Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck Hoodlum Or Ontario RTAK-II 8628

Buck Hoodlum Or Ontario RTAK-II 8628

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've been looking at the Ontario RTAK-II 8628 and wondered how it compared to the Buck Hoodlum (14.6 ounces). I'm more than a little suspicious of the "Shock Mitigation System" which is part of the Hoodlum, but these knives are both about the same size and the Ontario is a bit heavier (22.5 ounces). Both have 5160 carbon steel and both have around 10-inch blades.

Does anyone have, or have handled, both knives and have any opinions on them? I like the Hoodlum's light weight, and I like the sheath as well. Don't know what kind of sheath the 8628 has.

Thanks!

I have seen folks on youtube break both. I only have the RTAK by Ontario and it's huge! That hole in the Hoodlum is why I have yet to get one. Maybe I might in the future? You can get two RTAK for the price on one Hoodlum.

10.5" Blade, Ontario RTAK II Serrated (#8629), 22.5oz, (.20in) 5160 Steel 54-56 HRC, (made in NY), Micarta Handle, 16.5" Length, black MOLLE Nylon Sheath w/snap-in Pocket, snap-in blade

Quote Originally Posted by AfghanWarrior View Post
    I have seen folks on youtube break both. I only have the RTAK by Ontario and it's huge! That hole in the Hoodlum is why I have yet to get one. Maybe I might in the future? You can get two RTAK for the price on one Hoodlum.

10.5" Blade, Ontario RTAK II Serrated (#8629), 22.5oz, (.20in) 5160 Steel 54-56 HRC, (made in NY), Micarta Handle, 16.5" Length, black MOLLE Nylon Sheath w/snap-in Pocket, snap-in blade
    Good points. I too would probably go with the blade (Ontario RTAK) with the more established track record. I have/had the utmost respect for Ron Hood but just not sure about the Hoodlum yet.

Or you could get one ESEE Junglas for the price of two Hoodlums. Just sayin'.

Blog Entries
    the shock mitigation system on the hoodlum is simply skeletonized handles under the scales, supposedly it lessens vibration it was an accident they discovered during manufacture and decided to name it.

Where at ? I got my Hoodlum for $113.00 with shipping. The cheapest Junglas I can find is $180 with the sheath. I was going to settle on that, but if you know where I can get it cheaper ill take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    I've been looking at the Ontario RTAK-II 8628 and wondered how it compared to the Buck Hoodlum (14.6 ounces) ... these knives are both about the same size and the Ontario is a bit heavier (22.5 ounces). Both have 5160 carbon steel and both have around 10-inch blades.
    Aside from steel type and blade length, these are two VERY different knives. That 1/2-pound weight difference is an indicator, and the overall design-profile of each knife really sets them apart. One is a large fillet knife / light-machete, the other a chopper/bowie. One is full of gimmicks that severely compromise structural stability and ergonomics, the other is relatively plain. Here is a link to a thorough Hoodlum review: http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/rev...dlum_buck.html
    Here is the same reviewer on the Junglas: http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/rev...e_junglas.html
    How does the RTAK-II compare to the Junglas? *shrug*

The RTAK-II is basically the same as a Junglas, except the Junglas doesn't break the first time you use it...or at least I've never seen evidence of this. Haha. I beat the crap out of my Junglas and haven't had to upgrade yet.

From what I can tell the Junglas is really a RTAK-III (3rd Gen) and with upgrades. That being said all steel knives can break. I would like to get an ESSE Junglas one day and its on my list of knives to get.

The RTAK-II's going street price used NIB seems to be $60-$75. The Hoodlums (newer on market) are twice that and the Junglas at three times price. If money is no issue I would get the ESEE Junglas. If money is tight I would get the RTAK-II. The RTAK-II and Junglas are the heavy hitters and weigh more. If you want a lighter blade the Hoodlum would be it. It's all trade off features.

I thought the RTAK 2 used 1095, not 5160

Quote Originally Posted by DeepFriedDoom View Post
    Or you could get one ESEE Junglas for the price of two Hoodlums. Just sayin'.
    Where at ?

Quote Originally Posted by orangish ducktape View Post
    I thought the RTAK 2 used 1095, not 5160
    From Ontario website.
    RTAK-II features 5160 steel construction
    http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/109

Quote Originally Posted by AfghanWarrior View Post
    I have seen folks on youtube break both ... That hole in the Hoodlum is why I have yet to get one. ... You can get two RTAK for the price on one Hoodlum.
    Boy, I can't. The Hoodlum goes for about $125 and the RTAK goes for about $116. I'll do a little more shopping around.

Boy, I can't. The Hoodlum goes for about $125 and the RTAK goes for about $116. I'll do a little more shopping around.
    I just got a second RTAK NIB for $73 shipped last month. I saw another one for $65 but I did not get it.

I have an RTAK II with the 1095 steel. I've used it a great deal and it's in great shape.
    I hear the new steel is even stronger!
    I do not have the new 5160 RTAK II but I can recommend the 1095 version.
    What are you gonna use it for?
    I have an RTAK II tribute group on facebook actually. https://www.facebook.com/groups/152526111453720/
    I really really enjoy my RTAK II.

also have the 1095 rtakii. great knife. haven't owned hoodlum yet but.... i think the hoodlum supposedly better as bush slashers/trimming the twigs or bushes as the rtak is supposedly a better chopper? i read about the review months ago, here in bf.

maybe you want to put kershaw camp 10 and becker bk9 as another option.

i am currently have been satisfied with my rtak and does not need to own junglas (or else) yet.

I have a Hoodlum, the TOPS version, and it is a great design. It works very well and is very light. It has a lot of speed because of the lighter weight, snap cuts are a breeze.

The hollow handle does take some vibration out of the cut so I don't think its a marketing ploy. My Fehrman Final Judgement has a skeletonized handle for the same reason, and I believe it works.

Ron Hood was a pretty stand up guy and was very knowledgeable. His designs were sound and he used what he endorsed.

I have used an ESSE Junglas, which is very similar to the Ontario. The Junglas is a good design. The F&F isn't as good as the Hoodlum, if that matters to you.

Their is also the matter of Ontario confiscating the RAT name, which made Randall change their name to ESEE. I won't buy any Ontario product for that reason, but, you must make that choice for yourself.

I've been looking at the Ontario RTAK-II 8628 and wondered how it compared to the Buck Hoodlum (14.6 ounces). I'm more than a little suspicious of the "Shock Mitigation System" which is part of the Hoodlum, but these knives are both about the same size and the Ontario is a bit heavier (22.5 ounces). Both have 5160 carbon steel and both have around 10-inch blades.

Does anyone have, or have handled, both knives and have any opinions on them? I like the Hoodlum's light weight, and I like the sheath as well. Don't know what kind of sheath the 8628 has.

Thanks!
    The RTAK II. I picked up a buck hoodlum, and I was sorely disappointed. I have a Junglas, but saw an RTAKII in 5160 for 85 bucks, or round about online. I have handled RTAKII here and there, and they were decent. I dont know if Ontario has stepped their game up, or if I got a rarity, because the fit n finish on the RTAK I have just received is on par with my Junglas (sheath aside). While it was not as sharp as the Junglas was out of the box (ESEE has arguably the best factory edges in the business) I easily remedied that, and this thing takes a damned fine edge.

I am taking an extended trip up into the Rockies next month. I am going to seriously thump on this knife, and see how it holds up. Being that they are the same thickness, but the Junglas has a high saber grind, while the RTAK has a FF Grind, I believe that the Junglas is marginally stouter than the RTAK, but 5160 is tougher steel than 1095, so I think that in terms of lateral strength, it would probably be a wash. But I will find out for sure next month.

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor View Post
    The RTAK II. I picked up a buck hoodlum, and I was sorely disappointed. I have a Junglas, but saw an RTAKII in 5160 for 85 bucks, or round about online. I have handled RTAKII here and there, and they were decent. I dont know if Ontario has stepped their game up, or if I got a rarity, because the fit n finish on the RTAK I have just received is on par with my Junglas (sheath aside). While it was not as sharp as the Junglas was out of the box (ESEE has arguably the best factory edges in the business) I easily remedied that, and this thing takes a damned fine edge.
    Like you I can find the RTAK II for about $85. That alone makes it the best buy.

An somebody please link this thread with an Ontario in 516o breaking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information