Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Browsing a knife site, i saw this THING...

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by BePrepared View Post
    how the heck is this thing $365.00? This is unbelievably stupid looking, and i can't even figure out what it would be useful FOR

Says the guy who wanted a gladius and sharpened steel chopsticks.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Tooooo funny!! You made me spit my coke.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    In situations like this I think form follows function. I highly doubt the designers of that knife were trying to make it stylish or attractive in any way, although I could be wrong.
    They succeeded! Though I don't really see how that blade functions at all. I don't see what makes it better than, say, a sabre grind drop point.

But...I'm not "military."

Quote Originally Posted by Alann45 View Post
    The designs are not for everyone, but definitely not crap.

Sometimes bashing or humor is reasonable (and fun?), but its best to do a little research first to make sure one understands the the object of one's ridicule and doesn't wind up making himself the joke.

My understanding is that they going for something that could be carried more easily than a fixed blade and was still substantial and usable as a folder, but that could be converted (with the pin) to near fixed blade strength when needed.

I never said they were crap....I think you misread my original statement. Nor do I not know about Extrema ratio or the RAO, I've voiced my opinion in favor of this brand many times.

Quote Originally Posted by singularity35 View Post
    What were their requirements, I wonder. What does the RAO excel at? What design philosophy? I'm wondering why if they were not a covert unit, did they need a folder. Why not just a fixed blade?
    Possibly a similar reason as to why the US military does. Consider that the Ontario XM-1 has the same N690Co blade steel and black aluminum handles, a weight of 6.5 ounces, and has an NSN. This is on the product description page - "Enhanced pommel thrust engineered for safety when used in a tactical grip position." Ontario, maker of Queen and Old Hickory knives, makes a tactical knife and describes it like that for the military. I couldn't blame them, ER, or anybody else for doing whatever apparently works for a significant customer like a nation's military. We enthusiasts seem to both know that the military is not the type of organization that demands and uses the finest cutting tools in the most precise means, and also voraciously consumes the folding bricks that the manufacturers produce to satisfy the requirements and/or image of the 'tactical' knife.

Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    They succeeded! Though I don't really see how that blade functions at all. I don't see what makes it better than, say, a sabre grind drop point.

But...I'm not "military."
    Who knows. I like thin knives, so I can't really say if it would perform any better or any worse than a thick fixed blade.

The RAO is ok for batonning. Maybe the original requirement was they needed to baton hoses. or plastic or wood in certain situations with gloved hands that's my take. I had mine reground into a semi-ffg leaf style blade ala Strider [i'm nuts]. I don't use it much but it's way cool to mess around with and maybe scare a neighbor or 2

And the comment on price, regarding the exchange rate i think that is on target, i will always wonder if the USA price reflects a plan to prevent us buying them and then making a profit selling them to Europeans.
    Last edited by klute; 05-26-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyjake4528 View Post
    I never said they were crap....I think you misread my original statement.
    Well, one of us misread something.

I was AGREEING with you.

Nor do I not know about Extrema ratio or the RAO, I've voiced my opinion in favor of this brand many times.
    Again, agreeing with you.

My comment
    Sometimes bashing or humor is reasonable (and fun?), but its best to do a little research first to make sure one understands the the object of one's ridicule and doesn't wind up making himself the joke.
    was directed at those who call them crap without getting more info....obviously not you.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas

this has to be one of the most ridiculous folders ever made! I almost bought one, but went with the MF2 instead. i should have went with the RAO
    Proud supporter of JK handmade knives #91
    "Long is the way and hard, that out of hell leads up to light" - John Milton

Entrek actually does make a few double edged tantos and the grinds are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTideShooter View Post
    Who knows. I like thin knives, ....
    You and me both!

Well, I had one that is now on permanent loan to a guy on a Marine Air Assault Team. He literally begged to borrow it, and since I am retired military and really have no need to carry something like this anymore, I gave it to him. He has told me that it has saved his bacon more than a few times. He goes no where without it. It is an amazing survival tool!

My biggest concern for this knife is the handle material: aluminum. It would make sense to reinforce the lock and pin hole with thick metal but guess not. Blackforestghost at youtube managed to get that thing rattle in no time.
    I kinda dig the concept, but can't see why military person would not carry fixed blade instead (unless exposed fixed blade is no go). And since it takes so long to actually dig that thing out of the sheath, it feels kind of awkward for me. And since the sheath supports open carry - again - why not fixed blade?

A young friend of mine got this Extreme Ratio FB. Seems well-made (though over-priced), but I didn't like the design, and the handle is too short. He liked it until he took his boy camping and realised that he'd need to buy another knife as this one wasn't actually a lot of use for anything practical.

While I doubt anyone could afford it, that looks like a knife (I speak the painfully obvious here for continuity) specifically for soldiers. It has been pointed out that we civilians or we who have not served in combat arms (I am the former) don't really know what soldiers do. Fair enough. But we know quite a bit I think. This knife seems to try to address that. Very stout. Pry, hack, dig -proof. Not good for bushcrafting. Not going to want to skin game with that thing. Not going to want to EDC the thing on a nice hike I kind of doubt. It seems to have been designed to take the sort of do whatever is needed abuse that a soldier cannot help but dish out to his (or her knife).

Here is the knife carried by a friend in Iraq. I can't quite tell what it is other than a Benchmade. From the looks of it, it has seen very rough service. I think this rather ugly (and expensive Extrema Ratio) was meant for this sort of use.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSNIPER34 View Post
    Is it an extreme ratio or sniper bladeworks? And as far as price goes I dont think it is any diffrent then a strider or crk just my opinion
    +1. Deep!

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    LOL right?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information