Thread: Do I need a delica ffg???

Do I need a delica ffg???

ADVERTISEMENT
    Alright guys here's the scoop. I keep trying to buy a delica 4 ffg, but every time I get one in the cart I start thinking "is there really anything about this that's better than my para2?"

I try to justify it based on the light weight, but then I can't think of any time I've thought the para2 was too heavy.

Basically what I'm asking is, is there anyone who actually prefers the delica ffg to the para2?

Ummm... not here. I bought one but sold it a long time ago and kept my para 2. If you have the pocket space to carry the para 2, I can't think of a good reason to have a Delica. I'd say save your money for some new models that come along.

can't answer the mother question but among its merits: a choice of colors. a choice of vg-10 or zdp 189, it can fit in the fold of your wallet, you can clip it to your boxers and it won't go to half-mast.

the only task wherein it was a little on the heavy side was when i used it as a tie clip (it worked.) oh yeah, it can be just as addicting as a para 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakyamuni View Post
    Ummm... not here. I bought one but sold it a long time ago and kept my para 2. If you have the pocket space to carry the para 2, I can't think of a good reason to have a Delica. I'd say save your money for some new models that come along.
    I carry the para2 as my work knife. I cook for a small private college and as such, am opening many different types of packaging all day long, cardboard boxes, plastic bags, cardboard boxes full of plastic bags, you name it, if food products can be packaged in it I have to cut it. The para2 is the best knife I've ever used for this type of thing, but there's one problem, well...not exactly a problem I suppose since I have yet to have any negative response (it is a kitchen afterall...there are knives everywhere). The problem is that I have student employees occasionally working along side of me doing prep work and such and the para2 is possibly a bit intimidating, more intimidating than a delica with bright colored handles at least. That fact along with the light weight and friendly size are the reasons I keep coming back to it. But then I start thinking...I like g10 over frn (usually...I like the frn dfly over the g10 version), I like the comp lock over a back lock, and vg10 vs s30v is a "six of one..." kinda thing for me. But despite all of this, something keeps drawing me to the d4 ffg...

You could look for a second hand one to try out. You'll bever know unitl you put one through the paces. My 2 cents.

It is probably the better EDC compared to the PM2: has more colors, cheaper, cuts like a devil. and is even lighter weight. Yet it still doesn't kick out the PM2 from my pocket many times.

I like to carry both, the size of the Delica is better suited for "my" EDC uses more than my Blue para 2.

Well NEED is a strong word. There are many good knife models and it really depends on what you're gonna use it for and..

Just kidding, of course you need it.
    Para2 is the best and most versatile ever and indispensable if you want a slightly bigger knife, but the Delica is smaller and just more handy if you're gonna wear it everyday. It's not like the Para 2 is too big for EDC, but Delica is just so user friendly it's ridiculous and once you get used to it, you don't feel like going back. The fact that it's cheaper than the Paramilitary is also nice if you're gonna carry it constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Heelhook View Post
    Well NEED is a strong word. There are many good knife models and it really depends on what you're gonna use it for and..

Just kidding, of course you need it.
    Para2 is the best and most versatile ever and indispensable if you want a slightly bigger knife, but the Delica is smaller and just more handy if you're gonna wear it everyday. It's not like the Para 2 is too big for EDC, but Delica is just so user friendly it's ridiculous and once you get used to it, you don't feel like going back. The fact that it's cheaper than the Paramilitary is also nice if you're gonna carry it constantly.
    Well of course I don't NEED it but I think you guys know how I'm feeling. I think I'm just gonna have to pick one up. Afterall, they're basically dirt cheap in comparison to my normal knife purchases. I guess the only worry I have/had is that I would get it, carry it a couple times, and decide that the pm2 was just the better knife and the delica would spend the rest of its days in a drawer jockeying for position with all of my other knives that aren't quite as good as the pm2. I've had a delica 4 in the past, but it was a saber ground partially serrated version. I gave that one away to a friend 4 or 5 years ago because it couldn't compete for pocket time with my trusty bm 707 at the time. Something in me was wanted a new one ever since, but every time I start looking for another knife I find something I think I'll like better than the delica (admittedly usually at multiple times the cost). I guess I'm just gonna have to pick one up. Now the most important question, green or gray?

Post pics once you get it.

Everyone needs an ffg Delica in my opinion. If I could get away with carrying a Para2 at work I would, but I can't. A Delica or Caly3 raises fewer eyebrows at work where "weapons" are prohibited and the work force is mostly female.

Quote Originally Posted by dman62 View Post
    Everyone needs an ffg Delica in my opinion. If I could get away with carrying a Para2 at work I would, but I can't. A Delica or Caly3 raises fewer eyebrows at work where "weapons" are prohibited and the work force is mostly female.
    I agree. I usually only buy US made knives. But the Delica 4 FFG is just so good, not to mention the VG10 gets ridiculously sharp for me. I save the Para 2s for the weekends.
    I carry a grey Delica 4 at work (retail warehouse).

i already informed the building security where i'll be starting a new job that i carry HKBM45's grey delica to work (stole it from him last night.) i described it as a knife-tool that weighs only 3 ounces. clipped to my waist band, it passes two frisking guards and an airport metal detector.

"why does it have a hole in it?"
    "to hang from a nail in my workshop."

A lot of people love the delica 4. It's a great small EDC blade for daily chores. For me, I didn't like the handle. Since you like the para 2, I would recommend the persistence instead. Blade length and overall size is similar to the Delica, but I find the persistence to be much more comfortable to use with its bigger G10 handle. It's cheaper also. I got mine for $28

If you EDC the Para2, then I would say the Delica would be limited to those times when you need a smaller lighter more disposable blade. I do a lot of hiking, camping, etc, and my Para2 has become my go to EDC folder, but I will drop the Delica in my pocket when Canoeing, rafting, etc. Anytime I might lose it and/or weight and size are a significant advantage - that's a pretty narrow niche but I already own the Delica. If you do not foresee a need for these advantages, then I would rethink buying a Delica. IMHO, the Para2 just flat outperforms it in every way.

i'm moving out of the drift of the thread but if all the para does is "outperform" the delica which costs almost half as much, it's not very impressive. and we're talking about the vg-10 version. but, i'm pretty sure the para does more than that. it's in a segment different from the frn knives. it actually makes sense to have one of each.

the OP is working with a one-knife-does-all mental framework, which makes an investment in a second knife complicated. it can be simplified to this: get a second knife that does things your first knife can't. or, if you assume the para is superior to the delica in all ways, then the delica makes a nice backup. knives get lost or stolen. what's another alternative, buy a second para? nah...

Quote Originally Posted by hank_rearden View Post
    i'm moving out of the drift of the thread but if all the para does is "outperform" the delica which costs almost half as much, it's not very impressive. and we're talking about the vg-10 version. but, i'm pretty sure the para does more than that. it's in a segment different from the frn knives. it actually makes sense to have one of each.

the OP is working with a one-knife-does-all mental framework, which makes an investment in a second knife complicated. it can be simplified to this: get a second knife that does things your first knife can't. or, if you assume the para is superior to the delica in all ways, then the delica makes a nice backup. knives get lost or stolen. what's another alternative, buy a second para? nah...
    It's not so much a one knife to do it all philosophy as I usually have at least 2 knives on me at any given time (usually a serrated h1 dfly is paired with the para 2). It's more so that I keep hearing people rave about the delica ffg and it's been awfully hard to resist the temptation. If only they made a delica ffg with m390, g10 or cf scales, and a compression lock... I honestly would pay $200+ for one of those.

Save your money. Cool things are coming from Spyderco and you will be telling yourself "I would love that one, if it were only $56 less." You have $56 more in your pocket because you waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakyamuni View Post
    Save your money. Cool things are coming from Spyderco and you will be telling yourself "I would love that one, if it were only $56 less." You have $56 more in your pocket because you waited.
    True... That upcoming flipper seems like a must buy...

Only time I would prefer my delica ffg over my para 2 is when I prefer a shorter blade length and when I'm running.

Thread Information