Thread: Trailing point hunter with CruforgeV and Micarta

Trailing point hunter with CruforgeV and Micarta

ADVERTISEMENT
    This is a trailing point hunter forged out of CruforgeV. The guard is 416ss and the handle linen Micarta. It has a 5" blade and an OAL 9 7/8". The whole thing is finished with 320 grit and I can't imagine taking the CruforgeV any higher than that. This stuff laughs at sandpaper. This one is going to an avid hunter and I hope he uses the hell out of it. It's a nice change making something that you know is gonna get used. Don't get me wrong, I like to make the fancier stuff, but odds are they will never see blood.
    In the last year or so I've learned a lot about the finer points of edge and tip geometry and how they apply to different types of knives. On a hunter like this there is much more meat behind the tip than what I've produced in the past. The edge is ground to about a .025 thick and then rolled into a zero edge on the disc paying close attention to the tip. The tip is rolled in tighter, maintaining strength, while the rest of the blade has a more gentle convex.

Hope you like it.

IMG_5682 by Mike Quesenberry, on Flickr

IMG_5685 by Mike Quesenberry, on Flickr

IMG_5681 by Mike Quesenberry, on Flickr

IMG_5688 by Mike Quesenberry, on Flickr
    Mike Quesenberry
    ABS Mastersmith
    www.Quesenberryknives.com

Nice hunter Mike. I like that a lot. You make really nice user knives as well as the high end stuff.

So you're saying that I should abandon the thought of taking the cruforge v hunter I just forged to 800 grit?
    John Doyle

You have nothing to fear but fear itself..................and bears.

Great job on the 320 Mike! I've stopped at 220 before.
    You are 100% correct - that Cru V laughs at sandpaper. 400 grit doesn't even scratch it.
    That's a beautiful knife right there and should last the owner a life time of hard use.
    Blade Show Table 8-Q
    http://www.andersenforge.com/

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes.

Love it! That tip geometry is something many, myself included, should study well.

Anybody wanna buy the bar of this steel I haven't used yet... LOL
    -Nick-

This link will take you to the tag-along thread where I made the damascus camp knife (above) from START to FINISH...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/808140-Wheeler-s-Steel-*-Stuck-in-the-metal-with-you

looks excellent! Nice one Mike

Very nice! It reminds me of Nick's Prototype Paranee Fighter; all design, fit, and finish with no fancy stuff. My kind of knife!

Excellent,looks like something Mr. Moran would have done!

Great little knife. That cru-forge is not fun to sand. After Blade last year I told Lydia I would not hand sand it anymore. I makes a great user though.

Looks like a great user!

nice job . I love it when Blood covers my work.

Nice knife, sir. Karl, you are referring to the three stroke boogie. Even with the best 400 grit paper, you get three or maybe four strokes with CruForge at any hardness above about 58-59 and then it is like you were using 2000 grit. The stuff knocks the tops off of the grit. I had Mike Barton try sanding a blade just to prove that it wasn't something that I was doing wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl B. Andersen View Post
    Great job on the 320 Mike! I've stopped at 220 before.
    You are 100% correct - that Cru V laughs at sandpaper. 400 grit doesn't even scratch it.
    That's a beautiful knife right there and should last the owner a life time of hard use.

John, if anybody could get this stuff to an 800 grit finish you could. Though I wouldn't suggest it.

Thanks for the kind words, especially the comments about the knife being reminiscent of Moran's and Nick's work.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Doyle View Post
    Nice hunter Mike. I like that a lot. You make really nice user knives as well as the high end stuff.

So you're saying that I should abandon the thought of taking the cruforge v hunter I just forged to 800 grit?
    Mike Quesenberry
    ABS Mastersmith
    www.Quesenberryknives.com

Nick, it is some great steel. The problem is that it does make a whole lot of sense to leave it "soft".QUOTE=NickWheeler;10869451]Love it! That tip geometry is something many, myself included, should study well.

Anybody wanna buy the bar of this steel I haven't used yet... LOL[/QUOTE]

I love it! Looks like the perfect all-around hunter to me. I've never had a blade in cru-forge but I read/hear great things about it. Hopefully the new owner will get a lot of use out of this one and post up some pics in the future...

Thats nice Mike I betting you end up making more of them sharp little hunters.
    ABS journeyman smith
    http://www.davidlisch.com

Thread Information