Thread: Wetterlings LHA... no metal wedge?

Wetterlings LHA... no metal wedge?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just received a new Wetterlings Large Hunters Axe in the mail and while looking it over, realized that it does not have a metal wedge like all the pictures that I have seen in reviews for the axe.
    Can anyone tell me if they have seen this before? Did they forget to put one in this particular axe, or have they stopped doing this on their latest axes?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Here is what I have seen on others and was expecting....
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

While they are used in many axes, classic manuals on hanging an axe handle specifically dictate that a properly hung axe should not use or need a metal wedge. A useful resource is "An Ax to Grind" found at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...2823/index.cfm

Same with what Wyszrd stated above. I've seen some axes that fared well without the addition of a metal wedge.

I have a LHA as well and mine has a metal wedge (not the circular pin in the pic you have). That's the first one I've heard of not having one. While that is weird, An axe does not need one to function properly and the grain on the handle looks pretty much perfect and the wood wedge looks installed very good.

I would just use it as is and if the head ever did slip a little I would just reseat the head on the shoulder and then use a small metal wedge for security. Great choice of axe though. I love mine for my woods time

That wood wedge looks really good. I would say you probably don't need a metal wedge at this point. I use them if the head starts to come loose - as Outdoor Envy says.

How about a lanyard hole does yours have one?

Quote Originally Posted by cattledog View Post
    How about a lanyard hole does yours have one?
    Mine didn't.

I don't use them so it wasn't an issue for me but for those wanting one they might be disappointed. Even though that isn't hard to do yourself.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
    Mine didn't.

I don't use them so it wasn't an issue for me but for those wanting one they might be disappointed. Even though that isn't hard to do yourself.
    Agreed I like them and it's a cinch to DIY. I suppose it saves a step in labor or production. Same with the wedge.

I am very curious where the bushman fits in the lineup.

LHA 1.5lb head approx $70

New Woodmans axe 1.25lb head approx $135
    New Bushman axe (Guess Approx **$150.** Guess) Priced so it won't cannibalise sales of other axes in product line. A specialty axe.

Forest axe 2lb head approx $85

American forest axe 3lb head approx $100 great axe but not in this category.

Sounds to me the bushman and the woodsman are a new line of premium axes at a premium price.
    To soon to tell but this is my guess.
    Also taking a page from GB marketing with a celebrity endorsement.

I think the new bushman has to be an excellent all arounder to be a survival axe. Fell small trees,chop and split efficiently, hammer, carve and skin.
    Easy to replace the handle?
    What's your take on a good survival axe in a small package. Thoughts?

Well I'm very pleased with the performance of my LHA, it hasn't failed me in anyway and has performed everything I've put it through flawlessly. So with that said and since you can still find those under $70 it's tough to beat in my book. I can't imagine the bushman axe being that much better that it will be worth double the price of a LHA, or more. The bushman looks to me like a blend of a small axe and hawk, seems like they're trying to get the best of both worlds with this design. We know it's going to be good steel so I'm sure it will be a good tool. This handle does looked specialized and I can't tell for sure but it looks to have an oval shaped eye so it might not work with your regular axe handles if you did need to replace one. If they did put this out at even under $100 I think they would have a good market for it and people would be much more willing to buy one. Now I don't think that will happen so with that said I don't see this being worth the price tag it will probably have, but if you have the money and want something different than this would probably be the way to go.

...thanks for all the responses. The article "An Axe to Grind" was a good read! The wood wedge does appear to be inserted very well, grain is lined up good and the head is currently on very solid.
    If it does loosen up, I can always find a metal wedge somewhere and tighten things back up. (... assuming local hardware store may have some?)

I am looking forward to getting out and using this axe a lot this summer. I spent a lot of time trying to decide on the size and brand. I really think the LHA is a very good choice considering size, quality and cost. I wanted something bigger than a 12" hatchet, but not too big to strap onto the backpack.

Even though the online pictures in reviews gave me a good idea of the size, I was still surprised when it arrived and seemed smaller than I expected (in a good way) ... really glad I went for the LHA over the SHA. The extra handle length will be useful and I can't see any cons of having the extra few inches of length vs the SHA.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfiremike
    The article "An Axe to Grind" was a good read!
    Indeed it sure is. There's also a YouTube version by the same title and hosted/narrated by Bernie Weisgerber himself.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfiremike
    If it does loosen up, I can always find a metal wedge somewhere and tighten things back up. (... assuming local hardware store may have some?)
    If you have one of those Ace Hardware or Lowe's stores they may have said wedges in stock. The local ones in my neck of the woods have them.

[/QUOTE]If it does loosen up, I can always find a metal wedge somewhere and tighten things back up. (... assuming local hardware store may have some?)[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend using the Swel Lock mentioned in "An Ax To Grind." It's still available at various places online or at woodworking shops.

Thread Information