Thread: Anyone dull the edge in front of the choil ?

Anyone dull the edge in front of the choil ?

ADVERTISEMENT
    When I place my fat index finger in front of the flipper I nick my index finger anyone dull the edge there?

No need. Keep doing it and your finger will slim down in no time.

I wish it would come dulled. I hated the choil on the XM I had. Rather useless in my opinion without being dulled.

I think there was/is talk of an option of the choil being removed in possibly the next generation of the XM18 so that the cutting edge can be longer also!

Quote Originally Posted by hhski View Post
    When I place my fat index finger in front of the flipper I nick my index finger anyone dull the edge there?
    Yes, I have seen people post that they knocked off the corner/point where the back edge of the blade meets the choil. I don't personally do it as I rarely use the choil.

Give some thought, I'd recommend staying behind the flipper before "easing" the edge. Yes, you can always re-sharpen but...
    I can't recall, is this a 3" you just got?

I would never purposely dull any part of my XM.
    To me that would be like putting a BFA on the front of my handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker96 View Post
    I think there was/is talk of an option of the choil being removed in possibly the next generation of the XM18 so that the cutting edge can be longer also!
    Kind of like on the ZTs?

And to answer the OP's q--Nope, not me. Choil is fine when needed. Has not cut me just pokes a bit. No harm, no worry.

I'll say this about "modifying" a Hinderer (or anything like an XM)....

- I am not and never will be smarter than Rick.
    - The day I think I can "improve" my Hinderer - I will mount the nearest Pig and order him to "Fly Pig"
    - I would have to have owned and used the knife for a very long time and only after that much time and careful consideration would I even consider such a thing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now, for some reason I have a hankerin' for some bacon.....Mmmmm b a c o n

Anything with bacon in it is OK with me so I guess I can agree with RubiconSS's post.

Also, the choil does give the XM that distinctive blade shape apart from any ZT.

Thanks for all the replies. I've nicked my index when placing my finger in front for more precise control. Not a biggie but I worry it could be a bigger injury next time.

I did a few passes with a diamond stone on just the pointy edge that would get me. You cannot notice I did it ;-)
    Don't you know I like knives?

When using the choil on the XM you just have to be extra cautious and keep your finger pressed against the flipper like your pulling a trigger. And a skinny finger might help too.

How does that old saying go?.......A bad workman always blames his tools.

Its not the choil at fault, its your fingers so harden up, toughen up, & build up a callus.

Blog Entries
    I've had no issues with mine but I suppose it could be done if you wanted to. I doubt you would get cut unless you had a loose grip.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker96 View Post
    i really hope not. something about the way the whole thing looks tells me i dont want to see it change one bit. I think the ZT056x look a liitle more generic because of it. The added cutting edge would be nice, however i like it the way it is.... to each his own i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by snowreaper1 View Post
    When using the choil on the XM you just have to be extra cautious and keep your finger pressed against the flipper like your pulling a trigger. And a skinny finger might help too.
    Give Rob a shout via PM and ask if you can do this or not. I don't have troubles as I adhere to RCon's advice and stay behind the flipper/finger guard.

I have a couple of fixed blades with choils that "were" too tight, resulting in the same little bites. It only takes about a minute (being extremely careful) and lightly sand the apex of the corner where the choil meets the main bevel. You can't even see it - but problem is solved and still looks as if from the factory.

Again, get permission and/or advice from Rob O, before doing this. I doubt you'll have any trouble. A nutless monkey could do it - and do a good job too!

Thanks for all the replies. I've nicked my index when placing my finger in front for more precise control. Not a biggie but I worry it could be a bigger injury next time.
    Your knife was showing you some love, that was a little smootch. My Hinderers give me smootches on a regular basis as a matter of fact if one looks at some of my posted pics there is blood in many of them. Whether after a stint in the WEPS or an errant finger placement - Smootch "Ouch" and a letting of the blood. I just make more

Thread Information