Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restoration of Grandpa's hunting knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    Great story, CM. I'm sure your GrandDad is very pleased.

I love those old Cats! Recently I worked on one for a local lady. It was her Dad's, and she wanted it spruced up to pass on to her son, who's an outdoorsy type and finishing college this year. She said her Dad used it on every camping, fishing, hunting trip etc he went on when she was growing up and beyond. It's clearly been heavily used, but the guy knew how to take care it, too.
    The knife itself was so solid all I did was touch up the edge a bit - I talked her into leaving the 50-60 years' worth of patina alone. We made a new sheath for it and boom, heirloom. (sorry for piggybacking on your thread bro, but it's also a Grampa's knife being passed on, so I wanted to share )

Last edited by james terrio; 05-29-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Terrio HandMade Knives subforum

Beckerhead # 350

Member, AKTI and KnifeRights

Blog Entries
    I think I can finally step back and say it's finished. Don't watch the vid if you around sensitive ears.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the knives I cannot buy, the budget to buy ones I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
    http://www.youtube.com/CMFTWknives
    Support Your Local Outlaw Knifemaker!

Well done, Matt. You have my condolences regarding your grandfather.

I have an old 225Q from an antique store here. The two holes are there for a thick U-shaped staple that re-enforces the Butt. I've got a document file around here with the Cattaraugus patent or copyright or bid drawings, whatever it was, that shows the construction details. I'll forward it to you when I find it.

I've seen many hard-used Kabars & Camillus Combat knives over the years with loose handles and loose butt caps, but out of seven or eight Cat 225Q's, I've never found a loose handle, guard, or butt cap.

You did a fantastic job on that one.

~Chris
    Last edited by orca8589; 05-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    I'm on an indefinite hiatus from forums participation. Other life priorities right now. I can be contacted through my profile.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...om-bladeforums

I really like the finished product. Has a lot of character to it. Normally your stuff isnt my style, but this one I really like. Your skills have really been increasing over the last while. Keep it up.

Blog Entries
    I have been wearing this one for the last 2 days with no end in sight. Very fun build with minimum foul language coming from the garage. The look of the new profile looks kinda like the results of a Veitnam SOG having Black Velvet fueled one night stand with a knife that said she was a Randall.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the knives I cannot buy, the budget to buy ones I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Mike View Post
    The look of the new profile looks kinda like the results of a Veitnam SOG having Black Velvet fueled one night stand with a knife that said she was a Randall.
    Nice one CM.
    At the feast of EGO everyone sits at the same table, hungry.

Blog Entries
    Here is my grandmother making her best war face. She absolutely loved the restoration.

What a great thread.

Great story and nice restoration.

Tell your grandmother: "You don't scare me! Work on it!"

Well she scares me all to heck. I'm not gonna mess with that 'ol lady!!!

Carl.
    Last edited by jackknife; 07-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow F Call View Post
    Great story and nice restoration.

Tell your grandmother: "You don't scare me! Work on it!"
    Hahaha. I thought roughly the same thing, but it seems a Marine quote in a thread about the resto of a 20th Armored Div knife might not be correct, so......

I have a new mid-tech knife coming soon! The Dart Personal Knife will be out around March 2015. Email or message me for more details. The website will be up soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information