Thread: The Tactical Gear Stop (tacticalgs.com)

The Tactical Gear Stop (tacticalgs.com)

ADVERTISEMENT
    After trying to Google a certain Benchmade knife, I found this site, tacticalgs.com on the first page of results that Google turned up. I thought it was cool that the site said it had some hard to get Benchmades like the 42...which they listed at $104 (?!), a 43-401, an EDCknives exclusive, at $280 (usually in $900s due to limited availability) and a 46 DM, gold class) at $1600 (MSRP $2000) and of course your Grips, Osbourne's, autos, fixed blades. At first, like anyone else, I was shocked by those prices and by what was recorded as being in their inventory, but also like anyone else, I had more red flags go up than the number of fingers I currently possess (10 1/2, thanks for asking). I decided to take a closer look at the site itself.

At first glance, I noticed that this looks like any small site with very basic layout. However I found some features lacking which also contributed to raising the flags.

Namely, there was no site contact information, FAQ's or any reference as to where in the US (if at all) that they're located. Then I looked at the op of the screen and noticed a heading at the top margin which said "Visit our other locations" which only included 2 sites which were enailsupply.com and waxingsupply.com and after looking through those 2 sites, I could not, to the best of my efforts, find a Benchmade nail trimmer or Benchmade Blue Brazilian waxing set. I think you can all imagine my frustration.

Both of those 2 sites did leave contact information, however, both sites listed different phone numbers, both with area code 732. After a quick search, it revealed that the 732 area code links with both Middlesex/Union county New Jersey area. Having been a knife addict for so long, I already knew that NJ knife laws already out-right bans the sale of autos and balisongs, which made me look into one more thing; Checking the Benchmade log of authorized dealers in NJ area.

I only found 8 within a 100 mile search radius (1 being in Staten Island NY), none of which gave me the impression that I might get a Mani-pedi gift certificate with the order of a Benchmite.

Having combed this forum with advanced search and not finding any reviews about them, I believe I might be the first to ask about tacticalgs.com. I love the size of their inventory (which also includes Blackhawk!, Spec-Ops, Streamlight and Trijicon), but with the prices being so low and not being able to find any other reference about them, I'm extremely hesitant to test their trustworthiness.

The good news is, your're not alone. I have been doing some research on this website since last night, also impressed by their selections and prices. However, it seems a little too good to be true. When I attempted to reply to the confirmation e-mail which follows the registration process, I soon received an email from GMail, stating that it had failed... now what???

Strange, I had just registered and the e-mail I got from them was the welcome letter. Didn't have to confirm anything. No problems so far.

Now I just did a search for "Tactical Gear Stop", thinking maybe I'd get to their site. What I found is that on the first result which was a foursquare page on for a Tactical Gear Stop/ Tactical Gear & Stop located in Trenton/Macguire AFB, NJ (at 3452 Broidy Rd) which is a physical store according to more than 6 sources, but does not list themselves as a Benchmade dealer but 5.11 tactical is the only difference in the products they sell. 609 area code verifies that its a Trenton area phone number. After doing a little research into the area code history, there are records of 609 area coded phone numbers being serviced in the 732 area as well.

I'm just going to take a wild guess and say that whoever owns the site, tacticalgs.com, is probably working with maybe a friend or relative who owns the enailsupply/waxingsupply sites to get tacticalgs.com off the ground and getting advice on site-building from them so they're probably just new at the game.

I'll try to keep a close eye on them and maybe report activity. I would place an order but I'm saving money for a cruise in the Mediterranean (might buy some knives while I'm there) and I can't stand a loss at this point.

http://tacticalgs.com/benchmade-auth...nt-background/

Pretty sure those are not supposed to be for individual sale.

Now I just did an additional authorized dealer search that the foursquare page gave for the 08641 zipcode it listed. This time, I actually confirmed that an actual store named "Tactical Gear Stop" is listed as an authorized dealer for Benchmade. However there was, yet again, a different phone number with a 908 area code. After doing a little research on the 908 area code, it said that the 908 area code was formed when the 201 area code was split in Jan. of '91 and covered the Union as well as Somerset and Middlesex and 4 other counties of Northern NJ and still covers 609 area codes associated with cell phones. Later in '97, the Northeastern portion that includes Somerset and Middlesex split from 908 to form area code 732

I believes that this corroborates with my theory that this is a new dealer just getting things set up. Maybe they can sort out the issue of having 3 different contact numbers with 3 different area codes later.

As for the reliability/ease of service issue, I think that can also be dealt with later if I choose to buy from them at a later date.

I'm tired.

I registered just to share what I've found about this store. I too ran across tacticalgs.com in my search of fine specimens of sharp things and, just like SockMonster, saw little red flags as I was perusing the site. I used my vastly underwhelming computer skills and came up with this:
    TACTICALGS.COM was registered on 11/19/2011 for "Product Wizard Inc" by someone named Sudeep Arya who is the administrative contact. The business address is in Toms River, New Jersey and the phone # has a 732 area code. A little more digging finds that Sundeep Arya is listed as the president of Product Wizard Inc on Manta.com. There is another listing in Manta for "Product Wizard" which is owned by Steve Arya. Neither of these stores are categorized in what I'd call "knife store" categories. I have found nothing in the BBB on the name Arya or variants of Product Wizard. Both of the "other locations" (enailsupply.com and waxingsupply.com) domains were registered privately.

I find myself in the same boat as SockMonkey and Mike. It *appears as though they have a knife that I've been looking for (at a reasonable price I might add), but it seems as though it's right on the edge of "too good to be true".

Anyone around here have actual dealings with this store? I might just break out the old trusty credit card and play like I'm going to Vegas.

Update: I did a little more digging and found out that the store is on a military installation via AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service). I found the store's number, (609)723-0100. I called and asked a few questions. Doug seemed knowledgeable and provided me with the other owner's name (Steve, from above). He told me that the particular knife I was looking for was in stock. I told him that I'd go through the website to order it. After several attempts, I could not get the website to cooperate with shipping. So, I called back and placed the order over the phone. Nothing led me to believe that these guys aren't on the up-and-up, but it was slightly worrying to hear "it might take a couple of days to ship it out" because "I need to actually put my hands on it."

Anyway, I'll post back with the results.

Thumbs up Benchmade Knives - Tactical Gear Stop

Quote Originally Posted by charliegolf View Post
    Update: I did a little more digging and found out that the store is on a military installation via AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service). I found the store's number, (609)723-0100. I called and asked a few questions. Doug seemed knowledgeable and provided me with the other owner's name (Steve, from above). He told me that the particular knife I was looking for was in stock. I told him that I'd go through the website to order it. After several attempts, I could not get the website to cooperate with shipping. So, I called back and placed the order over the phone. Nothing led me to believe that these guys aren't on the up-and-up, but it was slightly worrying to hear "it might take a couple of days to ship it out" because "I need to actually put my hands on it."

Anyway, I'll post back with the results.
    This is an amazing store - and they have a wide variety of Benchmade and other reputable knife brands. You can be assured that you are getting an amazingly good deal on the knives you purchase here - definately not too good to be true!! They have two locations one at the McQuire Air Force Base and one at the Dover Air Force Base! If you are not military associated you should definately contact them and still purchase products you have been looking for at these great prices!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rdinde1965 View Post
    This is an amazing store - and they have a wide variety of Benchmade and other reputable knife brands. You can be assured that you are getting an amazingly good deal on the knives you purchase here - definately not too good to be true!! They have two locations one at the McQuire Air Force Base and one at the Dover Air Force Base! If you are not military associated you should definately contact them and still purchase products you have been looking for at these great prices!!!
    With all due respect, I will wait to see what other folks have to say. I've always been a bit leery of folks who post something like this as their very first, and only, post on the forum.

So whatever became of this? Did you ever get the knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    So whatever became of this? Did you ever get the knife?
    Highly doubtful...

And rdinde1965, who used his initial post on the forum to highly recommend these folks, has never posted again.

Maybe we should order something small like a decal and see if it actually ships?

Thread Information