Actually, the first one is shipping next week, with more each week.Hey all, in anticipation of John shipping out his new LRK+ to all of us, I thought I would make a thread where we can post pics of our mods, ask any questions, etc. It seems like a lot of us are going to do some experimenting on this platform, so I figured why not! With the wealth of knowledge around here between John and the rest of you guys, any question regarding knife mods would be well covered. I'm sure this thread will quickly descend to the bottom because the knives are a good month away (plus any time to take modding), but I will bump it back up occasionally with questions, pics, etc, and hopefully you guys will too with anything relevant.
I have some questions regarding handles for you all:
1) do you HAVE to peen the pins, or is it not a necessary step if you won't be beating on the knife? I don`t peen the pins
2) what's the best way to get the HT scale off the handle if you must do it before putting scales on? If using a dremel will it affect the HT of the blade? Coarse sandpaper, then steel wool
3) When it comes to roughing up the underside surface of the scales for the epoxy, what is the best method for this? cross hatching with a blade, slight depression drill indentations, etc? I do slight depressions using a drill, then rough it up with sandpaper
4) If only using hand tools to sand the scales once the pins are in and everything is epoxied, how do I ensure that the ss pin sands flush with the wood without taking off much more wood around it (ie the ss is much harder than the wood)?
5) would titaniuim pins be a huge PITA to use as far as sanding, cutting, etc goes? Yes, use aluminum instead
Any help with the above would be INCREDIBLY appreciated. Already have some Australian york gum burl that I'm saving for this!!! Thanks all, can't wait to see some pics of everyone's work in a few weeks!