Thread: some people

some people

ADVERTISEMENT
    wow this one just finished and i know the knife is rare but pulease! way out of my range. and the LB pattern is my favorite and for some reason this one just doesn't fit into the family well?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230786450813...84.m1423.l2649

Not sure why the prices go way out like that. Not sure if it is a collector or a person that is just swept up in the bidding. I never see those because I only look at a certain price range and that one was not close to that range.

Look at the bids list. Two guys with deep pockets got into a bidding war for the knife.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

I have seen those knives sell for half that price - $130 would stop me on that.
    I see things I would like to own ever day.

Over the years I have paid $25 for a knife that I could have found for $10.
    However, when it comes to knives over $100 to $300 I have missed out the first time and found them much less $$$ the next time.

Things come to those that wait!

Quote Originally Posted by delmas2nd View Post
    and the LB pattern is my favorite and for some reason this one just doesn't fit into the family well?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230786450813...84.m1423.l2649
    You probably are already aware of this, being the Schrade collector you are, but the 3rd Gen C641 is the same knife with the wood handles on it. And it's WAY easier and cheaper to get your hands on.

Dave

my point exactly!

There is another knife collecting world out there. We never see or hear from the sellers or buyers. They quietly and invisibly buy and sell, and do not show us anything. They purchase estates as we purchase packages of underwear at Walmart. Roughly equivalent position in our respective budgets. If they see a CASE TESTED longpull greenbone on ebay gradually easing up to the $1000 mark, they nonchalantly execute a snipe maximum bid for $14,000 and do not even blink. And yes, they do not enjoy life anymore than we do. It is just another position in the Gestalt of life. Just different. I bought a celluloid handled cattle knife a couple of years ago for $6.57 on ebay. It sits in front of me at my computer and it is just the cutest, most pleasing thing you ever did see. The people who collect shell bolster Colonials have just as much fun as the boys who buy Tony Bose customs. And that's a fact.
    Always looking for larger Schrade Cutcos, cattle knives & lovely old bone.

I'll buy everyone's LB4 new in a brown box for $130.00, just send me a an invoice.

And yes, for collectors on a budget, patience pays off. Calvin, you are so right on your assessment. With collectors, everyone rolls different, and there is no wrong or right way to do it. My goal is to obtain knives I really like, and buying and selling ones I don't care as much about allows me to do it. What I like now is much different than what I collected 4 or 5 years ago.

A second LB4 just sold for $435.00 today. Same two bidders I think.

~
    ~
    H A L ~
    ~
    "I lost ten points just for being in the right place, at exactly the wrong time."

The problem with the LB4 is that it is a rather ugly knife. Rare and beautiful might lead me to bid high, but not rare and ugly.
    roland

this one has ended and i know i saw it before on there does anybody remember what it went for? and am i right in remembering it is the precursor to the 2OT?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370610620916...84.m1435.l2649

this one has ended and i know i saw it before on there does anybody remember what it went for? and am i right in remembering it is the precursor to the 2OT?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370610620916...84.m1435.l2649
    "i saw it before on there does anybody remember what it went for?" ??? Do you mean another knife in this same pattern? I recall one a while back with jigged bone handles. Not excellent shape but decent, went for over $150.00 but not over $200 I think.

It is the same pattern as a 2OT for sure. I believe a Schrade Cut 2202 is the correct number. There is a 2203 with a spear blade as well.

~
    ~
    H A L ~
    ~
    "I lost ten points just for being in the right place, at exactly the wrong time."

Here's some info i found on an earlier post (2007 i think) courtesy of Codger ,

One of the predecessors, the 3 1/16" long #C2533 3/4 SQ was listed in the 1934 catalog with nickle silver “Washington bolsters”, and Bone Stag handles. It had an oval shield, and no text stamped on the rear bolster. A more direct appearing ancestor, or rather ancestors, seem to be a series of jackknives from the earlier 1928 “Catalog E” itself, the #2202 (ebony handle), #2203 (Bone Stag handle), both at 3 ½" long with spear master blade, and #2203 3/4 with a clip blade and Bone Stag. All three used the “Federal” or “bomb” shield, and the name “SCHRADE” stamped across the rear bolsters. The 2OT had a closed length blade of 3-1/2", a 2 ½" clip master blade and a 1-7/8” pen blade. The tang stamp is SCHRADE / WALDEN / N.Y. U.S.A. on the mark side, and 2OT on the pile side of the master clip blade. The pen blade is unmarked.

P.s. Delma , the knife sold for $113 ......

this one just ended and i can't remember but am pretty sure the sheath is not the original one to go with the LB 5? plus ugly sheath for the knife.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370613251731...84.m1423.l2649

It is a horizontal carry accessory sheath. IIRC they came in two sizes, SAS12 for knives up to 3 1/2" And SAS13 for knives up to 4". They were first listed in 1981 and last listed in 1985, so are probably less common than the knife in the auction. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

The horizontal carry does not catch on quite as many things as a traditional sheath. For certain they were a unique sheath in the industry. Here is the larger one with an odd offering, and reference to a 2008 thread on these odd sheaths. It is not an easy sheath to dig the knife out of when it is on the belt. I'd just pocket most 4" and under knives anyway.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...heath-question
    Last edited by thawk; 05-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.

~
    ~
    H A L ~
    ~

here is another one. now i have lots of LB7's and LB8's some have the full bling some are in perfect condition with sheath, so was just wondering what made this one soooooo desirable? i have a NS LB 8 in excellant shape also but not going to let it go no matter what.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261022214597...84.m1423.l2649

oh yes and thank you for the info on the sheaths that is what makes this forum so nice to visit!

here is another one. now i have lots of LB7's and LB8's some have the full bling some are in perfect condition with sheath, so was just wondering what made this one soooooo desirable? i have a NS LB 8 in excellant shape also but not going to let it go no matter what.
    Good grief! Happy seller there.

~
    ~
    H A L ~
    ~

Here's some real expensive paper! 1936 catalog etc. I know it's a rare package but $330.00 shipped? You can buy awesome knives for over $300.00! I wish I was as loaded as these bidders must be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

Thread Information