Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A knife you bought that really suprised you

ADVERTISEMENT
    The ZT0560/1. yeah it's not a cheap knife but nothing I have compares to it. Big blade that carries like a small because the weight is evenly distributed and has a low ride clip. Liked the 0560 so much I ordered a 0561 also.

Yup. When I was handling it in the store, I wasn't doing too much as to check it out. I didn't wanna make the guy behind the counter looking at me funny like I was trying to break it or something testing for bladeplay and the lock.
    So, I bought it. It looked cool, and it said Benchmade on it. Plus, the price tag wasn't too crazy (even though I overpaid for it. $118.00.......)
    I opened it when I got out to my truck and wasn't totally blown away. Everything I heard people saying bad about it, was on my knife.
    The blade wasnt centered, it had play in every direction, and I couldn't get the pivot screw where I wanted it. I was getting mad.
    I went about a month without carrying it. It was too much of a pain.
    Well I was done. I went out and paid too much for some loctite ($22.00) and got that bladeplay straightened out after half an hour of tweaking.
    I used it alot. The blade centering got better as it worn in. It's almost perfect now.
    The screw stays too.
    The retention stays good too.
    Im glad I stuck it out, because it's a totally different knife than from when I bought it 2 months ago.
    (sorry for the long rant)

Quote Originally Posted by whetrock View Post
    The biggest surprise I've experienced in regard to knives was the quality and F&F of my Cold Steel Voyager. It really exceeded my expectations by quite a margin. It rivals a number of my more expensive knives as far as overall fit and finish is concerned. It also features one of the most secure and safe locks I feel that one can get on a production knives.
    I've heard and read good things about their Recon 1 as well but I have to say that I don't understand why so many (not saying you are) are consumed with "lock strength." I use a knife on a daily basis and though I love frame locks my knives could be Slipjoints and I'd probably never cut myself. When cutting something the pressure is being put on the edge of the blade not the spine/lock...I never seem to find myself in a situation in which that much pressure is being applied to the spine of my folders UNLESS I'm batoning wood with a folder (I "almost" always use a fixed blade for batoning).

I understand that we all want the best functioning knives possible but I guess I've been lucky in never having a lock fail on me. My first knives were Slipjoints so may have learned some painful lessons when I was younger that I no longer recall.

I recently picked up a Colonial stockman at an antique shop for $15.

I was shocked to get home and see how low their retail price is. But for 440a this is a really nice carry. The website says it's treated to 58RC.

Quote Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post
    I've heard and read good things about their Recon 1 as well but I have to say that I don't understand why so many (not saying you are) are consumed with "lock strength." I use a knife on a daily basis and though I love frame locks my knives could be Slipjoints and I'd probably never cut myself. When cutting something the pressure is being put on the edge of the blade not the spine/lock...I never seem to find myself in a situation in which that much pressure is being applied to the spine of my folders UNLESS I'm batoning wood with a folder (I "almost" always use a fixed blade for batoning).

I understand that we all want the best functioning knives possible but I guess I've been lucky in never having a lock fail on me. My first knives were Slipjoints so may have learned some painful lessons when I was younger that I no longer recall.
    the recon 1 is a good knife. I have the mini tanto version. The lock is "sticky" for me but it's also brand new.

For me I have to say the Kershaw Nerve 8cr13mov. This $12 knife was more amazing than I thought it could be. Got the partially serrated blade cause I meant it to be my work knife at Home Depot. Funny/sad story, funny cause it happened and sad cause I lost some pride in my knife handling.... Anyhow, was crouching down cutting a display box when serration caught on some cardboard. Decided to give it a yank and break the rule of cutting away from the body, the blade went through the cardboard like butter and into my knee about 1cm deep hitting bone. Stilling hurting today mhmm. Had been using the knife for work about a month and hadn't sharpened it yet. This knife got me taking a 2nd look at this particular Chinese steel :P

Victorinox classic. I bought a used one for $3 and it was dull, had plenty of blade play, scissors tips were bent. I thought it was a lemon, but I was wrong. I put an edge on it, now it slices cardboard with ease. Scissors still cut cleanly and the tweezers are always at the ready. It's the most useful knife I own by far. Can't imagine what a new one would be like.

Fortunately, I've been pleasently surprised by quite a few knives. The latest ones were a Lone Wolf Longhorn and Kershaw Blur (s30v). I got them both on sale, together with some other knives that were the ones that I actually was more interested in.

I didn't expect to like them and use them so much.

this one, incredibly high finish, mechanics is rock solid and butter smooth
    grinds, inlay, tone areas are finely perfect

have another one which is great too but not as smooth

I never really had too much interest in a fixed blade until I started reading some positive reviews of the Esee 3 mil. Without very high expectations I ordered an Esee 3mil and custom orange G10 scales. This knife has blown me away! It is rock solid, razor sharp, feels great in my hand and will be a constant companion on hikes and camping.

come on folks, when you mention a knife that surprised you it would also help if you said what it is! Pictures are nice but doesn't explain everything.

Mentally in a green field just north of Troy, Al
    Ontario Rat 1 and Cold Steel American Lawman

Never carried or used anything but titanium framelocks for the longest now contemplating selling the titanium framelocks as the Ontario Rat 1 and Cold Steel American Lawman simply blow everything I've got away, and I've got some 400+ plus mid-tech and custom titanium framelocks. There are a few of my titanium framelocks I think I could probably baton the Lawman through. Both of the aforementioned knives are game changers in every since of the word. I'm a user not a collector but I don't like selling knives, however I'm telling you these knives have me thinking long and hard about selling off some of those Ti framelocks. There is something not quite right when a 30 or 50 dollar knife will run circles around a knife that cost 4 to 6 times as much. From a user standpoint the Ti framelocks just don't make much since to me anymore. I keep a lawman in my pocket and rat 1 in my truck.

an opinel. didn't believe the hype, but now that i have one i get it. you won't get a finer quality to cost ratio than that

Spyderco Sage 4. I was amazed at the quality and how it feels in the hand, and I am not really a Spyderco guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeboss View Post

Yup. When I was handling it in the store, I wasn't doing too much as to check it out. I didn't wanna make the guy behind the counter looking at me funny like I was trying to break it or something testing for bladeplay and the lock.
    Nice knife. At $100+, the dude behind the counter can go pound sand if he doesn't like me inspecting a knife.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

ESEE Laser Strike. Bought it because I used to want the old TOPS version, and figured it would be a nostalgia purchase that would eventually gather dust. It turned out to be one of the most comfortable, well-rounded fixed blades I own.

My 5.11 scout folder shocked me by how nice it fit in the pocket and how amazing it felt in my hand as well as the overall FF and cutting performance, others for other reasons are the OKC utilitac II, navy k-507, sog Salute, junglee venom was by far the sharpest out of the box knife I have bought and shipped for 45$ and ats-34 isn't to bad either, blackhawk pointman for 35$ brand new was a great deal in my book, and I'm sure I will think of more but these off the top of my head...most knives that surprised me were on the cheaper side due to the fact I only will spend more than 75 if I really think I'll like it.

Everything Mora. They simply shouldn't perform the way they do for a $10 knife. I'd also say the Becker BK4, which has turned out to be an incredible knife. The BK4 has replaced my hatchets and machetes for most tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Ontario Rat 1 and Cold Steel American Lawman

Never carried or used anything but titanium framelocks for the longest now contemplating selling the titanium framelocks as the Ontario Rat 1 and Cold Steel American Lawman simply blow everything I've got away, and I've got some 400+ plus mid-tech and custom titanium framelocks. There are a few of my titanium framelocks I think I could probably baton the Lawman through. Both of the aforementioned knives are game changers in every since of the word. I'm a user not a collector but I don't like selling knives, however I'm telling you these knives have me thinking long and hard about selling off some of those Ti framelocks. There is something not quite right when a 30 or 50 dollar knife will run circles around a knife that cost 4 to 6 times as much. From a user standpoint the Ti framelocks just don't make much since to me anymore. I keep a lawman in my pocket and rat 1 in my truck.

I'm sure that both the Ontario Rat 1 (I LOVE the Ontario Hossom Retribution 1 & 2) and Cold Steel American Lawman are fine knives. I hear the Recon 1 is a great knife for the money as well.

Are you saying that their blades cut better than your "custom" framelock's? A framelock is just that, a lock, it says nothing about the blade used or its cutting performance. We ALL want strong locks but be careful when using your knife and then you'll never need worry about lock failure.

What type of blade steel did you have your custom knives made from and do said blades not cut well when sharp?

Sanrenmu 707 great lil beater knife, great for a gift too! cant wait for my 710.. Goosey that camo pattern 710 looks amazing!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information