Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional of the month: Stockman

ADVERTISEMENT
    Okay, I promise I will not post this many photos each day, but the small stockman got put to use again tonight at dinner time.

First, to cut the foil off a bottle of wine:

Next, to slice Havarti cheese for an appetizer with crackers and pepper/onion relish, while my son prepared the portabella mushroom entree:

Also sliced the Havarti used to top the portabella, which was stuffed with onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, and fresh herbs, and topped with Himalyan salt, cracked black pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese. Here is the finished product:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Add View Post
    Okay, I promise I will not post this many photos each day, but the small stockman got put to use again tonight at dinner time.

First, to cut the foil off a bottle of wine:

Next, to slice Havarti cheese for an appetizer with crackers and pepper/onion relish, while my son prepared the portabella mushroom entree:

Also sliced the Havarti used to top the portabella, which was stuffed with onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, and fresh herbs, and topped with Himalyan salt, cracked black pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese. Here is the finished product:

No need to apologize, I like seeing a well used knife. Keep the pics coming.

bought this one last saturday...been in my pocket ever since
    PHILLIP
    VANCEHAM

Doug
    Looks like you know how to enjoy a good knife. Ah ...the art of living

The stockman here is was off a swap with rwc53 (forum member here) - I got two of theese and this one was with me today - beside the Case Peanut

It´s, maybe, the oldest traditional knife I own. But it works still well. No gaps or whatever on this little fellow.

I really like it. The patina was by using it from myself. Great piece of american craftmanship!

Kind regards
    Andi

Good to see that 34OT being put to such good use, Andi! They are great little knives!

Regards,
    Ron

Hi Ron!

Good to see you again I hope you´re fine.

You´re right! They are really great knives. They always feel so great in hand and in pocket. I think they are just right when knives are in use. I like the feel of the handles and the F&F is really great.

BTW: I hope the Eye Brand knife fits all your needs

Kind regards
    Andi

Worked on finishing my peach pit fish, not my favorite.
    Used the sheepsfoot and the punch/awl of my stockman, and the pen blade just a little, on my peanut.
    These have all been carved in the last three-four weeks.

very cool Stich!! Especially the peach basket peach pit

Quote Originally Posted by Gevonovich View Post
    very cool Stich!! Especially the peach basket peach pit
    Thanks, the baskets were the first two I did, then I thought I would try something different so tried the mouse,then the face, and lastly the fish. I think I'll try a face again, I need to get some more peaches. If anyone wants to carve peach pits just know the seed inside contains cyanide.

Well here's my one and only stockman. I have a feeling it might remain my only stockman. It's a little bigger than I like to carry in my pocket. There are just several patterns I prefer more.

Last edited by Paradiggum; 06-05-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typos. Always typos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im late to the party but I will try to carry my queen #9 stockman the rest of the month. D2 came dull but now that I reprofilled it to probably a 12 degree edge on each side it is so easy to touch up and gets outrageously sharp and holds it. It will share my right front pocket it my kershaw skyline but will do the majority of the cutting.

Hum - guess I'm the odd man out on this pattern. It never really grabbed me, probably due to the way the sheepsfoot blade often protrudes from the handle when closed, and I've never been a fan of the spey blade. I do have a single example, but it was purchased primarily because I like the handle material.

the bottom one here (Case 6.5 bonestag large CV Stockman) gets carried pretty regularly:

And one of these goes with me almost daily:

Main blade gets the crud work, sheepfoot gets the carving/whittling jobs, and the spay gets the food prep work.

~Chris
    I'm on an indefinite hiatus from forums participation. Other life priorities right now. I can be contacted through my profile.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...om-bladeforums

I have read this thread a number of times and im now intrigued by a stockman.i have never warmed to them (aesthetically) but obviously they are a tried and true pattern and a working knife,all the attributes i like......i know how this ends!............................FES

Quote Originally Posted by festerfromnzed View Post
    I have read this thread a number of times and im now intrigued by a stockman.i have never warmed to them (aesthetically) but obviously they are a tried and true pattern and a working knife,all the attributes i like......i know how this ends!............................FES
    Well FES, I can vouch for the stockman as a worker, I used my yellow bone Boker daily for 5+ years, paired with a Opi #9 in the construction trades and in the woods. The diversity of blades gives you options, even among the pattern there is diversity, it's the only knife I have multiples of and each is very different. The only knife that kicked out my stockman for a little while was my GEC # 54 moose, but since I purchased the Case 6318pu the moose has been resting. I know a lot of people don't like how the sheepsfoot protrudes from the handle, but I for one like this feature, it is the blade I use most frequently and is easy to pinch open while working with or without gloves on. You owe it to yourself to own one, to me it is the quintessential slipjoint pocket knife.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Stich2442 View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like how the sheepsfoot protrudes from the handle....
    I've seen and read evidence of this, but the sheepsfoot blade on the 6318 I won in sitflyer's giveaway doesn't protrude.

I see no evidence that sitflyer filed down its kick, but then he is sneaky-good with tools.

FES, having only seen pictures before receiving this one, I wrongly assumed that the unused blades, sitting in the handle the way they do, would be uncomfortable when using one blade or another. Instead, the whole thing works together really well, feeling good in-hand regardless of which blade is in use. Very good design.

~ P.

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    I've seen and read evidence of this, but the sheepsfoot blade on the 6318 I won in sitflyer's giveaway doesn't protrude.

I see no evidence that sitflyer filed down its kick, but then he is sneaky-good with tools.

FES, having only seen pictures before receiving this one, I wrongly assumed that the unused blades, sitting in the handle the way they do, would be uncomfortable when using one blade or another. Instead, the whole thing works together really well, feeling good in-hand regardless of which blade is in use. Very good design.

~ P.
    It's interesting, the inconsistency among similar patterns, my 6318 sits rather proud, which I like. I wish my 5 bladed Moore Maker protruded a little more.

That's the human element, I guess :-)

I love how the sheepsfoot blade is sitting high, it does make it very pinch-able, thus very fast to open, no need to use the nail nick on that one.
    And in the 18 pattern, the shepsfoot is an almost razor like thin, a great slicer.
    It's been quite nice to use the stockman so far, i enjoyed using mostly the sheepsfoot though, plenty times already, and the month has just began

Whoops! Somehow missed this thread. I'm in for this month, I pledge to carry only my 1982 brown jigged bone Case medium serpentine stockman (6318 HP) for all of June. This is a knife that's been relatively neglected since I purchased it, doesn't get much pocket time so all the more reason to take it with me all month. Gotta admit it's tough to pry the mini copperhead out of my pocket to make room for the serpentine, but it's all in the name of solidarity and the spirit of making good use of the knives we all admire in the way they were intended.

Pics later...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information