Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokepole Ranger Friction Liner Lock Knife. Finished

Smokepole Ranger Friction Liner Lock Knife. Finished

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi all

During the past few years I have been looking for a heavy duty utility folder which can stand up to a variety of tasks whilst offering a comfortable grip, locking blade and adjustable pivot. I was recently drawn to knives made by a knifemaker from South Africa, his knives look to have everything I'm after so I contacted him and he agreed to work with me to develop a new knife. I started by letting him know which of his existing designs I liked and running through the likely tasks the knife would see. I work as a Ranger in one of the UK's National Parks and the knife will be put through its paces from time to time, working green wood, cutting strop's for helicopter lifts and shaping hessian matting being just a few of the tasks it will face. I wanted a locking blade and he suggested combining the positives of a friction folder (simplicity/extended tang for easy opening, additional safety when tang is in hand, adjustable pivot) with the security of a liner lock. I haven't come across this design anywhere else but it makes sense to me. The knifemaker has mentioned to me that once this project is complete, he'd consider offering the knife in different formats, like a pure friction folder, a lock back folder, etc

After some further discussions around blade shape we settled on the top drawing of the designs below.

I preferred the cleaner lines and felt it would offer comfort in a variety of holds. The knife will have 3mm brass liners, Black Chacate scales and a 4mm blade in O1 steel. The blade will be full height convex, my favoured grind and hard to find on a folding knife.

Dimensions are:

Overall length: 215mm
    Blade: 90mm
    Cutting edge: 85mm
    Pivot: 4.5mm

I'm really enjoying watching things take shape, the knifemaker has been keen to work together on this and I really appreciate that.

Thought you'd like to see some pic's of the design process, will update as things progress.......

The drawing table where it all starts....

Here detail has been added to get an idea of the blade design, including the elongated tang.

Initial/prelim blade design.

Traced onto tracing paper and overlaid on the design, to get an idea of how it will move and fit.

This also gives a good indication of where the pivot point should be. Halfway through the travel.

Blade template overlay drawing shows fit. Looks promising - it fits and allows for a lanyard hole.

Card template, alternating tang design and lock layout.

Chosen blade tang design.

Half way in travel.

Closed.

I'm really impressed with how well everything fits together and how much of the blade has been lost in the handle when closed.

Paper templates to be glued to the brass and steel, so that cutting can start.

First pic's showing initial grind done prior to heat treat.

Next pic's showing how the stop pin works in both positions whilst the knife benefits from the added security of the end of the extended tang resting against the back spacer.

Note how the angle of the back of the tang ensures that, even if worn and in the unlikely event that the pin failed the tang would not push past the back spacer.

Linerlock being cut.

All under the watchful eye of the Workshop Manager.....

Thanks for looking, I'll add more as they come

Sam
    Last edited by avoidspam; 06-22-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Sam,

That is going to be an awesome knife! I love the idea of mixing friction folder with liner lock. I have drawn up a few knife designs just for fun. One of which is very similar in design to yours. Mine was not a friction folder though. It was a framelock with bolsters but the rest of the design and shape was very close. Great minds must think alike. The blade steel choice and grind geometry are also right up my alley!

Great WIP shots and I understand your sentiments on the knife maker. Awesome of him to work with you on the design. I think you are going to love that knife and it would seem the next best thing to making it yourself

I look forward to the following updates and the final in hand product and review/thoughts.

Thanks,

Kevin

very cool, I like the idea of a linerlock/friction folder combo and it's the first time I've seen a lockbar done in brass

Thanks

Wish I could take credit for the design but that's the talent of the knifemaker which drew me to his work in the first place.

I think the friction, linerlock combination will work well. Despite being brass it's 3mm thick and supported by your grip on the extended tang

Sam

Brass should be good. The old traditional "TL-29's" made had/have brass linerlocks.

Great-looking design. My favorite knife profile is a slight drop point, like that one.
    -Daniel
    Knife Rights membership #1088
    http://www.kniferights.org/
    You cannot believe everything you read on the internet.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Hi folks,

Some more pic's showing the knife assembled with rough cut scales.

Thanks for looking

Sam

Overall shape reminds me of the Burger LEXK sans the friction tang. Did I get your inspiration right? The LEXK hails from South Africa.

I really like the hybrid design/mechanics
    if you can get all tolerances to fit it will rock for sure

great idea and study behind! keep up with the great job
    Maxx

I can see where you are coming from, I really like the Burger knife, just wish it came in some other grinds rather than hollow... The maker fine tuned the handle shape (one of the earlier designs is even more similar with a split finger grip). I guess when you are trying to come up with a handle shape which is comfortable in most grips your options are limited....

As the scales take shape it will veer away from the Burger more, the makers previous knives have a thick, contoured scales, just what I'm after

Sam

Thanks Maxx

Sam-
    You pegged this one!!
    Rolf

I'd love to take the credit, the maker took my ideas and made them happen. Kudos to him

Some more pic's, it's going to be chunky..., great

Scales shaped to liners and lanyard hole drilled

Sam

Hey Sam,

Looking great so far! When he gets it all fitted together and the grinds cleaned up its going to be killer!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, reckon you're right

Man that thing is absurdly fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Gulsby View Post
    Man that thing is absurdly fat.
    Bear in mind the scales will be shaped and contoured, leaving a knife with a similar width handle to a comfortable fixed blade, perfect

I'm not a big fan of the slim/pocket knife, can you tell

Sam

I think the knife looks good, but I'm not too keen on the name. Smokepole Ranger has a rather dubious sound to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony8179 View Post
    I think the knife looks good, but I'm not too keen on the name. Smokepole Ranger has a rather dubious sound to it.
    Smokepole is the makers name and I work as a National Park Ranger. Hence the name. It'll probably get a number as well to denote blade length as he's planning to make ones with different blade lengths and lock mechanisms

That's one of the cooles, most unique designs i've seen in a long time. Dare i ask what it's going to cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information