Thread: Hinderer disassembly with no dedicated tool

Hinderer disassembly with no dedicated tool

ADVERTISEMENT
    I recently picked up an XM-18 3.5" on the exchange here and want to get a black/blue or an orange scale for it, and I'd rather not buy the tool just for that.

Has anyone just dremeled out a cheap flat head screwdriver and used that?

Yes.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...e-Tool-(Dummy)

I will say, the tool is the thing to have when the time is right but in the interim, Dremel is exactly how to do it. Wear eye protection!

The tool allows you to engage the pivot and hold it one handed against the knife and use the screwdriver end on the other side. No scratches, no muss no fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
    My hero! thanks sir.

And since the thread is worthless without pics, here is my Hinderer collection.

I'll add a real deal XM-24 at some point when the checking account recovers.

The XM-18 kicked my Umnumzaan out of my pocket for now. I'd started carrying the 0561 some, but before I could get it used much I landed the real deal.
    REALLY happy with it. I had to pay the gigantic secondary market mark up as I'm not a first responder, and I'm impatient. Even after owning a Seb and an Umnum it amazes me how well fit and slick the XM-18 is. (The ZT's are still great knives and a cut above 95% of productions, but the XM is in a league of its own as I'm sure you guys know)
    She'll get some serious use in about a week, as I'm going on vacation to the outer banks and intend to do some serious surf fishing. Travelling light this time so I'm only taking a SAK, a Mora, my XM-18, and a G19. (travelling light is a bitch!)

Now....which scale to get. I'm so conflicted and I want it before I leave next sunday!

Last edited by Followthehollow; 05-13-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Dang. Based on your surroundings....look like a neighbor. Nice Pics, Nice knives

Thanks for sharing We Love Pics!

Similar surroundings I'm sure. I'm in the very northern tip of VA. (not but NOVA damn it!)

Here's a shot off of my back deck.

Also, how is corrosion resistance on CTS-XHP? I think I read that it's basically a more stainless D2? I don't plan to bathe the thing in the ocean but just trying to see how concerned I should be as far as constant care while in that environment

and another shot of my full Ti framelock collection.
    Who doesn't love more pics.

that's an awesome family pic right there. Wish more people would do ti family pics.

Nice knives...some of my favorites!
    I don't bother with the tool I just use a dime or a penny.

You will see many pics of my All Ti XM18 which I EDC. Over a year of daily use, not a mark or blem. IF it encountered any environ that put it at risk for rust I would disassemble (Get the tool!) wipe her down with one of my gun rags lightly permeated with WD-40 or Break-Free and reassemble.
    Just a rinse and blow-down with an air compressor and a shot of WD-40 would suffice as well if take-down wasn't in the cards.
    No worries

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
    You will see many pics of my All Ti XM18 which I EDC. Over a year of daily use, not a mark or blem. IF it encountered any environ that put it at risk for rust I would disassemble (Get the tool!) wipe her down with one of my gun rags lightly permeated with WD-40 or Break-Free and reassemble.
    Just a rinse and blow-down with an air compressor and a shot of WD-40 would suffice as well if take-down wasn't in the cards.
    No worries

Oh yeah I was drooling over that in one of the pic threads, its awesome looking. I'll probably get one very similar at some point, but want to just get a colored G10 at the moment.

And thanks for the compliments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Followthehollow View Post
    Oh yeah I was drooling over that in one of the pic threads, its awesome looking. I'll probably get one very similar at some point, but want to just get a colored G10 at the moment.

And thanks for the compliments guys!
    Nothing wrong with that Don't be a stranger.

One more quick question while this thread is near the top.

Mine is a gen 3 correct? due to the blade stop location and the rounded screws?
    I wasn't really worried about it when I bought it, my only requirements were Spanto and either CV20 or CTS-XHP. just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Followthehollow View Post
    One more quick question while this thread is near the top.

Mine is a gen 3 correct? due to the blade stop location and the rounded screws?
    I wasn't really worried about it when I bought it, my only requirements were Spanto and either CV20 or CTS-XHP. just curious
    Yes..... (If interested down the road, set of the flat "upgraded" screws is about $12-15)

You can make adjustments "in the field" with $0.11.

I don't recommend it, but you can disassemble and reassemble the knife if you carefully attempt to with the coins.

Last edited by RubiconSS; 05-14-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Question was answered. Didn't ask where to source a different manufacturers tool

I don't believe that Shimano tool is going to work on the Hinderer pivot...at least not in that configuration.

sorry Rubicon, only trying to help

Quote Originally Posted by mantzao View Post
    sorry Rubicon, only trying to help

I know, I had no doubt your intent was of a helpful nature.

Should I be concerned that I can remove the pivot with my tumbnail? Or does that make me macho and you girly men? I can never tell.

That doesn't stop me from keeping an Armorer on my keychain...speaking of keychains...

Quote Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
    Should I be concerned that I can remove the pivot with my tumbnail? Or does that make me macho and you girly men? I can never tell.

That doesn't stop me from keeping an Armorer on my keychain...speaking of keychains...
    It tells me that you don't have any loctite on the threads and it is adjusted pretty loose. I can change that for you.

Smoothest knife I've ever handled. That reminds me she needs a bath, some unknown buildup on the blade and some-such.

Thread Information