Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assembled My First Knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    Thanks very much for your supportive comments everyone. It took me about a month but that was mostly weekends and a little in the evening. I did it without power tools so filing and sanding took some time. I have more parts so will try another soon. I'm thinking of adding bolsters next time.
    Rust Never Sleeps s-k

2. Congrats! It's impressive that the work was all done without power tools.

Great work S-K! You get a greater appreciation when you do all that work with hand tools.

What kind of steel is that?

Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

I like that! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Whatcha gonna make next?

~ P.

Dude that's cool. I have always wanted to try something like this. And too be honest, since I use so many power tools in my day job, I really enjoy working with simple hand tools when I can.

That´s really a cool looking knife

I´m looking forward seeing more from yours, soon

Kind regards
    Andi

SK, I read how you are inspired by the nice knives shown here, well I can honestly say that the knives you show us are simply stunning, and they inspire us!
    Great job on your first knife, it must be a scary part coming to pinning a knife...i have never done what you have....I hope to give it a go one day, thanks for showing us your great work
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

Nice work, Steve! You can carry it with pride! It's a beauty!!
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

Thank you to all for your very kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Johnny twoshoes and glennbad i believe the blade is 420HC steel.

Pertinux, I don't know yet what I will make next. I have more parts like this and plan to make one with bolsters. I also have some penknife parts but fitting two blades is more advanced.

Thanks again for your interest and encouragement.
    Rust Never Sleeps s-k

Looks good!

I really like it. Great blade shape and handle shape. The Wenge has some great grain. I need to read up on how one does the pinning of scales as a friend wants to try and put together a kitchen paring knife kit. If you have any tips, they would be greatly appreciated

Nice looking old pattern sk. was it a kit or did you grind the blade too? If it's a kit, where did you get it?

Thats a great looking knife, and you did outstanding for your first time. You will carry that with pride for a long time

Mike WTB - Benchmade Ritter S30V Mini Griptilian & Mini Griptilian scales

R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Well done Steve. Lovely work.
    Could you do us a step by step guide with pics on your next one?

Quote Originally Posted by navihawk View Post
    Nice looking old pattern sk. was it a kit or did you grind the blade too? If it's a kit, where did you get it?
    navihawk, I didn't grind the blade. I did a little filing to straighten the top edge, and on the kick and top of the tang where it meets the spring to make it fit better. I bought the parts for a 'buildalong' on British Blades. There is a great tutorial there on assembling the knife from Russell White if anyone is interested.

I think I have the parts for a sleeveboard jack with a spear blade. That may be by next attempt. Jacknife, thanks and happy to post some pics along the way.
    Rust Never Sleeps s-k

Thanks for the info Steve. I have a hankering to do a project myself.

Must've given a lot of satisfaction putting that together! I'm sure any of us would like to own that one, nice wood grain, an English traditional no question. Look excellent with a big Lambsfoot blade and a Rat-Tail bolster, that's one for future thought. We look forward to your next efforts S-K. Milled liners, fully sunken joints, file-work

Very well done, regards, Will

Looks great to me, I really like that pattern kinda a "slimline Barlow" if there ever was such a thing. All in all it's an excellent display of taste and craftsmanship on your part.

Thank-you for your kind comment whetrock.

Quote Originally Posted by willgoy View Post
    Must've given a lot of satisfaction putting that together! I'm sure any of us would like to own that one, nice wood grain, an English traditional no question. Look excellent with a big Lambsfoot blade and a Rat-Tail bolster, that's one for future thought. We look forward to your next efforts S-K. Milled liners, fully sunken joints, file-work

Very well done, regards, Will
    Thanks very much Will. I do have a big lambsfoot blade and a spring that might work with it. I will need to make liners for that so a little more advanced.... maybe one for the not too distant future.

I rummaged around and found these parts; brass sleeve board liners, spring and unused Sheffield pen blade. Overall closed length 3.25 inches. I think I can make it work. An initial fitting provides me with a sense of optimism. For the scales I'm thinking of a longish ebony bolster and with a contrasting wood like striped zebrano or spalted beech for the rest of the handle. If there is interest, I can post progress here or start a new thread later? I won't make much progress for a week or two though.

Last edited by smiling-knife; 05-22-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Rust Never Sleeps s-k

YES PLEASE! Keep us voyeurs posted.

Thanks, Will

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information