Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Design feedback on a general purpose survival. Now WIP. Done! :)

Design feedback on a general purpose survival. Now WIP. Done! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Overall lenth 10"
    Thickness 3,5mm
    Steel AEB-L

Feel free to leave any kind of feedback not just limited to the but.
    Last edited by peppen108; 09-01-2012 at 01:15 PM.

I think B is the best design out of those 3, but if I was going to survive I'd want a bigger knife.

Yes Iīm a bit limited by the thickness of the stock I can get a hold of right now. This knife will have to be the companion of a foldable saw.

I like "A".

At one point, my life was meaningless. Hobos spit on me and little children would run up and punch me in the groin.

Your design is great!! Though, I personally prefer wider blades. Out of the three, I like "A" the best.

The guard is far too large in all three drawings. It doesn't need to be that obtrusive to keep your hand from slipping onto the edge, and will be in the way during fine cutting tasks.
    Terrio HandMade Knives subforum

Beckerhead # 350

Member, AKTI and KnifeRights

Quote Originally Posted by james terrio View Post
    The guard is far too large in all three drawings. It doesn't need to be that obtrusive to keep your hand from slipping onto the edge, and will be in the way during fine cutting tasks.
    I agree, I think you could trim maybe half of that guard off, and then bring the blade down to it. Something like this.
    Last edited by JustAFleshWound; 06-01-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added picture

I disagree about the guard being to large, BUT, I think that it can be thinned out a bit and "sculpted". James, if you don't like guard that size, you are going to HATE the prototypes that i am working on now.

Great feedback! I have made some what of a bastard. I am not shore about it, some thing is of and it needs trimming.

IMO c. is the best, the flat pommel will double up for hammering assuming full tang.

Much like a Fallkniven A1.

I am still thinking about the tang. Since its hard scales the tang has to protrude quite a bit if itīs to be used for hammering.

This is a concept for a protruding tang I have been thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by peppen108 View Post

I am still thinking about the tang. Since its hard scales the tang has to protrude quite a bit if itīs to be used for hammering.

As a "Survival knife" keep in mind that the top design is going to have a big stress riser at the 90* angle of the guard and that is where you blade is going to break if to much stress is applied there.

The bottom design has much less chance of breaking in a hard use situation although I would deepen the finger groove up front a bit more.

B3... looks like a longer, thinner non-ramped BRKT Bravo 1. What kind of grind are you going to put on it?
    Wannabe Rookie Bladesmith

Thanks for charing that insight AVigil.

@Hawk45. The only grind I can kind of do is a flat grind. Iīm thinking about 20 degrees. Then maybe an convex micro bevel.

Those profiles remind me of an SRK, which my wilderness skills mentor thinks is an excellent design. Make some prototypes out of wood and play around with the feel. The perfect survival knife is a myth. I've come full circle several times and have accepted that the user plays a bigger role than the blade. Make what YOU want to make and ask for ideas when you hit roadblocks.

Rick
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Rick is spot on. Keep playing with the designs and make em.....then see what you think

Oki! Thanks guys. This will be the last sketch on this knife.

I urge you to make some wooden prototypes. I personally think you will have problems with the integral guard of that last drawing. The palm swell will bring your hand forward and that edge will be a very sharp reminder.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

Ok, I will.

Last edited by peppen108; 06-04-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information