Thread: becker bk16 vs esee 4

becker bk16 vs esee 4

ADVERTISEMENT
    Im so torn on which to buy. If the bk 16 had the normal becker sheath this would be a no brainer but I really like the sheath on the 16. I also love the fact the becker is about 25-30 bucks less than the esee but that esee warranty just wont let me go.

Would really like some input on these knives from guys who own them both if at all possible.

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    Can of worms time jk. The Kabar warranty is just as good. Granted you don't break it purposely in a vice or by throwing it. Anything else and they will pretty much have your back.

The bk16 is great. The bk17 is better

Quote Originally Posted by clich View Post
    Can of worms time jk. The Kabar warranty is just as good. Granted you don't break it purposely in a vice or by throwing it. Anything else and they will pretty much have your back.

The bk16 is great. The bk17 is better
    Well the Buck 110 im gonna stuff in that little pocket on the front of the sheath will cover my clip point needs.
    I know ka-bar has a good warranty as well I just like the esee even covers me being stupid.

Blog Entries

I just asked almost the exact same question in the Becker forum not too long ago. I can’t remember who, but someone posted side by side pics of the two. They are almost the exact same knife. If I didn’t already have an Esee 4 I would buy the Becker. You really cannot go wrong with either one. Both are great knives made by great people. I wouldn’t worry too much about either of their warranties; unless you purposefully try and break it I have never heard of either one turning down a claim.
    "The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." - Author Unknown
    RP#215 BH#238

In my garage, huffing bleach for your new etch
    Well its my general understanding (as a person not affiliated with Kabar) that the stipulations on the warranty are to prevent the main problem esee has with theirs, people breaking knives just to get new ones. A Becker will last a lifetime if you use it as a knife, and even if you beat it like it stole your milk money. And if it fails Kabar should have your back. I've seen some knives replaced that should have never been replaced under their warranty restrictions, and ill leave it at that. I wouldn't worry at all. I don't. I strip mine, grind em, dunk em in acid for a sweet patina and all that voids the warranty. But I can't imagine breaking one. And if I did it was because I needed it to do something beyonds any knife's limits. And I'm not bear grylls so I hope I'm never in such a situation.

I'm with Clich, you're not going to have a problem with replacing a broken knife from Kabar. Or breaking it to begin with. I had an esee4 and while a good knife, two things bothered me.

I could never get used to the handle. It just always felt as if the end of my hand was hanging off it. I got a better grip from the Izula 2. Most people don't have an issue with it but enough do to say it could be a problem.

The second thing I hated was the choil. You do not need a choil on a knife this size. Bring the edge back and hold the knife by the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by clich View Post
    Well its my general understanding (as a person not affiliated with Kabar) that the stipulations on the warranty are to prevent the main problem esee has with theirs, people breaking knives just to get new ones. A Becker will last a lifetime if you use it as a knife, and even if you beat it like it stole your milk money. And if it fails Kabar should have your back. I've seen some knives replaced that should have never been replaced under their warranty restrictions, and ill leave it at that. I wouldn't worry at all. I don't. I strip mine, grind em, dunk em in acid for a sweet patina and all that voids the warranty. But I can't imagine breaking one. And if I did it was because I needed it to do something beyonds any knife's limits. And I'm not bear grylls so I hope I'm never in such a situation.
    Well that sums it up then looks like ill be ordering a bk16 now to find some cool micarta scales for it muahaha.
    Thanks for all the input

I agree with the choil on the esee it just seems a bit pointless to me

I'll have to agree with all the comments above. I contemplated the ESEE 4 vs. the BK 16 and the Becker won.

1. The biggest issue was the "finger choil" on the ESEE
    2. Prefered the ergonomics of the Becker handle
    3. The BK 16 handle is slightly longer, and fit my hand better (though those with large/larger hands may still have issues).
    4. Price Point

ESEE does have the better sheath and micarta grips to make the price moot, but the MOLLE straps on the BK16 are suffice for my needs, and while the micarta is an upgrade, I still don't care for the ergo's on the ESSE. However, I'm sure I'll upgrade to some contoured micarta grips for the Becker.

I like both companies and own several of their products. I would rather go with the Esee 4 as it includes a premium kydex sheath, no questions asked warranty, micarta handles and IMHO better heat treat and quality blade steel. I don’t like piecing together micara handles and kydex sheath after purchasing the becker because in the end, you usually have just about the same amount of money into your Becker compared to the Esee . I would rather reward the knife company by purchasing it all together at once.

BK16 doesn't like to take nor keep an edge as long, in my personal experience. Anyone can feel free to criticize my sharpening skills, but all my other knives are shaving sharp. However as soon as that one becomes shaving sharp, goes in the sheath, then comes back out, it would rather tear paper than cut it. And jesus, I had to reprofile the crap out of it because the original angle was what you'd call a "hard working edge". Beautiful knife though. Love the ergonomics.

The Kabar Limited Warranty covers only the original owner of the knife, so if i buy it on ebay, they wont replace it if something happens to it? I'm buying the BK16

bump :P

Quote Originally Posted by LEBRON JAMES View Post
    The Kabar Limited Warranty covers only the original owner of the knife, so if i buy it on ebay, they wont replace it if something happens to it? I'm buying the BK16
    If that's what the warranty says, I'd take it at its word.

Thread Information