Thread: 2012 Pathfinder Spring Gathering, after action report.

2012 Pathfinder Spring Gathering, after action report.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey guys.
    I just finished sorting through all of the pictures I took of this years Pathfinder school spring gathering and I thought I would a share a few of them. For any of you that have never been it is a 4 day 4 night event that is held at a campground in Ohio with training classes and demonstrations held throughout. This is not a course meant to certify you or simulate being in a wilderness self reliance situation, more of a comfortable family event, very kid friendly. This years gathering also featured a day of training from both the Maine Primitive Skills School and Sigma Six survival school. Training classes included friction fire, wild edibles and medicinals, debris shelter, map and compass, brain tanning, flint knapping, wool processing, Wilderness Emergency First Responder Certification, along with many others. It was awesome to meet people from Florida to Texas to Maine to Canada to the UK, I know I learned almost as much from other attendees as I did the the Instructors. Something that occurred to me was how regional someones experience can be, I saw many examples of this, how taking someone as little as a few hundred miles out of the area they are accustomed to can make a huge difference in there comfort outdoors. The biggest examples of this I saw was in knowing local flora and fauna and the weather, both being dressed for it and being able to predict it. Anyway, dont take this as a complete review, if anyone else was there and would like to contribute there thoughts or tell a story.... or correct me on something, please feel free.

The primitive skills/re-inactors corner

The author and Sean MulHall aka The Silver Fox

Mike from the Maine Primitive Skills School teaching a lesson, Dave Canterbury in the background.

A collection of personnel from different schools doing team bow drill

The author scraping a dear hide at the brain tanning demo

Spoon carving with the Silver Fox

And how could I forget, Archery Tag, imagine paintball with bows and arrows.

Dave got out and played, he is actually pretty good, for a guy his age.

The author, again in a black T-shirt.

This game is awesome, lots of fun, good for all ages, very safe as long as everyone follows the rules and wears the safety equipment.

Archery tag can be played by people of all ages and skill levels, I haven't held a bow in 10 years.

My daughter and I with Dave

And me raising a Canadian flag over the campground immediately before we left.

So, in closing I would sum this up as 4 days and nights of self reliance and primitive skills training with lots of strange and interesting people. Everyone went home safe and a good time was had by all.

Man it looks like so much fun and like there is just so much to learn from so many people. I sure hope I can make it there one of these years.

Looks like a GREAT time

thanks for posting
    Siegle Knife Expert----
    If you have one you want to buy,sell or trade--contact me

Awesome!! Looks like the weather was good too for the gathering. Thanks for the great pics and sharing.

Doug

Thanks for posting. Who taught a Wilderness First Responder course in 4 days? Thanks again, Chris

Thanks for sharing the pics that you took. It really looked like a fun time.
    Playing tag with the bow and arrow looked kind of interesting lol.

Bryan

I was under the impression that the First aid course was only 2 4 hour blocks, I dont recall the name of the instructor.

Did you all do any Hawk throwing? If so do you have any pics, and what makers hawks were there.
    Thanks Doug

There was people throwing knives, hawks, axes, Atlatl (Is that right?) and of course arrows, I didn't catch the maker on anything, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_to_Arms View Post
    There was people throwing knives, hawks, axes, Atlatl (Is that right?) and of course arrows, I didn't catch the maker on anything, sorry.
    Thanks for the reply sounds like a good time was had by all.

Great thread!! Thanks for taking time to post pics and report of your trip!

Thread Information