Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Green RIT Dye

ADVERTISEMENT
    That turned out pretty damn good. I like it.
    B.H. #81

Thanks, Dubz. I forgot to post the before and after patch pic. Here you go.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

Looks good, Biscuit.

This is what dark brown RIT does.

I used the same color on mine and they've lightened a little, but still maintain that green-tinted black look. I really like it, but I think it looks better on a stripped blade than on the black blade I have mine on.

The sheath looks great. Two questions....

1. Any advantage/ disadvantage using the liquid RIT dye instead of the powder (on the sheath, not scales)?
    2. Has anyone who dyed their sheath (Clich comes to mind) had issues with the color bleeding/ running?

Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    Thanks, Dubz. I forgot to post the before and after patch pic. Here you go.

I like the looks of it better after dying. I'm more of an OD type of guy.
    B.H. #81

Perhaps a dumb question, but, does the sheath have any residual vinegar redolence?
    B.H. #81

Nice work Biscuit, I am going to have to try that my BK16 comes in.
    Becker Head #94

*Formally B.G. Leatherworks.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewater View Post
    Zebra tested and Beckerhead approved.

I remember somewhere (I think C_Tanner said it) that alcohol based leather dye worked perfectly on the sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by The Warrior View Post
    Perhaps a dumb question, but, does the sheath have any residual vinegar redolence?
    Maybe a hint. Nothing strong after rinsing. And to partly answer CCMI, I didn't get much dye bleeding at all during the rinsing.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

So, do you think I should go dark green dye or try to somehow change the color of the tan, which like you said seems to be more resilient than the rest....

No idea how you'd affect the patch background. The dark green barely budged it.

What about the alcohol based leather dye? I would think that could have some serious effect on it, it seems to dye the tweener sheaths pretty good, but then again, the patches and sheaths are probably a different material....

Did my sheath last night, didn't feel like it should get it's own thread so I hope you don't mind that I tack this on to the end of yours Guyon. I didn't leave mine in super long, I didn't want to go too dark because I like the contrast of the lines around the edges and I've seen some of them go way dark.

Looking at the picture, it actually appears a little more OD in real life. I need a better camera.

RB, that looks great, man.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturatedShadow View Post
    Looks good, Biscuit.

This is what dark brown RIT does.

I really dig the look of those scales! It looks awesome with the bare blade. Very nice, I might give that a try at some point.

Good looking mods. Thanks for sharing guys. I like the green scales and sheath.

Dax

Murph. Sorry I didn't go into more detail with you on what I did. I talked to Guyon about it and he did the same that I did with about 15 to 20 minutes on the scales. I only did my sheath for about 45 minutes and now that I have seen how his did after 2 hours, I see my sheath going back in the dip! They looked great Guyon!
    Hawk

US Army Retired and Proud Becker Owner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyop View Post
    Well Im walking around the house at 1230 am with a BK6 and a camera but I cant find the damn cat!

Finally dyed mine, I used the liquid dye though. Unfortunately my stores don't sell/stock dark green so I used Kelly Green & Dark Brown. After removing them from the eye last night I wasn't impressed. Then during chat I took them out for a pic and it seemed they'd dried darker. Here they is!

Semper fi, GFY!
    Just shut up and use your f#?*!ng knives!
    http://Www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/

Look good Murph, I want to do that to my PB zytel too, I have orange liners on the way so they my 16 will be OD green and orange.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information