Thread: Cadet Carry

Cadet Carry

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just upgraded from the Classic to the Cadet and it is perfect for my needs. My question is why does nobody carry it on their key chain?

Before when I was researching it I could not find a single picture of one on a keychain, or a single EDC thread where people would mention it. To me it seems perfect for this, but I feel like the minority.

It is a popular EDC, I carry mine often. Not on a key chain though, too big for my taste, classic lives there.

It's too big for my preferences on a keychain. I carry a Rambler on my keychain and won't carry anything larger. But if it works for you, then terrific!

While the weight and size aren't out of the key chain realm. Having your keys attached to your Cadet can be aggravating if you have several keys attached.
    Grant

Wait wait wait. Before did you edc only a classic by itself? If so, that is impressive. Or are you just talking about keyring carry?

Speaking of which, I don't carry much with my keys because I heard it can mess with the ignition switch on your car

just key ring carry. it had supplemented my endura, and i practically never used the knife on it. for me the cadet really does just fit perfect, today it helped me work on the cb radio in my truck. it will definitely be staying on my key chain.

I have a leatherman micra on my keychain, so the cadet stays in the pocket, also I figure it's for the same reason I get tired of lanyards pretty quick even though I try one out now and again, I just don't like things on the end of the knife. Good question though.

sorry for the bad pic, my camera does't handle the alox well and my camera skills are nowhere near a match for that
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

JK Iris Knife Passaround

good point, i do not like lanyards either. strange how i like it on the key chain though.

I think the first time you really need the large screwdriver or file, you'll see why.

It's the same reason lots of us prefer Ramblers, Managers, or Minichamps on the keys instead of a Classic. The Classic has the blade open into a pile of keys, while the others don't. If you just have a couple keys, or a lot of patience when using the tools at the key ring end, you may be OK.

I have a buddy, whom I gifted a Cadet many years ago, who faithfully carries it on his keys. He has a big stack of keys too. But he's one of those rare guys who doesn't mind a big clunky pile of metal in his pocket.

I had a Cadet on my keys for a good while. Not on there at the moment but I never had any issues with it. I wouldn't carry anything larger in that spot though.
    ~ Nate

ya 3 keys and the cadet is the max i would go as far as size. i guess when i see pictures of peoples batman utility key chains, and how many items seem to be so unnecessary, in comparison to the cadet and its perfect span of utility i just dont get it.

but that is just my two pennies

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkCreekWalker View Post
    Speaking of which, I don't carry much with my keys because I heard it can mess with the ignition switch on your car
    That's what I always thought, in fact was so taught in mechanic training, and for many years repeated it as a cautionary. Then one day it occurred to me; in all that time, I never personally came across an instance of that happening.

Curious, I asked a couple of good mechanics I know with long decades of experience working on all kinds of vehicles if they ever saw damage to an ignition switch from heavy keychains. One said only twice, the other said never.

Therefore, although it is possible in theory and I have heard or read of it happening, I no longer bother with "correcting" the practice among people I know (my wife ) because plainly, there are more pressing issues to care about.

Cadet is nice but for my keys I love my mini champ.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

I've been EDCing a Cadet myself lately. I just drop it in my change pocket. My key ring has enough stuff on it already. Besides, it has a grocery store card on it. Don't want to make the store ladies (or guys) nervous by having a regular size pocket knife on the ring when they scan the card at checkout. The Classic is so little and cute that it's non threatening, not so the Cadet.

I prefer carrying my Cadet in the pocket and have a Midnight Manager on the keyring at all times, a lot of functions in a small package. I tried bigger knives than the Midnight Manager / Classic / etc., but found them too large.

I love my Cadet, but then I found the SwissBianco "Micro-Farmer/Cadet II Plus and fell in love. It'd be hard to use the saw with keys flopping around.

I carry my keyring (about 3 or so actual rings looped to each other) on a carabiner on my belt. Before I got into my Alox SAKs I used to carry my small Tinker on that carabiner; not literally on a key ring but rightnext to them.

If i may add my 02 cents to this thread i think carrying a Cadet swiss army knife on a key ring attached to a carabine would be best that is what i would do.

Thread Information