Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cutco

ADVERTISEMENT
    Note to self: Avoid Cutco products.

Yea,their marketing is a bit scammish and they are definately way overpriced.Ive owned a few purchased from the secondary market i really liked and wish id kept.A 5" lockback similar to a Buck 110 and a Stag hunter that had as nice a set of stag as ive ever seen.I also would agree the contoured handles are really comfortable and cool looking.Flea markets and trade days are good places to shop for Cutcos as they sell closer to their true value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    So this guy and a few other ID's join on the same day asking about cutco. (All the other ID's posting from the same computer.) Blech. Seems to fit in well with CUTCO. Moosh, consider yourself on a short leash here.
    Which, no doubt, further convinced many here, including myself, to never buy, or let someone else buy, a Cutco.

Odd marketing strategy.

We got some when we got married 17 years ago. The continue to chug away and cut everything in our kitchen. I've sent our Chef's knife back and had it replaced once. Customer service is great, but the price for the products is way too high for what they are.

As I'm busy lurking thru the topics, I feel compelled to reply to this one regarding Cutco. I have for years since being a young boy collected knives, both sheath and pocket. My first big camp knife was a surplus Camillus kabar which I gave away to a pal when I got my first Randall 1-6 that I bought in the early 80's at a knife shop in downtown Gaitlinburg and I have since collected camp and military sheath knives since, though I don't hunt and no longer do any camping. But I own and have owned many quality knives by manufacturers and custom makers. So now on to Cutco. I have always known the name and when a classmate of my oldest daughter approached my wife about doing a sales pitch, she agreed. So the girl came and demo'ed for my wife and was finishing up when I came home. My wife was quick to point out that they had a hunting knife I might like and so the girl got it out and showed it to me. It was a 1769 which appeared to be a expensive glorified steak knife to me. My wife ordered her a set and the 1769 for a father's day gift for me later without my knowledge. When I recieved it I took it to work as we have a family restaurant to see what it could do and it did do well slicing meat and produce. Mildly impressed, I got it home and put it in with the rest of my collection and forgot about it. My wife was and still is thrilled with her set of Cutco. She has had Chicago Cutlery (when they were US made ), Henkels, and some other brand and never has been happy with any of them.
    And then my 1769 earned my respect. I have a friend whose cousin would come to town from Florida every so often and we became friends. Shaun is a avid bow hunter and Randall knife collector. He has well over 30 and gets one about every other year and has been at the Randall's several times. The only one he carries is the one his father carried in Vietnam, a model 1-7. He even purchased one for his son who was deployed in Iraq to carry there. Anyway one day on his way home from work outside Sarasota, he stopped to hunt rabbit. He had taken two and had attached them to his belt. He was looking for more when he went to take a step with his right foot and something stuck on his right leg knocking him down. Now Shaun is a big husky guy and he found a python attached to his lower leg. He drew his knife and beheaded it. He then had to cut off the head with his knife as it hadn't let loose of his leg. He found that it had partially got his leg and partially the top of his leather boot. He gathered himself and headed to his truck to get medical attention when he decided to go back and get the snake's remains. After that he went to a ER and was treated. Took the snake home and measued it and found it was just over 11 feet in length and reported it to someone. After the story, I asked if he had used his Randall and he said no, he had used a Cutco 1769 hunting knife which he had recieved as a gift. He said it liked to use it to field dress game and it came in handy that day in possibly saving his life. I know about any hunting knife he would have been carrying that day could have done the same thing but the fact he choose to take his Cutco impressed me with mine.

Though I believe their prices are high and I have yet to date had to send one in to their service, I think they are good and effective.
    Last edited by Tinplater; 06-09-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Cutco seems to sell primarily to the kitchen market. Since this is a knife site, we may have better info on that.
    Check out our Kitchen Cutlery & Tools: Ya gotta eat, and what you use in the kitchen makes a big difference.

got a cutco to sharpen as a favor. the blade is 410 stainless. the highest possible Rc for this steel is 48!!!! the website says this is the finest cutlery steel available. can't buy the knife at the website or in any store. just give them your name and address and they will come to you; ala Tupperware or Avon.

Cutco aka Crapco. Friend of mine's family own a bunch and they are pretty poor, quality wise. Sadly another family friend got duped into buying a $100 knife and was parading it around when we were like some $1000+ knife. Pretty sure I have a more expensive and better far quality knife in my pocket the the time. To non-knife people, they probably are great. Though spend a few minutes online looking/researching and you can easily do better.

If the accounts above posting from the same IP really are from a Cutco rep or the company itself, I think we've just found the worst company in the US. Not many us made big names out there, they have quite a bit of pull and choose to abuse a website for their financial gain while causing shame to the game. Erra Erra Erra.

Seriously though, much better offerings out there.

The Devil is in the details:

At CUTCO, we stand behind our products with a FOREVER satisfaction guarantee. We want every CUTCO customer to be a satisfied customer FOREVER. The guarantee has several important elements.

FOREVER PERFORMANCE GUARANTEE

If at any time you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your CUTCO product, we will correct the problem or replace the product. Simply send the product with an explanatory note to the address below.

FOREVER SHARPNESS GUARANTEE

CUTCO knives with the Double-D® edge will remain sharp for many years, but after extended use they may need sharpening. For sharpening of Double-D® or straight-edged knives, send them along with a return shipping and handling fee of $6.00 (1-3 items) or $9.00 (4 or more items) to the CUTCO address below.

FOREVER REPLACEMENT SERVICE AGREEMENT FOR MISUSE OR ABUSE

Should you damage your CUTCO through misuse or abuse, we will replace the item for one half of the current retail price plus applicable sales tax. Send the product with an explanatory note to the CUTCO address below.

The CUTCO FOREVER GUARANTEE is intended solely for consumer/in-home use.
    The price is top-drawer. The knives not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bladescout26 View Post
    uh Cutco isn't a multi level marketing company barcbsa....I agree they arent the best knives available but there isnt a better deal around that i know of...ie. free sharpening for life and a no questions asked replacement of any knife even if you do something really stupid and snap your blade or melt the handle....best steel? no.... best warranty? hands down
    Cutco is a pyramid scam company. Just like amway... semi exclusive products advertised for more than they are worth. The thing cutco has going for them is the serrations. when cutting in an average kitchen on ceramic plates and granite counter tops any decent knife will dull to shit. But the cutco serration is excellent for these types because the flat unsharpened portion of the serration hits the ceramic or what have you and keeps the serration sharp for a long time. I own a small knife block with i bought from a neighborhood kid. Spend $300 because i have known the kid forever.... had them maybe 2 years and they still look/and work like brand new. and i beat them up. i just cut straight on my granite counter or the bottom on the metal sink.

Having recently discovered Victorinox kitchen knives-and have having used an Aunt's touted Cutco knives, I would go for the Swiss knives every time.

Also, any stamped kitchen knife that is not sporting a full flat grind (Cutco's dont) I avoid like the clap.

I just swiped a Cutco serrated spatula from my mom's knife drawer after a visit last weekend. Wife and I love it. Spread mayo and cut a sandwich with the same knife! Says made in Olean, NY (same as KaBar, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by scott.livesey View Post
    got a cutco to sharpen as a favor. the blade is 410 stainless. the highest possible Rc for this steel is 48!!!! the website says this is the finest cutlery steel available. can't buy the knife at the website or in any store. just give them your name and address and they will come to you; ala Tupperware or Avon.
    They have a huckster booth at our State Fair.
    My parents had a full set with display case, bought it hook, line and sinker.
    Mediocre kitchen knives at best. Meh.

"Cataloguing my virtues won't work either... I hold them to a minimum so they're easy to keep track of." -Jim Rockford

Quote Originally Posted by Bellasdaddy View Post
    I just swiped a Cutco serrated spatula from my mom's knife drawer after a visit last weekend. Wife and I love it. Spread mayo and cut a sandwich with the same knife! Says made in Olean, NY (same as KaBar, right?)

I have one of those Spatulas as well. Very useful. I haven't seen a similar model by other makers, not of that size anyway. I think Tramontina makes a smaller version (for a couple of bucks).

I also have a 4" utility knife of some kind; my wife likes it. I like that my wife likes it and uses that knife instead of the good knives.

I own Cutco, bought it from a local kid I knew when he was attending college. I haven't been sorry. I really like them. I've been going through a bunch of knives I inherited & trying to figure out which ones are worth keeping. I definitely won't get rid of my Cutco. No, I don't sell them; I just use them everyday.

At a recent gun show in San Fran, I had a chance to look at Cutco. The knives on display cut fine, and were sharp - however, I was turned off when the rep said I won't get it immediately. I need to make I think half payment, and they will be shipped to my place. Red flag #1. Then he proceeded to show me how buying multiple would save me bucks. Now I understand the economics of volume, but something like buy 1 for $60, buy 2 for $70, and buy 3 for $75 is surely a sign of way overpriced goods. Red flag #2. Now being polite, I tried to move away, and the that's when the rep became aggressive - "Sir if you don't wish to buy say it", and so on. That was the end of Cutco for me. It reeked and smelled a-la-Amway. I moved away - forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose46bud View Post
    I own Cutco, bought it from a local kid I knew when he was attending college. I haven't been sorry. I really like them. I've been going through a bunch of knives I inherited & trying to figure out which ones are worth keeping. I definitely won't get rid of my Cutco. No, I don't sell them; I just use them everyday.
    They are decent, but not a value due to the high price routinely charged for such modest blades. Using them alone does not reveal that reality because value is relative. Using them - and other knives - to perform the esame tasks repeatedly would give a basis for judgment of relative value. Are Cutco kitchen knives better than most out there? Yes, but most kitchen knives in use are inferior - and far, far cheaper than Cutco.

FWIW I dig 'em. I had heard about Cutco first in college. A really hot girl in my econ class invited me back to her room, and then sprung the knife pitch on me. I was shocked, but of course I bought the hunting knife thinking I still had a chance. Turns out I didn't have a chance, and was stuck with an overpriced *OK* hunting knife. Not the best first impression to say the least. All that being said though, I've been using Cutco in my kitchen for about 7 years, it's my 4th set of kitchen knives, and I love 'em. The steel is more than adequate, though I will say that 440A is by no means INFI. That being said, I'm not gonna butterfly a chicken breast with a Mean Street, nor am I gonna slip a cheese slicer in my pocket for EDC either. Every tool has its purpose. When we first got married (19 years ago) we had a shiny block of Chicago Cutlery. Needless to say, I knew nothing of steel or quality knives. We then upgraded to a set of Mundials which were better than the Chi Town knives, only just; I only retained a paring knife out of the set. From there we went to Henkels. These were a major upgrade (and a lot more money), and I thought they were just fine. My mother-in-law started getting us Cutco for anniversaries about 7 years ago and my wife fell in love with them. I'm not a huge fan of serrations, so it took a little warming up on my part, but I've actually come to appreciate the design of their serrations (for bread, cheese, etc.). I recently compared them to some Shun blades that a buddy of mine has, and they're better, just not enough to warrant the cost of replacing my Cutco blades. My son just ordered me the Ka-Bar (black...not snot green) and I'm really looking forward to putting that through its paces.

Truth in advertising notice: My son is going off to college next year, and he's working for Vector marketing this summer. His decision is based on 2 things: 1) he wants to be in sales (pharma or medical devices) and 2) we've had such great experience over the years with our Cutco products. So if I come off as a hugger for Cutco, that's why. Before he went out on his first sales call, I taught him about different steels and blade grinds, while his mother taught how to conduct and ethical sales call. I like the Vector model, but they definitely need to do a better job of teaching these kids, rather than using their warm leads for sales, then putting a bullet in their heads when the market gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    So this guy and a few other ID's join on the same day asking about cutco. (All the other ID's posting from the same computer.) Blech. Seems to fit in well with CUTCO. Moosh, consider yourself on a short leash here.

Personally, I would look for a brand that operates with stronger ethics. Not that hard to find and you will end up with a better knife.
    The bigger problem with Cutco isn't the knives. They are overpriced, uncomfortable to use, annoyingly over serrated (which is why they stay sharp longer) knives with a 'super duper' but inconvenient warranty that most people forget about and buy new knives. The problem is how they're sold, and Vector Marketing's hiring and sales practices. Simply put: Hit up college age kids looking for quick cash to sell these supreme knives (who know nothing about cutlery except what Vector tells them, make them buy their own demo sets, send them out to bug every friend and family member who will listen to them to get them off their backs, and buy occasionally because they are just 'nice college kids trying to get through school', and once they have exhausted that avenue, give up instead on finding leads, because Vector never talked to them about generating REAL leads, and then sell their demo knives on Craigslist to try and recoup their loss.
    Vector has an endless supply of kids to roll, gets a few sales from each, plus makes money on the rep for their demo set, a the cumulative effect it they make sales for Cutco, who gives them exclusivity, so they don't have to do the same, and instead focus on making more knives.

Guess what, it's the same business model for numerous companies: Avon, Mary Kay, essential oils companies, candle companies, lingerie companies, tool companies, etc, etc, etc. Get saps to milk their finances and tick off and alienate all their friends and family until they quit and start over with the next sucker. In home 'entrepreneur business opportunities' are all the same model...

And no, I have not worked for any of these type companies, but I've studied them to see how they work. Only the company wins.
    Beckerhead #38
    "By the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you man and knife."
    - Lee Christmas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information