Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I really get this lucky? (ZT 0750 Prototype)

Did I really get this lucky? (ZT 0750 Prototype)

ADVERTISEMENT
    ZT 0750 "prototype" arrived in the mail today. Comparing it to the 0750 production pics, it has no serial number, the liners are much thinner, it has the "zing" style pocket clip instead of the "skyline" style, and it is slightly smaller than the stated production measurements. Did I really luck into a prototype or is this a knockoff of some sort?

It looks like a tactical Swayback Jack.

I saw it out there but didn't pull the trigger due to no funds ATM. If it is a true prototype, that's a great score!

Quote Originally Posted by jimw451 View Post
    I saw it out there but didn't pull the trigger due to no funds ATM. If it is a true prototype, that's a great score!
    i knew i was taking a chance when i bought it, but it is by far my rarest KAI (possibly 1 of 1) if it is real. all of the markings look right, fit and finish are good, speedsafe fires hard, and it did ship from Oregon. my only concern is that i have never seen another ZT prototype for sale, and i don't know how the seller managed to get his hands on one if it is real. this is my first non-orange purchase in quite awhile, but the price was too good to pass up.

Dude that's a total knock off. Send it to me and I'll point out the problems in some pictures.

Looks real as can be too me. But im sure thomas b through soon too tell ya.

Surprised Thomas or Jim aren't in here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by solidorange View Post
    i knew i was taking a chance when i bought it, but it is by far my rarest KAI (possibly 1 of 1) if it is real. all of the markings look right, fit and finish are good, speedsafe fires hard, and it did ship from Oregon. my only concern is that i have never seen another ZT prototype for sale, and i don't know how the seller managed to get his hands on one if it is real. this is my first non-orange purchase in quite awhile, but the price was too good to pass up.
    I think it's legit, but the real judges should weigh in soon (I would think). It was an excellent price for the knife anyway, even more so if it's a one-off as advertised. You should have seen the asking price when it first showed up out there. I think you scored a winner.

I'm not sure if this is the real deal or not (though I'm pretty sure it's not a fake). If it is real like I think it might be, you are really lucky and if not, you got scammed. I think the only way to be completely sure of what you have is to maybe get one of the guys from Kershaw on here to take a look at it. One of them would be your best bet on a straight answer. The fact that it's a tiny bit smaller than the stated size could mean nothing (one of my para 2's is about a 1/32 of an inch smaller than specs and I know it's legit).

if its a fake id be amazed. There arent many ZT fakes out there and this model hasnt been out long enough for china to copy. I know they are quick but not that quick. And few copies they have made with actual KAI logos are very poorly excecuted and dont really apply to a specific model.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMcustoms View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the real deal or not (though I'm pretty sure it's not a fake). If it is real like I think it might be, you are really lucky and if not, you got scammed. I think the only way to be completely sure of what you have is to maybe get one of the guys from Kershaw on here to take a look at it. One of them would be your best bet on a straight answer. The fact that it's a tiny bit smaller than the stated size could mean nothing (one of my para 2's is about a 1/32 of an inch smaller than specs and I know it's legit).
    it's actually more than a "tiny bit" smaller. i wish i had a production 0750 to compare it to, but my best measurements are as follows:

My Knife
    Blade Length: 2.875 in
    Closed Length: 4 in
    Overall Length: 7 in
    Weight: 3.25 oz

Production Specs
    Blade Length: 3.2 in
    Closed Length: 4.25 in
    Overall Length: 7.25 in
    Weight: 3.7 oz

I still wouldn't be too concerned about the size difference. Prototypes are prototypes for a reason and the production version of the knife can be either larger or smaller than it's prototype version.

To see how easy it is to find prototype knives for sale, go to bladehq and search for "prototype". A surprising number come up (only one or two are in stock though).
    Last edited by JSMcustoms; 06-06-2012 at 06:48 PM.

so, I'd like to talk to you about your purchase.

This might be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    That doesn't sound good

Mike

R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

that looks very fake to me!

Any updates on this? Eagerly waiting!

Proud supporter of Kershawguy.com!
    Tanto Mini Cyclone for sale Here!
    Uber rare Kershaw 1670 PRBLK Blur NIB for sale

Wtf lol we are left in the dark? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by solidorange View Post
    it's actually more than a "tiny bit" smaller. i wish i had a production 0750 to compare it to, but my best measurements are as follows:

My Knife
    Blade Length: 2.875 in
    Closed Length: 4 in
    Overall Length: 7 in
    Weight: 3.25 oz

Production Specs
    Blade Length: 3.2 in
    Closed Length: 4.25 in
    Overall Length: 7.25 in
    Weight: 3.7 oz
    My 0750 is suppose to get here today and then I'll post comparison pictures. My guess is with what you have is a Talon II converted to look like 0750. The liners look more like a Talon II than what I've seen in another 0750 thread from jimw451 and the clip is the same as a Talon.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...7#post10915697
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...8#post10916028

Talon II's specs are very close to what you listed:
    Blade: 2-7/8"
    Closed: 4"
    Weight: 3.2 oz.

If it is a prototype, it was based on a Talon II that I think was dressed up with machined G10 scales and DLC (unless the 0750 was completely sized down to Talon II specs for production) Who knows if it has SV30 or 14C28N. The blade is marked SV30 but if it is a fake who knows what it is. Also I don't know if on prototypes KAI would mark a different steel than what is used on the blade and actually mark what they planned to use in production on it so it would "look" right.

I wonder what Thomas has to say privately

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    I'm all ears Thomas, let's chat. If you would prefer to take it to e-mail, we can go that route.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information