Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The cleaver discussion thread.....

The cleaver discussion thread.....

ADVERTISEMENT
    I would like to get one started. I love cleavers, old & new. I don't have anything special yet. I have an Old Hickory kitchen cleaver. But today, i was given an awesome cleaver by a friend, who had a friend give it to him. I know nothing about it. I would like to clean it up and have already started to do so. It has been pounded on severely with a hammer & the spine was mushroomed out 1/4" on each side. This cleaver will not be resold. I will keep it & use it. The handle is a little loose. I think it can be removed &/or tightened but not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The ruler is 12" for scale. Thickness is 1/2" wide at the handle & tapers to 1/4" at the foremost end of blade.

Removed hammer mushrooming, eh? I love cleavers but need to get my hands on more. The only one I have at the moment is this oddball one from an unknown maker. The "crenelated spine" is for use as a meat tenderizer. I'm culling some chickens today so it'll be getting a workout!

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

I only have two at the moment, one Old Hickory and a big Foster Bros. sheep splitter 19 inches LOA with a 13 inch blade. Best part is the very neat walnut handle on the foster. Someone decided to clean it up at some point ;-(.

Regards

Robin

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    I'm sorry but the silhouette of this reminds me of this:

Quote Originally Posted by JayGoliath View Post
    I'm sorry but the silhouette of this reminds me of this:
    lol !
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on gear needed for the backcountry.

Good eye Jay ;-)))

R

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
    I only have two at the moment, one Old Hickory and a big Foster Bros. sheep splitter 19 inches LOA with a 13 inch blade. Best part is the very neat walnut handle on the foster. Someone decided to clean it up at some point ;-(.

Regards

Robin

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    WOW I like that Foster Bros.! It's like a hybrid of a cleaver and a butcher's knife!

— Mervyn Peake

Hi Forty two, I have found a few of these up here in the boonies. They seem to have been a favourite of farmers who did their own slaughtering and meat cutting. I turned one into a wicked brush clearing machete, added boot sole leather handle scales and made up a sheath.

Regards

Robin
    [IMG][/IMG]

I like a short, sharp cleaver as an all-around kitchen knife. 5-6 in is about as handy as a santoku of equal length.

Here are most of mine. The top one I think is a lambsplitter. The second is the only one with a name- Leonard something or something Leonard, New York, in 30's-style lettering.
    The bottom two have my handles on them. I've always thought the little sqare-ish one was hand-forged, because of the tapering tang chopped off at an obtuse angle as if with a hardie.

hang on a second-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77365440/IMG_0015.JPG

No offense brother but, what did you clean that spine up with? It looks pretty rough. I think if you used a file it would have looked a lot better. Or a belt grinder.

I too love cleavers. I havean extensive collection that ive recetly started to sell off some of the doubles and less than perfect ones.

Uhhhhhhhhh....hmmm...interesting!

— Mervyn Peake

Well, i found out a little history on the cleaver. LM & KW, Lancaster NY. How cool is this---in business from 1896-1940 & known as the highest quality & best performing knives in the US market.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-borTo...M&KW-index.asp

I need some advise on these kind of handles please. This one is cracked in many places. Can it be saved & how. I cleaned it up, removed handle, cleaned off all the rust & gunk & reinstalled it. Put an edge on it. It will slice paper easily now. Did not disturb the makers mark i found. I can see a hammond line as well.
    Last edited by TwinStick; 05-09-2012 at 12:38 AM.

If you can open up the cracks enough to get some glue in them then they might be saved. Sometimes I'll even split a piece of wood open just to glue it better. Another option for smaller cracks is to mix some good wood glue with a little water to thin it and then inject the glue into the crack with a large hypodermic needle. Whatever you glue up needs to be clamped while it dries. Round objects can be 'clamped' with duct tape or bailing wire. I'm fond of Tite-Bond III but any good wood glue should work.

I love cleavers!! Here is my prettiest...

Whoa! Sleepy, that's badass.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on gear needed for the backcountry.

I have an old meat cleaver that says 'International Edge Tool Co. Newark .N.J. M.I. Germany' on the blade and says '79-9" ' near the handle. The person that owned it last used it as a hatchet, but its still in pretty good shape. Does anybody know anything about this company?

I KNEW someone would post that. Awesome. Seen it in another thread. Here is mine almost done. I wanted it this way. Did not want it all rusty & nasty. Some won't like it now, but i do.
    Wicked sharp now.

Quote Originally Posted by pullrich View Post
    Whoa! Sleepy, that's badass.
    Thanks pullrich, all respect goes to TM Hunt for making some badass cleavers. I'll post some more traditional cleavers when they return from their tune up.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information