more about how the knife carries than the actual weight. The only people who care about ounces are drug dealers and nutnfancy.

If the knife fits, wear it.

Workout a little and you will never notice the 1.5 ounce difference

I've been edcing a bunch of crap for a while now. At first I carried an S2 Juice, a Stylus Pro, a Glock 26, and my blade was usually a Mini Grip or Delica. Over the last year the bulk has only gone up. Glock 19, E1B, Rebar, and Emerson knife of some kind easily over 4oz. I prefer this setup and have no complaints concerning comfort or the extra weight. YMMV.

My suggestion: get a belt

My most carried and absolute favorite Emerson on my 200g scale. Calibrated with 200g mass previous to this photo.

Great thread..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information