Thread: Any yard sale treasure recently?

Any yard sale treasure recently?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm sure any of you who drive around for hours looking for yard sales are often excited to find the odd straight razor. Three of mine were obtained either in someone's front yard or garage and my father in law just dropped these off for me:
    0512121644.jpg

I know Williams soap is still available in the exact same packaging as this old example but I'm excited about the brush and stand. The brush is a pure-badger Century and while it's clearly missing a good number of strands, it looks usable. The stand is lucite and a bit tacky but neat.

So, now that the season is upon us, what have you guys found?

You could always reknot the brush with one from TGN. Its a great way to give an old brush new life
    If you are playing life on easy, you are never going to win when it counts
    Knife making is hazardous to my bank account

I just got these for $5 at a yard sale:

There's Gems, Schicks, and Gilletes including a nice ladies' model for my wife.

I also found a soap dish for 10 cents:

And this unopened bottle of vintage Old Spice for 50 cents:
    Last edited by Blais; 05-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Nice finds, we don't get much like that here along the river. I think all the cool old stuff got thrown away when they flooded the old towns. I do find the odd thing at flea markets, but that stuff comes from the Ottawa area.

I am picking up a nice cased Slim Aristocrat next pay day, once again not from around here, its in Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by unky_gumbi View Post
    Nice finds, we don't get much like that here along the river. I think all the cool old stuff got thrown away when they flooded the old towns. I do find the odd thing at flea markets, but that stuff comes from the Ottawa area.

I am picking up a nice cased Slim Aristocrat next pay day, once again not from around here, its in Alberta.
    I'm lucky to live where I do, as far as cool old junk goes. A lot of the older folks in the really rural areas hang on to stuff forever until they decide it's time to clean out the barn. There's always a surplus of old farmhouse treasures if you look in the right places. The old fella who sold me all the razors was a barber for 30+ years and also had a really beautiful barber's chair, a few straights, and two old strops. He couldn't believe I was interested in his stuff and story!

Yeah when you whole town is being flooded and you "have to Move" you don't hold on to much. The town went under in 1958, so there weren't that many years left for DE shaving and the relatively small population meant that there just weren't too many razors that made the move. Even when I go to the antique stores in the area they don't realize that those odd DE razors they get could be worth something.

I picked up an Ever Ready pure badger 250 with a clear hex base for a couple of bucks yesterday. I used it this morning. I'd forgotten how much better a shave felt with one.
    Rest in peace Bill. I wish I could have done more. You are sorely missed.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

I found this Ideal in good condition a couple of years ago:

and this old monster of a Wade & Butcher with a horn handle (unfortunately broken):

Can anyone tell me the approximate age of these razors?

not a yard sale nor a treasure (I think) but don't think we'll ever see this ladies offering ever again:

$(KGrHqRHJDIE7zJynhfqBO+mQZuN1!~~60_3.JPG

and yes it's for what you're thinking

ok, on a serious note I bought this vintage set made out of sterling silver and new strop materials to put back into use! well, when I get the nerve that is.

Tiffany Strop (2).jpg

Great finds, guys! Keep 'em coming.

scored this pair of travel sets for $11 bucks total! I may not be able to find a classic hot rod rusting away in a barn here but little things like this help make up for it and they're not rusted neither!

Swank leather, made in France

Swank sets (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PapaTango52 View Post
    scored this pair of travel sets for $11 bucks total! I may not be able to find a classic hot rod rusting away in a barn here but little things like this help make up for it and they're not rusted neither!

Swank leather, made in France

Swank sets (2).jpg
    Those are really nice. Great score!

Quote Originally Posted by Blais View Post
    Those are really nice. Great score!
    Thanks! Going to use one soon, unplanned emergency trip. Anyways, was over at SRD learning some more and came across these "Anchor Hocking Bowls"! I got one shelf in the cabinet fairly cleared out and these will go a long way to keep organized and purdy looking $3.99 not bad.

64192b.jpg

Thread Information