Thread: To Junkyard Dog II or not to Junkyard Dog II

To Junkyard Dog II or not to Junkyard Dog II

ADVERTISEMENT
    Tip me over the edge!

I am thinking about a JYD II composite blem in either the black G-10 or the gray G-10? What's the good, the great, and the excellent that I should know before I buy a JYD II?

There really are no complaints about the JYD II. Flips well, carries pretty well (though the clip aesthetics is a matter of opinion), upgraded steel works well, the composite blde weld looks cool, the size works well for me (I have big hands)...... It's just a good 'ol Kershaw and a great Tim G design IMO. Good value for the money too.

My plain black G10 one is a production unit, while my fuselage pattern grey one was a short run bought as a new one, but what I got was a blemish. That earned the seller less than great feedback. Still, I like it's look - it gets carried a lot more. Great knife - and that pocket clip looks/works best when left in the box! My favorite Kershaw model... especially the Ti/SG-2 variant, but it would be hard to find nowadays - even a blem!

Okay, I have a Tilt!, too... and it's favor is growing...

Stainz

The JYD 2 is an rocking blade! It flips very well for it's size and the lock snaps in with authority. The ergos are very good and it is a comfy knife to use and fondle. The composite blade looks very cool, and the D2 holds a fine edge for a good amount of time. I would say get the grey JYD first. The grey looks very good, and it is nice to see another color other then black, not to mention that the grey is a little harder to find.
    That being said, the clip sucks..... It is too damn big and it attracts too much attention when carrying it, though since you can easily tap your own screw holes you can put a more sensible clip on with ease, or you can buy a custom titanium one from STR (if he still makes them).

All in all, awesome knife and for $55 you just can't go wrong with the Junk Yard Dog 2.

-orangish ducktape
    Last edited by orangish ducktape; 06-12-2012 at 01:03 PM.

You can put me in with the "can't go wrong" camp. I have had one a couple of years now, and probably like it more today than when I first got it. It is a very well built knife without being a tank. Kershaw's D2 is an excellent steel, holds and edge very well and is easy to sharpen. The blade has enough belly to be useful for all manner of cutting needs, and is big enough to make a great work/camp/hunting knife.

I agree with others on the clip, but I don't really notice it any more. I just grab it and go.

Excellent knife.

Robert

I love the knife but hated the clip so......I fixed it.

Anyone that doesn't have one yet should be getting one soon, my guess is that they are gone after this year. All that is left for 2012 is the composite blade.
    But there will be 3 good overseas models to take its place. And they will each out sell the JYD2 by 10x.

Quote Originally Posted by presz View Post
    I love the knife but hated the clip so......I fixed it.

Anyone that doesn't have one yet should be getting one soon, my guess is that they are gone after this year. All that is left for 2012 is the composite blade.
    But there will be 3 good overseas models to take its place. And they will each out sell the JYD2 by 10x.
    I probably won't do the clip mod right away. If I decide to do the mod later do you have a how to thread? I searched for the original thread, but didn't find it. One more question. What color of "gray" is the gray model. In some pics, like the one on Kershawguy's site it looks a little greenish. However some pics show it as being just "gray". I wonder if it is my monitor.

Thanks for all the great replies,
    Squashfan

Mine isn't green at all IMO. But the early grays are lighter in color than the later ones. My gray is early. Also the grays should all be 13c26 or 14c28n. There were a few blems sold with gray and composite blades but it was never a stock item.

If you like the handle design, the CB JYD II is very high on my "bang for your buck" list. You won't be disappointed.

i have 3 of them... they are EPIC

I was getting ready to order the 1725CB blem with gray handle from Kershawguy when I saw that he has some Skyline fixed blade blems, and also the Zing plain edge I have been lusting after, as well. ARRRGGGHHH! WHY MUST KERSHAW PRODUCE SO MANY GREAT BLADES! I don't know what to do!

I just jumped on the JYD2 bandwagon about 10min ago with a blem from Kershawguy. I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be

Thanks for all the really great replies! I appreciate your time. I will be placing an order with Kershawguy soon. I haven't decided what I am ordering though, whether it be a JYD II or a Turbulence or the dark horse contender, a Bradley Kimura VII. Rest easy tonight guys, and know that BF has cost me more money.

Squashfan

I don't think you could get a better knife for the money. JYD2 CB.

I have a grey JYD on order from Kershawguy; it's in transit, should get it today or tomorrow, really looking forward to it. I handled a JYD at a local shop recently, and it impressed me enough to order one (it was a standard blade, not composite, so I didn't buy it on the spot). I figure I will probabley install a Skyline style clip for tip-up right-hand carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashfan View Post
    I was getting ready to order the 1725CB blem with gray handle from Kershawguy when I saw that he has some Skyline fixed blade blems, and also the Zing plain edge I have been lusting after, as well. ARRRGGGHHH! WHY MUST KERSHAW PRODUCE SO MANY GREAT BLADES! I don't know what to do!
    I got mine (JYD) from Kershawguy earlier this week, and it's fantastic! Don't hesitate if you can afford it. The only thing that I could find "wrong" with it is that the scales are two slightly different shades of gray (which I kind of actually like). After I stropped it on an old belt, it was scary sharp!

You guys sold me on one! I just ordered one from Kershawguy. Really lookin forward to it!

I also got the Gray Blem from KershawGuy and I am pleased with it, and it also was scary sharp.

Thread Information