Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Regular sebenza...?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, ca
    Posts
    333

    Regular sebenza...?


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi guys,
    I just bought a large regular sebenza, I don't have it yet but it should be here in the next few days.
    It's a 2001 BG-42 in great condition...
    It's my first time buying a used sebenza so a little nervous...
    What should I expect from this knife? Any thoughts on the steel, blade shape...etc anything that I should know about the different TI handle?

    I'm super excited and thought I could get some more info from you guys to make the wait a little less painful...
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and as always, I love this community!
    Alex

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,909
    Great find first off, I really like the way BG-42 sharpens up and holds a fine edge. The only concern I have about a used one is pinched washers. Even then if you disassemble it, that can be corrected. If the scales are to scratched up for your use it can be sent in for a "spa treatment" at a very reasonable cost and I believe they sharpen it at the same time. So all in all you got a great knife that will hold its value and give you years of service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, ca
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by woodysone View Post
    Great find first off, I really like the way BG-42 sharpens up and holds a fine edge. The only concern I have about a used one is pinched washers. Even then if you disassemble it, that can be corrected. If the scales are to scratched up for your use it can be sent in for a "spa treatment" at a very reasonable cost and I believe they sharpen it at the same time. So all in all you got a great knife that will hold its value and give you years of service.
    Thanks for your input!!!
    The scales look pristine on the pictures and lockup maybe at 30-40% so I'm pretty happy...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinagoo View Post
    Thanks for your input!!!
    The scales look pristine on the pictures and lockup maybe at 30-40% so I'm pretty happy...
    Sounds like a great find, congrats! I'm sure you will be very happy with it and the best part is you can always send it back in for that CRK spa treatment. My Large Regular Sebbie(S30V) is one of my favorite knives and is on its' way back to me from the spa as I type this(just got the call from CRK(Heather)).
    "A man who is "of sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery
    Veritas Aequitas --honor and truth in actions and justice, regardless of the circumstances.
    Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,473
    The large Regular with BG-42 blade is perhaps the best folding knife of all time, it's something to be quite happy about indeed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 1998
    Location
    Sacramento,CA
    Posts
    6,371
    Alex, I EDC'd a BG-42 large for ten years, it is absolutely one of the finest knives I ever had. The steel takes and holds an edge better than any other stainless I have tried, the high hollow blade grind (most likely done by Scott Cook) and good belly make for a great cutting tool. And I find the handle pleasing to hold and behold.

    Enjoy your new knife!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Posts
    3,016
    James, let me please ask, in light of all the recent buzz about lock wear, what was the condition of the lock when you stopped carrying it? How would you describe the lock travel over the course of 10 years? How many times per day would you say you opened/closed it?

    And out of curiousity, what do you edc now?

    Thanks!
    “Life is full of joy, pain, adversity, and outright mistakes. It's not these things, rather how we deal with all of these things that defines us." -HSN

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of the Bean & the Cod
    Posts
    6,655
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames View Post
    Alex, I EDC'd a BG-42 large for ten years, it is absolutely one of the finest knives I ever had. The steel takes and holds an edge better than any other stainless I have tried, the high hollow blade grind (most likely done by Scott Cook) and good belly make for a great cutting tool. And I find the handle pleasing to hold and behold.

    Enjoy your new knife!
    I agree with the post above, as does my 1996 small Regular.

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    James, let me please ask, in light of all the recent buzz about lock wear, what was the condition of the lock when you stopped carrying it? How would you describe the lock travel over the course of 10 years? How many times per day would you say you opened/closed it?

    And out of curiousity, what do you edc now?

    Thanks!
    My pretty well-used 1996 small Regular got to last year (2011) before needing any kind of service. CRK fixed it up fast and free.

  9. #9
    You will be pleased for sure

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 1998
    Location
    Sacramento,CA
    Posts
    6,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    James, let me please ask, in light of all the recent buzz about lock wear, what was the condition of the lock when you stopped carrying it? How would you describe the lock travel over the course of 10 years? How many times per day would you say you opened/closed it?

    And out of curiousity, what do you edc now?
    .
    Thanks!
    The lock, heck the whole knife, is in great shape, just about 60% travel. Let's say I carried it five days a week for ten years opening it at least ten times a day, so 25,000 cycles. I could easily carry it another ten years, I only stopped because they were becoming rare an I wanted to try out my current work EDC, an Umnumzaan. I'm using a large Micarta Insingo on the my days off.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pleasanton, ca
    Posts
    333
    it came in the mail today so I thought I would share...

    photo 2.jpg

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    So Calif.
    Posts
    3,888
    Sebenza Saturday, always a smile maker

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    931
    Very nice, thanks for posting the picture.
    WTB:
    Mayo
    Barker
    CRK Large Annuals with mammoth
    Hinderer 3" CF or Ti scale

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •