Thread: My latest guitar.

The People's Republik of Allen Kounty, IN

My latest guitar.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey guys,
    This is my first electric guitar. Thought I'd share it here since it's been awhile since I have posted any of my "other" work.

The specs:

It's a copy of a Les Paul.

Top is curly maple that I got pretty cheap on ebay. There is a knot right at the edge inside the cutaway, and there's no figure near the edge in some places. But the burst covers all that up, so I'm happy.

The body and neck are hog from Menards. Headstock veneer and fretboard are ebony. Inlays are plastic. This was my first time doing any inlay work (besides rosettes) and I didn't want to practice on real pearl. It went pretty well.

The finish is nitro lacquer over a tobacco burst.

Pickups are Golden Age Parsons Street humbuckers from Stew-Mac. Alnico 5 magnets.

Thanks for looking,
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

www.pattonblades.com

https://hoosierbladesmith.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful!

Do you plan on putting your name or logo on the headstock?

Beautiful work!

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

Sweet, I would really put your name on it, there is tons of craftsmansip here that deserves recognition! Steven

That is a beautiful instrument. Well done my friend.
    SpyderNation #0920 "A Web of Spyderco Enthusiasts"

Damn Phillip! That is awesome!!!! Fantastic job, +1 to the name thing.

Amazing work Phillip.

Damn fine!

Matt

I've owned a Les Paul Standard since the 90s and yours is beautiful, very nice work.

That is truly a beautiful piece. How's the action? Send it to me and I will inspect it for a while.
    WWW.JBSKNIVES.COM
    Blade Show table 19 D

Hey all,
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. It's been a busy couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    That is beautiful!

Do you plan on putting your name or logo on the headstock?

Beautiful work!

best

mqqn
    It's a little late for this one. Numbers 2 and 3 have my name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JBS Toolmaker
    That is truly a beautiful piece. How's the action? Send it to me and I will inspect it for a while.
    The action is perfect. Smoothest playing guitar I've built yet, though I guess electrics tend to be easier anyway.
    Buy it and you can inspect it forever.

Now, I'll go ahead and post some pics of #2 here, instead of starting another thread:

This one isn’t actually quite finished. I have to get some knobs for the pots, make the control cavity covers, fix a chip on the headstock, and some other finishing touches. But it’s playable.

On the first LP, I used pickups that had Alnico 5 magnets in them. This one has Alnico 2. I’m somewhat new to electrics, so I wasn’t sure what the difference would be. Now that I’ve played them both, I know. I’d describe the difference as the Alnico 2 pickups as sounding “cleaner”. I like them both though.

All the wood for this guitar (except for the ebony fretboard and headstock veneer) came from Menards. The top is curly maple, the body and neck are mahogany. The binding is cream ABS.

I'll take some better pics when it's all together.

Here it is with the appropriate pickup rings and the knobs:

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

www.pattonblades.com

Wow... I want a Patton LP. I want it now. Beautiful work. Love them both... can't decide which I like best.
    Now you just need to get some fancy strap buttons fitted.
    Erin

BTW... the "musical instruments" link on your webpage doesn't work for me. How am I going to know how much to withdraw from my kids college fund?
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save
    a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.
    -Jack Handy

See my KNIVES FOR SALE in the KNIFEMAKER'S MARKET.
    See my Flickr Gallery of Completed Knives HERE.

I think you should call it a Les Patton... fantastic work. I didn't know you makes instruments as well. Great detail.

I couldn't get the musical page to work either. Your guitars rock!!!

Thanks for the compliments!
    The "instruments" page on my site doesn't work, because there's nothing there. I made the link but haven't gotten around to making the pages.

Erin, PM me for prices. I'll be selling at least #2.

Now, here's a few pics of number three, strung up a couple days ago. You don't see too many 12 string electrics, so I thought I'd make one. This one has a osage orange top, Douglas fir body, mahogany neck, and cocobolo fretboard and headstock.

062912-2.jpg

062912-1.jpg

062912-3.jpg

Sounds great! Looks kind of plain though...

www.pattonblades.com

Wow ..Them are really something to say you built... Unreal ,, thanks for sharing...

Hello Phillip,

Jack O'Neill sent me a link to this thread after I mentioned I play guitar. I'm very glad he did because your guitars are very beautiful. Your flamed bursts are really nice. I can see you're using Gotoh tuners which I find to be really excellent. I have Gotohs on three customs as well as a new 2011 Fall Limited Edition Taylor Koa steel-string acoustic.
    My first guitar was a Gibson ES 335 Dot Neck which I eventually, and regretably sold. Currently, especially with electrics I prefer the longer scale, 25.5"/647.77mm (Fender) as opposed to the shorter 24.75"/628.65mm (Gibson) scale, but that's each individual players preference. What scale are you using for your guitars?
    You're a man of many talents...maker of very fine knives and absolutely gorgeous guitars!
    Last edited by Idlewild; 07-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Robert
    www.photolightscape.com

Knife Collection (Under construction.)
    http://www.photolightscape.com/p1010101300

Thread Information