Thread: Hiking Bag

Hiking Bag

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm looking for a good backpack for hiking. I don't need a bag bigger than the average school backpack, but it needs to be real rugged. I know Maxpedition puts out good stuff, but I'm not sure I want something that has a military style with MOLLE panels. I'll probably use it for other things too in urban settings. It needs to..

1.Carry a hatchet
    2.Carry a water bottle
    3.Chest and belt straps

Give me feedback, I've been eating up the threads and digesting the knowledge.

Stay sharp!

Camelbak Linchpin would be perfect. It's a little military style, but doesn't have all the molle attachments. It's got a very cool front open compartment that will seat a hatchet nicely. I don't remember about the chest/belt straps, but I know it uses the "futura harness" system from Mystery Ranch. It's definitely got the toughness of Maxped bags (I've got a Falcon2, pygmy falcon2, Sitka and monsoon). It takes a bladder, but you could easily fit a water bottle in one of the side compartments or main bag.

If you really want to keep it smaller, than go w/ the Maxped Pygmy Falcon 2 - it doesn't look as military-ish as the bigger bags (particularly if you get black or khaki). And it's got 2 water bottle holders in addition to the bladder compartment. I don't think this one has either chest straps or belt straps.

If you want something a little bigger than the Linchpin, then you could go with the Kelty Map. It's super durable and has a pretty big main compartment. It's very comfortable and has chest/belt straps. Made for military use, but comes in a variety of colors. I've got one in Ocean Grey - almost looks like a light black to me.

Based on what you've asked for, I'd go w/ the Linchpin.

What sort of environment will you be using it in? if you're going to mostly be in woods, any bag by a decent company made from 420d fabrics will be fine as long as the zippers are tough and the bottom its reinforced. Any of the 20ish liter camelbaks would be good. If your going to be at elevation in Rocky environments, I'd go with one of the smaller arc'teryx framed bags like the smallest Kata series pack. I've been using the hell out of my Bora packs for years in the Rockies and cascades, they're bullet proof.

Osprey Kode bags are great. They're designed to carry gear on the back, and have ample room for snacks/gear/water inside without being bulky.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic318088_2.gif
    May your life be more than a series of chance events.

I have an REI Flash 18 (I think that's what it's called) that they market as a day hiking bag. I put a water bladder in mine, since it's set up for it, and it has enough attachment points to hook up a hatchet, water bottle, etc. It has chest and waist straps as well and packs very small when not in use.

I have a Mountain Hardware day pack that I love, but I can't remember the model. I also have a GoLite which is an older discontinued version of what is now the Jam. I got the GoLite because it is so light, nothing on the market could match the capacity for even close to the weight. It is probably not nearly as rugged as you are looking for, but the Mountain Hardware is. I prefer light over rugged for long hikes personally. The GoLite is bigger than a school pack, but it folds down to not much bigger.

I recently bought a pack off eBay from aslicer5 in Maine. It's a little larger than I wanted but it will cover all my travels. For a larger guy, I liked the wider set shoulder straps. Two nice zipper side pockets for 1L water bottles, molle attachments everywhere, top and side handles and will hold a 15" laptop. Also has a nice removable kidney belt. Comes in multiple colors and was $70 shipped.

I've been using a Gregory Shakra for years and love it. Sternum straps, waist belt, rugged rubber bottom, drawstring closures and heavy-duty zippers.
    It's actually much larger than I need most of the time, but consider the extra clothes and gear necessary for winter and autumn hiking.

REI brand gear is good. Mountainsmith, Lowe, Camelback, and North Face are all high quality brands in my experience. There's a well-known outdoor store that specializes in closeouts and discontinued colors where you can usually find plenty of name-brand daypacks at reasonable prices.

You want rugged and traditional? Can carry an axe, chest strap, and no cheesy tactical crap? Looks good in an urban setting as well as on the trail? If you can stomach the price tag, the Duluth Pathfinder Rambler or Bushcrafter may be what you are looking for.

The Duluth's are sexy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maxpedition,remora or sitka.

i love mine.

Look into Goruck. There equipment is top notch and very rugged.

Check out the GoLite Rush 20L, I think it may be more the size you're looking for. It has the chest strap, removable hip belt w/pockets, 3 liter resevoir and 2 water bottle pockets- and the price is so good I want one even though I already have 2 similar packs!

Try out the Kelty MAP 3500 or the Kelty Peregrine 29; they are both well made and not as damn stiff as the Maxpedition stuff.
    http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3...ault-pack.html
    http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-pereg...-backpack.html

Mystery Ranch Sweat Pea or Dragon Slayer. I have a Sweet Pea and it is about perfect for a three day pack in wilderness and urban settings.

Thread Information