Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another boring TGLB thread. (Update...minty fresh no more)

Another boring TGLB thread. (Update...minty fresh no more)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Well, it arrived yesterday! I love it!

While I was waiting for it to arrive I ended up buying an original TG with the intentions of selling off whichever one I liked least.

I originally had the tanker grey with black canvas ordered but switched over to tan/black G10 for obvious reasons.

As I saw everyone else's arrive, I started regretting the tan and black. I really ended up liking the green blade, green/black G10 combo as well as the black paper and sage. In person though, I'm really happy with the color combo that I got.

One of the first things I noticed was that there were some lines on the blade that don't look quite right. I contacted Busse and they are just machining lines. They said I could send it back and get them taken off. I'm still up in the air because it isn't really that big of a deal.

Then I realized that the sheath I ordered wasn't included. Sometime in the process of switching handle colors, it got dropped off the order. They offered to send me one with free shipping. I declined, figuring since leather is what I really want, that is what I will go for.

Nothing but good dealings with Busse. Great customer service!

Anyway, back to the knife. It isn't razor sharp, but the edge is decent. I love the weight of it! It is significantly lighter than the original TG.

The feel of the G10 is going to take some getting used to. It is every bit as ergonomic as the original, but I'm used to the canvas.

The coating is quite a bit different on the TGLB. Where the original had quite a smooth coating, the LB is more textured and reminds me of my RMD.

Overall, I love it and the TGLB is definitely my keeper! I can't wait to go chop something up with it!

Why does nobody seem to make leather sheaths for the TG? I'm hoping this changes now that the TGLB is out because I am now in need of one.

Last edited by Feezle; 05-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Beautiful. I expected to see you in costume, but I guess we'll have to wait for Halloween
    The difference between the two coats is strange. Are you sure the original one is Tanker Gray? It's not just less textured, but also darker.

By the way, you can sand down those machined ridges yourself, but if you do, do it with the knife submerged as G10 dust is really unhealthy for you.
    Are you gonna strip it to match Daryl's TG more?

I don't really have enough confidence in myself to strip it. I wish I had known about the competition finish before I ordered.

Costume isn't quite done yet. Still working on the hair and a few odds and ends. Glad to see Daryl ditched the jacket for a cutoff red shirt in the season 3 promo video. Getting quite hot lately.

Oh and as for the coating, don't know what other color it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Feezle View Post
    Nice shot of the edge thickness. The older TG has that thick convex grind and edge.

Congratulations, it looks great!
    A man's got to know his limitations!

Great comparison pics Feezle. Both knives look great.

Love the edge shot. Congrats on the sweet blades.

Took the TGLB out for a little beating today. Please see my RMD thread for my disclaimer on not knowing what I'm doing (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...my-RMD-outside).

My precious...

There goes the coating!

I really expected it to clean up a little better. I tried a rag with some oil on it as well as a piece of leather. What do you guys use to clean the coating after chopping?

I'm not really all that concerned as I think I'm going to strip the blade anyway.

It didn't tear through the wood like I was expecting. To be honest, my RMD did better. The factory edge on it wasn't all that sharp. I am not great at sharpening and I need some better equipment. I only have a Smith Diamond sharpening system. I typically just use the stones without the guides as I tend to get better results that way. I did use the stones to put a slight micro bevel on the TG. I'll probably change it up when I get a larger stone. It is sharper now and I'm having a bonfire tonight at my daughter's birthday party so I hope to get some more pics then.

Awesome to see it put to good use. I know what you mean about the difference between G-10 and Micarta. I actually can't stand the feeling of G-10, which is a bit of a bummer since it looks really cool.

I also got a Tanker Grey TG LB and was a little confused when I first received it because it was a different color and texture than I was used to with other Tanker blades I own. I don't really mind it, but I like smoother coatings.

After using it, is the LB version still your favorite of the two? I think I would prefer the LB in a side by side, but don't have an original to compare it to, so I don't know.
    Last edited by <Flux>; 05-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.

I wasn't sure which I was going to keep so I didn't use the original until I got the LB. The LB is my keeper so I'm leaving the original as is. I really wasn't a fan of the weight of it.

Hit me up if you ever want to get rid of the original TG

I know what you mean about the factory edge ,not dull but not really sharp either .I lowered the edge angle a bunch and now she chops much better and I think the major improvement in in regular cutting. I stripped mine and just scotch brighted it ,I love the look now with all the dimples and machine marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonberrys View Post
    Hit me up if you ever want to get rid of the original TG
    Moonberrys - Don't you have an original TG? Your Youtube TG review was one of the first Busse knife reviews I saw when I learned about them recently. Or are you wanting another?

Quote Originally Posted by thebrain View Post
    I know what you mean about the factory edge ,not dull but not really sharp either .I lowered the edge angle a bunch and now she chops much better and I think the major improvement in in regular cutting. I stripped mine and just scotch brighted it ,I love the look now with all the dimples and machine marks.
    Need pics!

I wasn't sure which I was going to keep so I didn't use the original until I got the LB. The LB is my keeper so I'm leaving the original as is. I really wasn't a fan of the weight of it.
    I'll give you $500 for your original TG, would include shipping, insured with signature confirmation. UPS or FEDEX as USPS delivers late in the day when I'm at work. I'll pay the PayPal fees and you can keep the sheath for your TGLB. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I really expected it to clean up a little better. I tried a rag with some oil on it as well as a piece of leather. What do you guys use to clean the coating after chopping?

I'm not really all that concerned as I think I'm going to strip the blade anyway.
    This is why I don't buy CG...I just can't see it holding up very long and I'm not into that worn off coating look. The cost savings would be nice though...

Awesome knife!!! As far as cleaning goes. Hot water. Sometimes soapy. Scratches, dings and coating wear and tear give the knife it's unique character.

Quote Originally Posted by chris1288 View Post
    Moonberrys - Don't you have an original TG? Your Youtube TG review was one of the first Busse knife reviews I saw when I learned about them recently. Or are you wanting another?
    I had one but I had to trade it when I had the chance to for a satin hofsh. Too sweet of a deal to pass up! Reminds me, I need to make a review of my hofsh.

I started out carrying the TG tonight but it wasn't long before I switched to the RMD. I really need to take the edge down some on the TG.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information