Thread: A knife for a friend and mentor.

A knife for a friend and mentor.

ADVERTISEMENT
    After making my first few slip joints, I showed one to my friend and mentor David Lang. He was so impressed he asked me to make him one. You can imagine my surprise and how honored I felt. I gladly agreed.

Dave moved into my neighborhood the same time my parents did back when I wasn't even 1 year old yet. I have known him my whole life and have memories of going to his shop as a kid and watching him grind on steel. Last August when I decided I wanted to try my hand at making knives I worked up the courage to ask him if he could teach me the ropes. He has taught and continues to teach me most of what I know in knifemaking. I have barely scratched the surface of his wealth of knowledge. He never did get into making slip joints very much so he asked me to make this one. It is black linen over white G-10 and natural canvas. I kept the handle thin on this one and gave it a high polish which I normally don't do on micarta shadow patterns. It's .103" thick CPM 154 CM and measures 3 3/4" closed.

Thanks for looking!

- Jared
    joeserknives.com
    Follow me on Facebook at J. Oeser Custom Knives

I'm sure he will be proud of you,and the beautiful knife,great job,thanks for sharing.

Ret. Chief Smith

Wait, ..what? You´ve only been making knives since last August? I cant believe that you are able to turn out pieces like this, nice bushcrafters and beautiful leatherwork. Your learning curve is about as steep as Sears Towers.
    I completely understand why your mentor asked you to build him a knife. Anyone would be proud of carrying it.

A few weeks ago, I actually dreamt one night that I had moved to a new town (and country appearently). I was thrilled to discover that my new neigbour was (and this is completely true) no other than J. Oeser. Even more strange was that Johnny Mac lived just across the street. Sadly, this is when I woke up and discovered I was still in Sweden.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, last year in June I bought. 1x42 Kalamazoo to sharpen with. Then I did a little experimenting on some old knives and ground them up. By August I wanted to give it a serious try. Everything has just kind of come together since.
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com

Some people were just meant to do certain things in life, you are obviously meant to make knives bro! Artistry in knives..
    Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts .....?
    WTB GEC Black Bullnose with Redneck Pivot! GEC Radio Knife! Scagel Folder #1or#11<--Click Here If You Have One!
    BCCI Lifetime Member #2151 & Proud supporter of JK Knives #47

Quote Originally Posted by J. Oeser View Post
    Everything has just kind of come together since.
    That seems to be a bit of an understatement.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully we will see more of your work soon.

Brian

Love it. I've only been making knive for about a year myself, but you are wayyyy ahead of me.

I really like the knife and the I love the gesture. After hearing the story of how he's known you since you were just a baby, I can only imagine the pride he has in you. That piece of steel and micarta is going to mean a lot to Mr. Lang. A lot more than the sum of it's parts.

Micheal's got it. That knife is going to be very valued for what you represent.
    Dan Pierson

Very nice design.. looks great!

He must be a great teacher,that knife is outstanding!

Blog Entries
    Jared,

Your skills are amazing for such a short time at the craft.
    Jeff

For the amount of time that you've been at it, that knife is incredible. Hell, for any craftsman, that knife is incredible. The fit and finish just looks unreal. Awesome job Jared, anyone would be proud to carry that. As others have said, given the backstory, it's sure to be a most prized possession to Mr. Lang and a glaring example of your skill and appreciation of what he has taught you.

Wonderful knife nice and clean.

Great knife. Heirloom quality stuff. You're making stuff that will be passed down from one generation to the next.
    That one will be named in a will someday.
    " my custom J.Oeser goes to ...................."

Wow, thanks guys. I am truly humbled by your comments.
    - Jared
    joeserknives.com

Jared, it's been said, but it bears repeating - you have an awesome talent, not to mention a great eye for detail, coupled to skills of a very high standard. Beautiful knife and I am sure Mr. Lang will cherish it dearly.

+1 for that. I am nothing short of impressed.

Beautiful! love how it flows.

Thread Information