Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camp Mug, blue ceramic with white lettering

ADVERTISEMENT
    Received the terrific Blue Ridge giant box today with the ceramic mug and some other stuff:

Off topic, other stuff:

Slip-N-Snip folding scissors made in Oregon. I'm never without at least one pair:

Iron Fish folding knife. I've gone over it with a lighted loupe and haven't found any symbols/writing. I've removed the majority of rust with a brass brush, by hand, and still no markings that I can see. Nice robust lanyard ring, still kind of sharp edge, blade's cutting edge closes tightly into split tubular handle, spike for hook removal, screams blacksmith-made to me:

This folding fishing knife has a 1/2 stop, puts the blade at a right angle to the handle, when you put the ring into gap on top of the handle:

Closer view of the gap on the top of the handle without the ring wedged there:

Chanel inside the handle which securely houses the cutting edge of the closed blade:

Very pointy and quite smooth, nail-like, marlin spike end of the handle:

This is about as far as the surface cleanup will go. No maker's mark or symbol found. I'll seal the surface with some fancy stuff over the next few days. Then I'll touch up the cutting edge. I probably won't take it fishing.

Anyone ever seen such a folder?

Anyone think it is a modern fake?

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    This folding fishing knife has a 1/2 stop, puts the blade at a right angle to the handle, when you put the ring into gap on top of the handle:

Closer view of the gap on the top of the handle without the ring wedged there:

Chanel inside the handle which securely houses the cutting edge of the closed blade:

Very pointy and quite smooth, nail-like, marlin spike end of the handle:

This is about as far as the surface cleanup will go. No maker's mark or symbol found. I'll seal the surface with some fancy stuff over the next few days. Then I'll touch up the cutting edge. I probably won't take it fishing.

Anyone ever seen such a folder?

Anyone think it is a modern fake?
    Looks to be a hand held pruning devise to me.

jb4570

You are right that the hawkbill blade would make for a good pull-cut, to trap the twig, pruner. Good idea. Why have a pointy end to the handle? Grafting perhaps...

You are right that the hawkbill blade would make for a good pull-cut, to trap the twig, pruner. Good idea. Why have a pointy end to the handle? Grafting perhaps...
    Hi Steve,

It looks like this would hang on your side via rope lanyard. In the closed position grasp the blade one handed, use the long spike to drag the blade open around a small limb take your other hand a close the blade....snip, limb is cut. It just looks to big and heavy to be a working knife.

How much did the Buck mug cost?

John (jb4570)

So you think it could be used like a sissors. Huh. OK. Vendor appears sold out now...

Surprisingly, the pivot is tight when closed and again when fully open so no blade play at either extreme position of the blade.

$9.99 on the mug. Delivery was free over Father's Day due to free shipping code so I loaded in with miscellaneous and bargain type small things I'd been keeping my eye one.

Have a full cup of coffee to go with one of your famous half glasses of beer Steve

LOL. Turnabout is fair play. You got me. Will do. He, he, he.

You are outstanding in your field but, nevertheless, I'm keeping an eye on you:

Last edited by oregon; 06-20-2012 at 08:36 AM.

John you are outstanding in your genius. This iron folder opens easily, even using my left hand, by holding the closed blade between two fingers and rotation the blade around the pivot when the spike is against a firm surface!

Under six inches overall when fully open and 2.57 ounces. Handle is shaped like an eel while the blade is shaped like a leaf or pea pod.
    Last edited by oregon; 06-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.

I bet this blue ceramic camp mug, and maybe even the red one, is available at the Buck Factory Store: Order/Product Questions: (800) 326-2825, ext. 3. I didn't try that.

I asked a vendor in the far east about these old-looking folders, what they cut and how were they used whether scissor action or like a regular knife and here is the answer:

"They were used for farm tool,Like a knife.The farmer often bring it and the carriage together.I think they are multipurpose. Thanks, Best regards Shuang"

Opium knife, possibly, scheech he said, can't blame the knife. Not my cuppa, wish I hadn't looked into it now but I can't go back: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...iw=866&bih=539

LOL. Turnabout is fair play. You got me. Will do. He, he, he.

You are outstanding in your field but, nevertheless, I'm keeping an eye on you:

You're too much

I am so happy that you have a great sense of humor. Thank you for the broad shoulders. Cudda been worse. Might have put a photo of an evil eye Alpaca instead of regal Great Blue Heron.

I'm so tickled with the beautiful blue and good-sized for me ceramic BUCK mug that I ordered another and was surprised to see that the vendor still has free shipping!

I had to do it. You all made me do it with all those pictures. I am sitting here in VT enjoying a hot cup of coffee out of one of the two new coffee cups I have.
    Life BCCI Member #2245
    WTB 2013/2014 SMKW Buck 110 Transition knife with silk screening on the blade and serialized from 1 to 250.
    WTB 1 green & 2 red 110 EcoLites with a tang stamp of "50/USA".
    WTB Buck 110 FG NIB with the tang stamp of "50/USA" and no handle
    shield.

Enjoy, I drank my coffee from mine this morning-shoulda got more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information