Well, gave home made micarta a try. So, after cutting some cloth and getting some fiberglass reisin, I started with an alternating pattern of blue jeans and OD green cloth from an old issue laundry bag.
After the initial few cuts with a saw, the fact that you can always cut more off, but can't add it back rings true.
So, saving that pattern of micarta for a later project involving a Schrade Sharp Finger. Luckily, my partner in crime Awesome-o had some left over DCU scales.
Rouch cut with the brass screws in, holding the handles tight, we started to work down the handle.
After working the micarta down a bit, we cut the ends of the screws and used a ball-peen hammer to mushroom the edges.
Here is the result after sanding down to 80 on a HF 1 x 30, then finishing off with 250 on a sanding block.
...and here is another shot of it stuck in the target we used for the tomahawk throwing contest at the BHWest Gathering.
I had all intentions of making a much longer post of the process, but this week has been hell at work, and I lack the energy to follow through with my initial plan. Sorry for the shortcut, but a 50% solution beats not atempting at all. I have since taken 500 grit sandpaper on a sanding block to the handle, but still havent gotten around to finding a good polish and getting it all sexy. I will post one once finally complete.