Thread: Anyone ever handled a Surefire Jekyll?

Anyone ever handled a Surefire Jekyll?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I see a few dealers have this knife for around $140. Seems like a fair price for a Titanium Frame Lock with a flipper. Anyone handled one? I'm wondering how the lockup and ergos are, and overall build quality...
    nice chatting with you...take care of yourself...

I handled one at a show two months ago and have wanted one ever since.

It's a great design: small but sturdy, a perfect size for pocket-EDCing, with a comfortable choil, a 3-inch blade that can be opened with flipper or dual thumb studs, and is light at about 3 ounces.

No vids or independent reviews that I could find.

I understood the Surefire rep to say that the company was getting out of the knife business, so these may be closeout prices.

Mine came last night and it is compact and sturdy.

A great backup for LEO, first responder or military. And just the right size for anyone else to pocket-EDC.

The numbers tell the story:

-- 3.7 inches closed
    -- 3.1 inch blade
    -- 3 oz!

Lockup is good. Opens and closes with a nice audible click. Smooth opening and closing with dual thumb studs or flipper. Out of the box, the flipper takes a little wrist flick, which is no problem.

I have small-medium hands (usually glove size 8.5) and can get 3 1/2 to 4 fingers on handle. Someone with really large hands may want to consider a larger model.

I found a coupon and paid $136, shipping included.

I got two folders in the mail yesterday; the second was a 3.5 inch model that weighs more than 5 oz. I like both but the Jekyll is just the right size for my pocket. Recommended.

Thanks for the reply. I also received one yesterday!

I agree with your points and am pleasantly surprised with this little edc. My only criticisms are:

- the blade length is actually 2.75" because surefire measures from the pivot not the start of the handle, so it's a bit smaller than expected but still nice.

- the lock engages more than I like for a nib knife, almost 100% engagement but still about half the blade thickness away from the other scale on mine. I considered sending it back because of the lockup, but then figured ill wait and see how it plays out and with surefire warranty and service behind it I'm not too worried, they have always had an outstanding reputation for standing behind their product.

Here are a few pics with my large sebbie. It's just thinner than the sebbie overall and same blade thickness, a nice beefy little knife! I modded a ZT Lowrider clip for mine as you can see, I did not care for the stock clip in construction and how high it sits the knife in pocket. The thumbstuds on the Jekyll are fantastic by the way, oversized and grippy so it's easy to open left and right handed.

Does surefire make their own knives? if not who makes them?

Nice pix -- love the new clip!
    Stock clip is not deep-pocket but not bad and is good fit for my pocket.

Agree with you on blade length. On lockup, mine is very early.

What's that on the end of your lanyards?

We still don't know for sure if Surefire is discontinuing these and the rest of its knives, as a rep told me at a recent show. These appear to be close-out prices. I'm glad I grabbed one -- wish I could afford a backup.

Those are tritium beads on my lanyards. I'm a night owl and llike being able to find my knives in the dark!

I just figured out why I like the Jekyll so much. In hand it reminds me of my other favorite "little" knife...

Quote Originally Posted by espnazi View Post
    Does surefire make their own knives? if not who makes them?
    Surefire doesn't make knives. They are USA-made for Surefire, according to the rep who spoke to me.

I have a Dart and I really like it.

I've heard the Jekyll is really small, I'm waiting to find a good deal on the Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy092 View Post
    I have a Dart and I really like it.

I've heard the Jekyll is really small, I'm waiting to find a good deal on the Charlie.
    Yes, it is.

Also check out the Edge flipper model.

I liked the Jekyll but ended up returning it as defective.

Just opening and closing mine for a few weeks caused a growing semi-circular mark on the blade where it opened. I saw this once before on another folder that lacked a washer.

A real pity because it's an otherwise fine piece.

Quote Originally Posted by flash900 View Post

Just opening and closing mine for a few weeks caused a growing semi-circular mark on the blade where it opened. I saw this once before on another folder that lacked a washer.

Are you talking about that little ball detent on the lock side making a mark ?

Quote Originally Posted by flash900 View Post

Mine has that too. It's not defective, it's from the ball detent riding on the blade and is perfectly normal. You can even see it in the pics of mine I posted above...

Yep, that's what it was!

OK , thanks for the reply ,,,

Thread Information