Thread: Case mini copperhead wharncliffe or Queen #46?

Case mini copperhead wharncliffe or Queen #46?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Do any of you kind gentlemen own both, or have handled both? I am interested in this pattern and am curious if one has better fit/finish, etc? On the Queen I don't care if it is the 420 or D2 version. I would have to order them as no brick/mortar store stocks them near me. On the Queen, are the blades ground thin behind the edge (not worried about edge angle, which can be addressed)? I've had a few of their folders who's blades were entirely too thick.
    Thank you,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevomiller; 05-10-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

I don't have the Queen but I can say that my Case is very close to perfect.
    Rest in peace Bill. Yol Bolsun! May there be a road and may you find peace along it.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Thx protourist! The Case is the lesser priced, nice to know the quality is high.

I don't have any experience with the Case, but I do have a Queen #46. It's a gem of a knife. Queen has this pattern down pat. The walk and talk on mine is superb, a challenging task when two blades of dissimilar sizes share a single backspring.

- Christian

Would that be these two?

The fit and finish are better on the Queen, and unusually, the blades are ground thinner than the Case. Mine is the Dan Burke collaboration, which may make a difference.
    Last edited by yablanowitz; 05-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Beautiful knives, both of them. I would like to get my hands on a Queen. They are very nearly the same size, so I'm sure I would like it. Thanks for sharing the comparison foto. I like the bone on the Case.

Ed J

Is the winerbottom bone on the Dan Burke Queens actual bone? I've seen a lot of Queens with fake (delrin) winterbottom. If it's real bone, I might just have to get one of these.
    -Aaron

Yep, the DB Queen is real bone. It's one of the few pieces in my Winterbottom collection that is actual bone.

OK, next question: What is winterbottom bone? Is it something special, or does that just refer to the color/jigging?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...terbottom-Bone

Winterbottom was the name of the guy that created the jigging style.

EDIT 2: And this:

http://www.knife-expert.com/bonehand.txt
    Last edited by Planterz; 05-09-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    -Aaron

I have the mini-Copperhead and EDC it quite a bit as it is work-friendly. I'd sure like one of those Queen half-whittler's too.

11. I have a similar 3-blade Wharncliffe whittler from Schatt & Morgan (Queen). The blades are ground thin on this one unlike some of the other knives from Queen. It's a split backspring which is more complicated to get right and they did a great job. It's a very well built knife.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d-Jigged-Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    Yep, the DB Queen is real bone. It's one of the few pieces in my Winterbottom collection that is actual bone.
    I thought that I liked the bone on my Case until I saw yours. That little Case of yours is a beauty.
    Rest in peace Bill. Yol Bolsun! May there be a road and may you find peace along it.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    The fit and finish are better on the Queen, and unusually, the blades are ground thinner than the Case. Mine is the Dan Burke collaboration, which may make a difference.
    I don't think that's it. Buzzbait loves his Robeson. I have a theory that knife companies make some patterns better than others. Like Case with the swayback jack , Queen does a bang-up job with the half-whittler.

- Christian

Thanks for all the input and pictures, I appreciate it. Kamagaong, it's encouraging to hear the #46 is a pattern Queen does especially well.
    I will post a review after I get my new baby.
    Best,
    Steve

Thread Information