Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GEC Montana Whittler

GEC Montana Whittler

ADVERTISEMENT
    Holy crap. I just stopped breathing for a few minutes!
    I saw the sneak peek at the GEC Montana Workhorse Whittler.
    It looks as if some of my prayers have been answered!!!
    They cannot make this knife fast enough, and I will likely buy multiples.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Now that I've composed myself enough to formulate words and type this out, here's the link to Great Eastern's website.

(Pic taken from Great Eastern's website)

-nate

P.S. As much as others may groan about how thick it makes the knife, I actually have my fingers crossed that they do a 3-backspring construction like they did on the #54 whittlers back in 2008.
    Last edited by robot37; 05-12-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: additional commentary

I like it.

ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    I like it.

Looks interesting. Hard to tell if it tapers at one end or not.

I'd say it does taper, as in a sleeveboard (though whether GEC will call it one is anyone's guess!).

Looks like a real workhorse.

I'm in.
    For reviews on Atwood's, knives, gear, lights and much more:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xtonesterx?feature=mhee

I'm not a whittler so what the heck do I know BUT why a spear point blade. Wouldn't it be a better whittler with a sheepsfoot blade in place of the spear point blade and leave the other two (wharncliffe and clip) as they are?

My grumpy, grouchy, side isn't likeing it as it appears in the picture.

I did whittle a point on a stick once to roast marshmallows.
    Last edited by Modoc ED; 05-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    ED

I would say the whittler description applies based on the blade layout. However, I don't really plan on whittling wood with it. Rather, it appeals to me a great all-around EDC utility knife. I am really fond of spear point main blades, and I almost have to have a sheepsfoot or stout wharncliffe blade on me at all times. The small clip on this one is just icing on the cake.

I really think that someone at GEC must have been reading my mind, and perceived that I was looking for a knife with a hefty spear and a sheepsfoot/wharncliffe. I was teetering on the edge of getting one of the new 2012 S&M heritage series cattleman knives. However, I feel like I would be much better served by this pattern.

All I can say is that I hope they make a Tidioute version in ebony. . . Aww, who am I kidding? I'd still buy it even if they used the glitter gold acrylic. But still, if anyone at GEC is reading this please please please make an ebony version!!

-nate

I've been looking for a knife with a spay main and a wharncliffe. This seems close enough and I want it!

Nice! I need a pocket knife with a warncliff. None of my folders have one.

I do like the looks of it.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Looks pretty nifty, I'm glad to see GEC growin' em big. I'm pretty optimistic about this whittler on steroids even though it's marketed as a whittler it looks like a fine work/EDC knife.

Just when I thought it was safe... Lol
    I'm in

I hope the blades sink in nice and deep when closed. I like the GEC spear blade but I don't like how high it usually rides outside the knife when closed.
    Mike

15. I want it.

Just to throw this out there, but I didn't think the term whittler was used because a knife is intended to whittle wood. I thought it was a pattern with a thick main blade opposing two secondary blades all sharing the same split spring. Is this off? I wouldn't call a three spring knife a whittler pattern, but thats just me.

Kevin

If it has a 3 spring design, I hope they thin out the scale material a little, I mean weight has never been an issue but I think a 1/2" is about as wide a knife as I want to carry
    Personally, I want any movie I see about a guy that travels back in time in a souped up DeLorean and meets his parents before they were married to have the appropriate guitar for the year, kinda blew the believability of the whole movie for me.

18. Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    Just to throw this out there, but I didn't think the term whittler was used because a knife is intended to whittle wood. I thought it was a pattern with a thick main blade opposing two secondary blades all sharing the same split spring. Is this off? I wouldn't call a three spring knife a whittler pattern, but thats just me.

Kevin
    That's my understanding also.
    a three-blade pen knife with the master blade bearing on two springs.
    --Levine's Guide

I would be very surprised and disappointed if GEC made this with three teeny weeny springs instead of a true split backspring. If the split backspring is well executed this knife will push the Calf Roper out of my pocket.

I'm really pleased with the 3 3/4" size, classic sleeveboard shape and three different blade geometries. I think this is one of the smartest designs they've come up with yet.

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post

Kevin
    Kevin,

By all accounts, I would say that you are correct. It seems that in recent years we have collectively loosened the definition of some knife patterns to include similar-but-not-quite-accurate replicas of the original thing. Given my line of work, I definitely know what it means to get anal-retentive over what a word means. However, in the context of pocket knives I'm inclined to let the knife speak for itself regardless of which name is affixed.

I have adopted this mentality after realizing that GEC is going to do what GEC is going to do. No amount of course correction from the peanut gallery will reel in their wacky naming conventions. However, they make such a darn nice pocketknife that I can't help but ask for more, regardless of what they call it.

I realized that I'm straddling the "whittler" fence here, but my initial intention was just to call attention to what I think will be a really cool pattern from GEC.

-nate

20. It reminds me a little of the "Montana Mountaineer"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information