Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Any G10 Tweener love?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Home of the Thunder
    Posts
    1,949

    Any G10 Tweener love?


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Just received a few sets of black G10 in the mail today. Tried to snap a few quick pictures while there was a break in the rain. I love the look, the extra weight and the extra thickness. It really gives it more of a feel simular to a Bark River Bravo. I plan on doing some file work to them to create a little more texture to improve the grip. What do you guys think of them?





  2. #2
    Thats funny! I asked a similar question earlier about g10 and beckers and came across this! They look great! Where did you get them from if i might ask?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cantukey
    Posts
    1,185
    Awesome.

    Nut how do they compare in size/ thickness/ shape to the stock scales?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,097
    I like G10 as a handle material, but hate working with it.
    Bet it's awesome on a tweener.
    Beckerhead #int((2/3)*100)
    My knives, etc.: http://crosstownoutdoors.wordpress.com/
    "You have to admit it's a good looking heart attack." --Tradewater

  5. #5
    What makes it so hard to work with? I am considering doing something like this to my bk7 and bk2 when it comes in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    14,613
    Very cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    345
    Looks really good. man you must have some meathooks on you. Those badboys are thick!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    904
    Very cool, could you email me who made them?
    Thanks,

    -orangish ducktape

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,097
    Quote Originally Posted by brward View Post
    What makes it so hard to work with? I am considering doing something like this to my bk7 and bk2 when it comes in.
    it's hell on cutting tools. dulls 'em quick - like bandsaw blades, files.
    I had a nice chat with Paul LeTourneau (PMLknives here) about G10, and our conclusion was that high-speed aggressive abrasives are the way to go to shape G10. Also, the dust is NASTY (glue-covered glass powder). Some day I'll have the right machine. But if you're thinking about hand-sanding, sawing, and filing - stick with micarta or wood.

    -Daizee
    Beckerhead #int((2/3)*100)
    My knives, etc.: http://crosstownoutdoors.wordpress.com/
    "You have to admit it's a good looking heart attack." --Tradewater

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,637
    Nice!

    Did you shape them yourselves or did you buy them as a finished set? Are these from saintcutlery?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mile High City
    Posts
    1,480
    Nice. It looks like they would fill the hand a little more. I've got M/L sized mitts and I've been thinking the factory zytel is a tad thin...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Home of the Thunder
    Posts
    1,949
    Here's a pic of the Tommythowho wood scales(Left), factory scales (middle), and the G10 (Right). The G10 isn't much bigger.


  13. #13
    They look great. I have medium/large sized hands and would like to put on thicker scales or maybe some linars. I would like to see what you do to those after your done. Thanks for posting.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Beckerhead #205 Western Australia
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by daizee View Post
    it's hell on cutting tools. dulls 'em quick - like bandsaw blades, files.
    I had a nice chat with Paul LeTourneau (PMLknives here) about G10, and our conclusion was that high-speed aggressive abrasives are the way to go to shape G10. Also, the dust is NASTY (glue-covered glass powder). Some day I'll have the right machine. But if you're thinking about hand-sanding, sawing, and filing - stick with micarta or wood.

    -Daizee
    Surprised you find that cos in my experience micarta is much harder to work with.




    UCPO, I'll have some form of G-10 on my 15 and 17 when I get them eventually but for the 16 I'm sticking with micarta. As for your G-10, I dont like buffed micarta or G-10 but overall that looks very well made and like you said looks like a BRKT type handle now.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Home of the Thunder
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by CamH_16 View Post
    Surprised you find that cos in my experience micarta is much harder to work with.




    UCPO, I'll have some form of G-10 on my 15 and 17 when I get them eventually but for the 16 I'm sticking with micarta. As for your G-10, I dont like buffed micarta or G-10 but overall that looks very well made and like you said looks like a BRKT type handle now.
    I actually agree with ya Cam, G10 seems easier to work with then micarta to me. They are too slick for my taste so I will rough them up and do some file work to them.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,382
    looks really good. are they from Saint on Fleaby?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Duluth MN
    Posts
    710
    That is a pretty sweet lookin blade.
    Becker Head #94



    *Formally B.G. Leatherworks.

    Quote Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
    Zebra tested and Beckerhead approved.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Just south of Chicago. Beckerhead#173
    Posts
    2,466
    Another reason why I need a tweener....



    Quote Originally Posted by DJG097 View Post
    What kind of A-hole quotes himself?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •