Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 243

Thread: The LRK+ Mod Discussion and Pic Thread

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by KYenglish View Post
    Starting to shape up, still a few mistakes and had a few "this isn't going to work moments, but were replaced with "it just might moments" again so i'm all good,

    think I'm going to switch to a higher grade sand paper again soon

    Looking good Peter!
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by JK Knives View Post
    I do all shaping (except for the front of the scales) after they are glued on. I still have not decided what scales to put on the Tanto L.R.K.+.
    Looking forward to whatever you decide on,but black would look good on a tanto IMO.(being a tactical type blade.)
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    3,115
    I am really enjoying seeing the creativity on this knife. I still haven't decided what I'm going to use on mine. I've got some exotic woods scales and a piece or red micarta also. Who knows???

    For those of you that are getting frustrated...don't. It is maddening after working for awhile on a knife and then something goes wrong.

    Here's a before and after pic of an old Schrade Cut Co. I did a rebuild on a few years back. I had some beautiful smooth worn bone scales, and while trying to peen things together, I shattered the bone.




    I almost cried...but I eventually got my self refocused and was able to finish the project with some nice, but not as nice bone scales...


    Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, just trying to show everyone that accidents happen. (John, I will delete my pics if you don't want them in this thread)

    Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    Too bad about the first set cracking,but nice recovery Glenn.
    Last edited by mykel m; 06-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,269
    yeah...it's a good lesson glenn. thanks for sharing.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel m View Post
    If all else fails try some micarta or G10,it won't crack on ya.
    Or practice with some scavenged wood.
    I made these scales out of some oak off a pallet,nice & cheap & don't look too bad.



    Just don't give up like Glenn said,you'll be glad you stuck it out when you have the finished knife in your hand.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,269
    nice myke. looks good. i'll tell ya....i am starting to like the Oak handles.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    Here is some scale material I'm considering for the satin LRK.
    Toxic green,OD green,bright orange & GloJ from Shadetree..orange dyed burlap w/glow powder,it glows in the dark

    Anyone have any ideas/preferences for color/color combos using these 4?
    I also have some tan mic & black liners at work I had planned for another blank,but might use on the LRK.



    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,269
    glow in the dark. too funny. i actually do like the brick color of the GloJ

    the black with thin toxic green liners would look cool. but, not sure if you have the green liners.

    go with your heart myke. it's your knife.

    can't wait to start seeing some more WIP pics. hopefully, i should be able to start mine this coming week. i usally like liners on my knives....i just like the look. but, all i have is the 1/8". i think that will be too thick for this knife. i think i want to keep the handle pretty slim.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,632
    Looks like I missed a few posts, I check in so quickly I kinda just post a leave, sorry about that guys,

    Quote Originally Posted by glennbad View Post
    I am really enjoying seeing the creativity on this knife. I still haven't decided what I'm going to use on mine. I've got some exotic woods scales and a piece or red micarta also. Who knows???

    For those of you that are getting frustrated...don't. It is maddening after working for awhile on a knife and then something goes wrong.

    Here's a before and after pic of an old Schrade Cut Co. I did a rebuild on a few years back. I had some beautiful smooth worn bone scales, and while trying to peen things together, I shattered the bone.

    I almost cried...but I eventually got my self refocused and was able to finish the project with some nice, but not as nice bone scales...

    Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, just trying to show everyone that accidents happen. (John, I will delete my pics if you don't want them in this thread)

    Glenn
    Thanks for this post, gave me some added heart as there have been more the one mistake that has had me slapping my forehead recently, knife looks fantastic at the end btw

    Quote Originally Posted by mykel m View Post
    Or practice with some scavenged wood.
    I made these scales out of some oak off a pallet,nice & cheap & don't look too bad.

    Just don't give up like Glenn said,you'll be glad you stuck it out when you have the finished knife in your hand.
    Show off! Seriously though it looks good, I wish I didn't always have th inclination to jump into the deep ed because I always regret it, honestly I'm hoping mine turn out half as good as your "practice"

    Quote Originally Posted by mykel m View Post
    Here is some scale material I'm considering for the satin LRK.
    Toxic green,OD green,bright orange & GloJ from Shadetree..orange dyed burlap w/glow powder,it glows in the dark

    Anyone have any ideas/preferences for color/color combos using these 4?
    I also have some tan mic & black liners at work I had planned for another blank,but might use on the LRK.
    I like the burlap, but thats because I enjoy the word, I suck at picking color combos so i won't bother trying, I agree with TPVT on this one

    Quote Originally Posted by TPVT View Post
    go with your heart myke. it's your knife.

    can't wait to start seeing some more WIP pics. hopefully, i should be able to start mine this coming week. i usally like liners on my knives....i just like the look. but, all i have is the 1/8". i think that will be too thick for this knife. i think i want to keep the handle pretty slim.
    I think your right, and I tend toward thiner handles as well. As you say I need to glue and get on with final sanding, enough lip biting!

    They are about 1/8 thicker the perfect right now which is probably to close, but it won't get better if i keep sanding and take off more with the 120 grit


    Progress pic:
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

    JK Iris Knife Passaround

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,269
    starting to come together! heck yeah!
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,632
    Quote Originally Posted by TPVT View Post
    starting to come together! heck yeah!
    thanks
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

    JK Iris Knife Passaround

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    3,115
    Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the contours.

    Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    Quote Originally Posted by KYenglish View Post
    Looks like I missed a few posts, I check in so quickly I kinda just post a leave, sorry about that guys,



    Thanks for this post, gave me some added heart as there have been more the one mistake that has had me slapping my forehead recently, knife looks fantastic at the end btw



    Show off! Seriously though it looks good, I wish I didn't always have th inclination to jump into the deep ed because I always regret it, honestly I'm hoping mine turn out half as good as your "practice"



    I like the burlap, but thats because I enjoy the word, I suck at picking color combos so i won't bother trying, I agree with TPVT on this one



    I think your right, and I tend toward thiner handles as well. As you say I need to glue and get on with final sanding, enough lip biting!

    They are about 1/8 thicker the perfect right now which is probably to close, but it won't get better if i keep sanding and take off more with the 120 grit


    Progress pic:
    Thanks Peter,that's coming along nicely,great contures & the walnut burl sure is looking good.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,632
    Thanks guys, sorry to be posting so much, seem to be taking up the thread a little but it'l be through son, (lets hope) can't wait to see more of you guys' efforts



    Going to "round it" out a bit more then start progression on to 220, 320, 400, 600
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

    JK Iris Knife Passaround

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Mokena, Illinois
    Posts
    16,188
    I`ll be showing the Tanto L.R.K.+ tomorrow, before I post it for sale.


    My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

    R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

    Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

    Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    Post it for sale?I thought it was an order!
    Lets see that puppy.

    Dang & I just scored a Skookum Bush Tool the other day so can't jump on it.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,632
    Can't wait to see the tanto

    Here's todays update
    Finished with the 120 (hopefully)

    Started on the 220


    See any difference? Feels all nice and powdery soft
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

    JK Iris Knife Passaround

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Mokena, Illinois
    Posts
    16,188






    My avatar is my Grandaughter, Hanna, who is battling leukemia.

    R.I.P udtjim - One Of The Good Guys

    Visit My Web Store
    http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/webstore/

    Visit My Forum In The Makers Section
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    jkiedaisch@sbcglobal.net

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The wrong side of WA.
    Posts
    6,952
    The tanto is killer John.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.

    CANCER SUCKS!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •