Thread: Son of Son expected any day, which knife/knives with his birth year stamp?

Son of Son expected any day, which knife/knives with his birth year stamp?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Gotta Grandson in the hopper. First boy from terrific and deserving favor first son.

Which knife or knives do you think I should acquire and archive (for him when appropriate) with his birth year date stamp (which looks kinda like this .)?

I figure these three classics: Frontiersman, Hunter and Ranger.

Thank you for your recco.

I'd suggest picking up a slippie or two like a nice 301 and 303. Maybe even a small and large Vantage also. You never know how his taste in knives will develop.

Congratulations Steve.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

Since it's a grandson, your duty is to spoil the boy, so I think you should get him all three!

Wildbillw
    Life Member #1341

Congratulations Oregon. He will like the newer cool models. DM

I agree with wildbillw and plumberdv plus some bucklites, custom 501, omni hunter, a rush...do you want me to go on?

Knowing you oregon, that kid will have many many before he can shave or drive

Congrats.

Since that Frontiersman you mention was a special edition just brought back in the year you mention--I'd say that would be an incredible gift.

Steve, that 124 will be a great keepsake for him someday, but it's going to take a few years for him to grow into it. It's a meaty, beefy thing. I love mine and my second one will be here next week. Did you get your second one yet?

BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

Thank you kindly everyone for the tips. Really its my job to spoil him? OK. I'll take that job.

The 2nd Frontiersman is expected tomorrow, Sat., but it is coming from the right coast and I'm over here on the Ring of Fire.

My Grandfather, who walked the earth like a giant in my eyes, gave me cool stuff: A folding camp knife, ice pick, ballpeen hammer, good times and encouragement. Tons of encouragement.

I think about the generation gap, my Grandfather vs me. He sailed on the last of the Clipper ships, lived in west Africa, played the banjo and harmonica with skill (self taught). TV was on when I was a kid, I couldn't tell you how many computers I've had and I'm typing this on an IPad.

My terrific Grandfather, who had false teeth and spoke differently with them in and with them out, told such foreign sounding stories from his youth I often laughed. Such varied experiences from different generations. It is a wonder we got along so well.

He would loved to have owned a Buck knife. Such a good tool. It would have been a wonderment for him to hold a 110. How will the boy perceive a pocket knife I wonder?

I'd do up a Buck Custom Shop 110 for him as one of the three.

Oregon,

First I think congratulations are in order! Is this your first grandchild?

You need to get him something in stag from the Legacy catalog
    jb4570

2nd grandchild (excellent three year old girl), 1st boy. Thank you.

Custom shop and Stag from the Legacy catalog. Both great ideas.

I don't think I have any Stag...

You've got me taking another look, with different eyes, at my stack of Buck paperwork/catalogs.

That Buck Legacy Collection Limited Edition Damascus Paradigm with Micarta Handles, rain drop Damascus oh yea, is the bomb. WOW! Grandpa like.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    You've got me taking another look, with different eyes, at my stack of Buck paperwork/catalogs.

That Buck Legacy Collection Limited Edition Damascus Paradigm with Micarta Handles, rain drop Damascus oh yea, is the bomb. WOW! Grandpa like.
    C'mon Grandpa, they are supposed to be for Grandson!

The LE Paradigm is cool this year for sure. I like it alot better than the one from last year that had Charcoal DymondWood scales and a skull ( ) on the handle. Mine doesn't have the white print/etch on the blade which I like even better.

BCCI Life member #1706

Is there no blade etching/tang stamp at all?

I thought that the Micarta handle material was black this year. Yours looks blue. Huh.

Does the blade rest evenly in the handle in the closed position?

2nd Frontiersman arrived, with warranty/welcome card, and it is perfect. 1st one's box shows mfg. date 04/19/2012 and this one's box has mfg. date 05/14/2012 (just the other day!).

Yeah, the one in the catalog says black and looks blacker than mine. Mine is the Blue/Black. There's no "stamp" in the blade steel but it has "Buck" on the front side and the Bos Flame on the back. Both are a bit hard to see on the damascus, particularly the Bos marking. I couldn't get a picture of the back side that was presentable. That may be why they went with the light colored print/etch on this years version. Mine is a really early version, I got it in late 2010.

If you're asking if the blade is centered, yes it's perfect
    Last edited by Plumberdv; 05-19-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    BCCI Life member #1706

Thread Information