Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why?

ADVERTISEMENT
    IMO it's because of the protectionist culture that stemmed from watching way too many slasher movies along with other things. People are paranoid that because someone has a simple pocketknife on them they're automatically a criminal because that's what the protectionists want them to think. It's insane, overrational, and just plain dumb, but it's the same culture that is taking away our Second Amendment rights, freedom of speech (PC issues, think of the students in California getting sent home on Cinco de Mayo for American flag shirts) and eventually our right to pursue happiness. They are trying to control us, make us all exactly the same, and make us all unable to defend ourselves from the real criminals. A car will kill you if it hits you, but it's still a person driving the thing. Should we outlaw those too?

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle View Post
    I don't carry an iPod or lipstick (strike that - I don't carry an iPod), but I don't poop my pants and throw a hissy fit when I see someone who does. I don't enact anti-iPod legislation, or create and promote workplace policies to ban the iPod. I don't b*tch at people when I see an iPod in their pocket. I just don't carry an iPod. But my parents never dropped me on my head when I was a baby (well, maybe once), so I don't hate other people's inanimate objects.
    BOOM, destroyed. This is going to make people who ask why I carry stop and think for a second.

Just to add to the other excellent observations posted on this thread -- I think there is a long history of popular culture portraying knives as the chosen devices of both murder and intimidation by the Bad Guys. Many albeit excellent movies/ plays/ novels have helped reinforce that point throughout the years -- "West Side Story," "Blackboard Jungle," "Rebel Without a Cause," "Wait Until Dark," "Chinatown," "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Halloween," "Friday the 13th," "Scream," "Silence of the Lambs," etc.

For every positive portrayal of the knife (e.g., "The Edge"), there have been countless negative portrayals.

I think this has helped embed that concept into the public psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle View Post
    The short answer:

1 - many people have a pervasive belief that they are weak, victimized and oppressed, which is usually brought about by poor parenting
    2 - their response is to attack or otherwise seek revenge on those who they perceive as their superiors, their oppressors or any person or institution they believe is "winning" at life. They believe that something "unfair" must have resulted in them being weak and victimized, while someone else is strong and "winning".
    3 - to them, a knife is objective evidence that the other person is in some respects "superior", because the knife allows the knife owner to impose his will on the weak. And as they believe it is "unfair" for someone else to be superior, they feel morally justified in creating workplace environments, social morays and statutes of law which prevent other persons from carrying knives. After all, its only "fair" that the oppressor be made weak and oppressed.

Notice that I said "belief" and "perceive" and "feel", because this worldview is purely subjective and emotional. Those who feel weak and victimized are not in actually objectively weak and victimized, and those who they believe are "superior" or "stronger" or "better" are not actually so. Its all about perception and emotion.
    I'm late to the party, and I know people have said this already, but I just wanted to reiterate that this is the most accurate depiction of modern day thinking, both knife-related and not.

Thanks for putting it so eloquently and simply, Powernoodle

I'll add to say that the same reason people don't carry knives is also the reason why they don't store food, carry flashlights, or keep gardens. None of these are violent, or really that weird. However, society has grown so cushy and coddling, that they feel like they won't need it because they will always have electricity and buy pre-cut neatly packaged food from the grocery store

Most packaging is designed to be easily opened with a knife, and the things people usually use knives for are no longer so prevalent (firewood, carving/whittling, skinning, etc). The things that you still need to be cut can be done with a set of safety scissors. Society is DESIGNED to be in a way that you aren't required to have a knife........for now.
    Last edited by res1cue; 05-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.

What JFrame said. Knives have an image problem, and the image is that gangsters carry knives.

Quote Originally Posted by ConBon View Post
    BOOM, destroyed. This is going to make people who ask why I carry stop and think for a second.
    After a second they'll reply that ipods and lipstick aren't weapons. Everyone knows that "anything can be used as a weapon", but tactical knives are
    weapons. That's their purpose. If I saw someone whipping out a Military, Rajah II or some other large folder I'd be wary of the person. Why should I assume that a stranger knows proper knife handling skills or assume that he is a good person?

And that's entirely the point. It has nothing to do with "liberal indoctrination", voting democrat or republican, or the "superiority" idea that some seem to think is reality. Most people don't trust strangers with large, pointy weapons. If you have no idea what someone's background or intentions are why would you trust him? People "freak out" because 1) they aren't expecting others to carry large, tactical knives and 2) if they don't know you why should they feel secure around you? This has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment, carrying rights, or anything. Knives are not commonplace and the tactical ones that people carry look threatening. With all the talk of "knives for self defense" on here it's hilarious to see people choose "the best knife for self defense" and then consequently flip out when people recognize that they are carrying a weapon. There must be some sort of mental disconnect there to not realize that, yes, tactical knives are weapons and people are rightly recognizing them as such.

So, try carrying a traditional slipjoint around. Try a peanut, a swayback jack, a medium stockman or some other useful pattern. Get one with some nice chestnut bone or stag scales. People probably won't freak out and if they do you can use it as an opportunity to extend a bit of knowledge and courtesy as an ambassador of the knife community.

I have never had someone ask me why I have a knife, mainly because when I’m in a area where there is a lot of people I just unclip it and put it at the bottom of my pocket. If I have my fixed blade, it’s in my Maxpedition Gearslinger and no one sees it anyway. There is a difference between legality and political correctness. It’s not about superiority unless you’re imposing your will on others. If your knife, clipped in your pocket, bothers someone else who is not used to it, why not just conceal it or not wear it? I don’t see the big deal actually.

Why do people freak out about someone carrying a knife? Because they have lost all common sense. They have been brain damaged by the disease that is liberalism. I really don't care what people think but I am getting sick and tired of being searched everywhere I go in public and being made to feel like a criminal because I carry a pocket knife. It's time we start fighting back. Are we going to live free or not? Bottom line. Without a warrant most of these searches going into football games and other public places and events are unconstitutional. This is what needs to stop. I don't really give a crap if some likes or dislikes me carrying a knife. It's called liberty and my liberty is none of their business.
    T

Not to alienate people on a knife forum or anything, but I think the answer's pretty obvious... it's really easy to hurt people if you have a knife.

We like to say here that knives are just tools as if it were some secret known only to us, but everyone knows that. And why should people take notice if it's used correctly. There's nothing out of the ordinary there. But people have an odd habit of staying away from whatever has been known to hurt that's not under their control. This example, a stranger with a knife who isn't using it occupationally.

As others have said already, just take it in context, and understand we're not really all that special here. For every time someone here calls non-forumites "sheeple," imagine how many times he's also being called "sheeple" for being a citizen of some country, for not buying into some conspiracy theory, for not being a vegetarian/vegan, etc. People are just this way, and there's no way around it. Make a list of every single quality about yourself and every single opinion you have, and I'm sure the majority of those are reason for someone out there to give you flak, whether in jest or out of sheer, misguided ignorance.

Anyone else see the irony in many of these arguments?

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

After a second they'll reply that ipods and lipstick aren't weapons. Everyone knows that "anything can be used as a weapon", but tactical knives are weapons. That's their purpose. If I saw someone whipping out a Military, Rajah II or some other large folder I'd be wary of the person. Why should I assume that a stranger knows proper knife handling skills or assume that he is a good person?

And that's entirely the point. It has nothing to do with "liberal indoctrination", voting democrat or republican, or the "superiority" idea that some seem to think is reality. Most people don't trust strangers with large, pointy weapons. If you have no idea what someone's background or intentions are why would you trust him? People "freak out" because 1) they aren't expecting others to carry large, tactical knives and 2) if they don't know you why should they feel secure around you? This has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment, carrying rights, or anything. Knives are not commonplace and the tactical ones that people carry look threatening. With all the talk of "knives for self defense" on here it's hilarious to see people choose "the best knife for self defense" and then consequently flip out when people recognize that they are carrying a weapon. There must be some sort of mental disconnect there to not realize that, yes, tactical knives are weapons and people are rightly recognizing them as such.

So, try carrying a traditional slipjoint around. Try a peanut, a swayback jack, a medium stockman or some other useful pattern. Get one with some nice chestnut bone or stag scales. People probably won't freak out and if they do you can use it as an opportunity to extend a bit of knowledge and courtesy as an ambassador of the knife community.
    Thanks for clearing that all up. I hand't realized this, and I'm really glad to know that someone around here has it all figured out. Also, where does one go to have their opinions elevated to something like a natural law...the legislature? God? Nature? I just hope that when some other know-it-all decides that my edc SAK is a weapon because it's over an inch long, has a point, and is sharpened, that they too have a satisfactory substitute for me to use similar to what you've proposed above.

I don't give a shit what people think and I love when someone freaks out if I open a package with a sebenza because I like a good laugh.

Sorry buy it ain't too distant from the reality of it.

There have been very good points made so far but I am surprised there has been as little mention as there has been on this because I think it is an important factor. Movies. Some might argue that people are not so dumb that they can not tell the difference between fantasy and reality but I'm not so sure. I think a lot of people really ARE that dumb. They see a knife being used in whatever capacity, recall the countless standard villains with his standard weapon. (Remember Commando? "Slitting a little girl's throat is like cutting warm butter." 1+1 = 2 right? I'm just saying this is part of it.

I get an infraction almost everytime I post even when it's obviouly meant in humor, are some of the mods little kids now or something? Sorry for using the S word, learn to sensor the site if it's that hard on your eyes. Off topic sorry but I'm gettin a bit sick of the constant barrage of random infractions lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Thanks for clearing that all up. I hand't realized this, and I'm really glad to know that someone around here has it all figured out. Also, where does one go to have their opinions elevated to something like a natural law...the legislature? God? Nature? I just hope that when some other know-it-all decides that my edc SAK is a weapon because it's over an inch long, has a point, and is sharpened, that they too have a satisfactory substitute for me to use similar to what you've proposed above.
    I agree with you on this. I love when a person says a tactical knife is a weapon. Tactical is a word not an object. My backpack has a tactical sling, does that mean it’s a weapon? My flashlight is a tactical flashlight... I guess that’s a weapon too. People make me laugh. There are plenty of big knives that are not tactical and have been used as weapons. In fact I find that if you studied the history of crime in N. America and looked at every knife related incident and out of those incidents found which crimes were committed with “tactical" knives you would find that it’s a very small amount. A tactical knife is a tactical knife because a company called it one. It’s not like an automatic or semi-automatic firearm that is so because of it’s operation. Tactical is a name and that’s it. A fighting knife is not a tactical knife.
    Last edited by USAFSP; 05-13-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Tim got in trouble for the "S" word...Tim got in trouble for the "S" word.
    "I think, therefore I am."-Descartes

Old School AFCK in M2 for sale
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...K-M2HSS-PE-BLK

I agree with you on this. I love when a person says a tactical knife is a weapon. Tactical is a word not an object
    Yes, exactly. I mean who decided that my knives were "tactical", or a "weapon" just because they may have the capability to be opened with one hand, or because they may have a pocket clip (or longer than 2-3in). These are two features I find quite handy when I'm fishing, and I never thought of myself as being in combat, or tactical while fishing. Go figure.

P.S. Tim616,

Don't feel so bad, you're not alone. I got my first warning on this forum (or any other for that matter) for "political" discussion because I used the words "liberal indoctrination" in my original comments in this thread. Was told I could "move on" if I didn't straighten up. I'm just glad sarcasm isn't considered political discussion, or I'd be booted out of here post haste.

But seriously now, even though I didn't think my two words would have had strong political ramifications, it's kind of silly to suggest that a thread like this one, which began with a question about "society" doesn't have political undertones, or that many of the comments here don't either. Society, even in its most basic forms, have always been guided by some sort of political organization and political thought that influences they way its participants think and act (even moderators), and this thread is just another example of that. I honestly don't think you can have a conversation like this without it being at least superficially political in nature, but I also don't think it warrants removal to the "political forum" just because it is societal in nature. (Whispering... Still, I wouldn't want to upset Blues again...I'm just glad I didn't mention that "C" word).
    Last edited by Doug S; 05-14-2012 at 04:48 AM.

I usually keep any fixed blades I have with me in my maxpedition gearslinger as well but I just got a tiny Bark River Essential EDC fixed blade that looks fairly gentlemanly in its finely stitched sharpshooter sheath and I have been wearing it all over the place on my belt with no worries so far. This is my first small EDC sized fixed blade and I am quite enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Goat Forge View Post
    I usually keep any fixed blades I have with me in my maxpedition gearslinger as well but I just got a tiny Bark River Essential EDC fixed blade that looks fairly gentlemanly in its finely stitched sharpshooter sheath and I have been wearing it all over the place on my belt with no worries so far. This is my first small EDC sized fixed blade and I am quite enjoying it.
    I was just looking at one of those myself. Great looking knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Fanglekai View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with parenting, feeling like a victim, or anything related to superiority.

I think it's more along these lines:
    Most people have no need to carry a knife. I carry a knife every day and most days there's not much I really need to use it for. The same is true for most people: they don't do anything on a day to day basis that requires a knife. Since there's no need for most people to carry a knife, those that don't carry one don't see why those that do choose to do so.

Then you have the transition of knife from tool to weapon. Kitchen knives are still seen as tools because people are familiar with that scenario. Seeing a farmer or a boy scout with a knife is familiar and also falls under "knife as tool". Since most people don't have any use for a knife in an urban environment the knife is seen as a weapon, not a tool, because there is no apparent use for a knife other than to stab someone.

Add to this the "tactical" designs that have run rampant. Did grandpa carry a rajah II or a ZT301 on the farm? Nope. Tactical knives are designed to be used as weapons. That seems to be what tactical aims for anyway.Try using a slipjoint in place of a huge tactical folder and you'll probably get a different response from people. Traditional slipjoints don't tend to look very threatening and they are certainly not designed for urban tacticool mall ninja combat scenarios.
    One of the most coherent and thoughtfull posts on the subject and I agree. I think the people agreeing with powernoodle are doing the same thing as the people they're speaking against. Forming uneducated opinions about a group of people that aren't like them. Carry your knife, use your knife, and educate anyone who disagrees that you need it. Dogpiling on them or giving them a snide remark is the quickest way to alienate our little group from the larger population. We don't want them to hate us, we want more to be like us. Otherwise you should just give up your knives now and be done with it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information