Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The"Do You Know a Good (and Responsible) Kid..."Giveaway **WINNER Vanguard41xx!**

The"Do You Know a Good (and Responsible) Kid..."Giveaway **WINNER Vanguard41xx!**

ADVERTISEMENT
    Recently, I came to the conclusion that my 12 yr. old nephew (now 13) was ready for a decent fixed blade. He's a kid after my own heart with interests in the outdoors and fishing.
    I've been feeding him a steady stream of cheap knives since he could walk (much to the chagrin of his mother) but he has shown such responsibility that I thought he was good and ready for a proper, well made knife. So I gave him an Alan Davis knife in stag and whip-saw steel while camping a couple weeks back. I thought I would have to push his eyeballs back into his head when I slid it across the picnic table on our first day.Nik was so happy. He wore it on his belt for two straight days and was constantly taking it out of its sheath to stare at it in awe.

Do you know a good hearted kid that's responsible enough for a small fixed blade? Is there a boy or girl who loves the outdoors as much as, or even more, than video games? It feels like kids are getting more and more disconnected with out-of-doors activities these days, and that’s a shame. I grew up with a lake for a front yard and a 100 acre woods for a backyard, and I was always carrying a knife for all sorts of adventures. Thems were good times. I like to unplug kids from the Matrix and get them outdoors doing the same.

The Rules:
    This giveaway is all about the kids. To participate, please tell me about a kid you would nominate to win this Case M3 Finn knife. Tell me why he or she would be delighted in having it. Post a pic of fun family activities if you wish. By entering so you are accepting responsibility that your kid is sensible, and will use it under your supervision, and will not throw it, run with it, point it at people and all that general naughtiness. The knife is built for small hands, being only 6.25" overall, and slender.
    This contest is open to REGULAR Traditional forum participants. For purposes of this givewaway I am asking that you have at least 100 posts here.

I will let this run until Sunday morning, June 17th. Then I will call Nik and have him choose a number. He'll get a kick out of paying it forward to another kid.
    Thanks all.

Last edited by comoha; 06-17-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    -Corey

The is a great giveaway and an awesome opportunity for someone to affect a kid's life with a great gift.

My cousin is a great kid, he is also, at times, a not so great kid.
    Unfortunately he has been babied a bit and his love of the outdoors has been stunted. I've gone for walks with him around our farm and he loves to explore; he always carries a walking stick/sword with him.
    The one day we were out, he got caught up on a thorn bush. It had his pants pretty good, he tried to get out of it himself, but finally he let me step in. I had my orange Bull Nose with me and I made quick work of the thorn bush. His eyes lit up when he saw that knife, he said, "I wish I had a pocket knife just like that". He said it in such away that he knew his Mom would never have it and as long as thats the case, than I am staying out of it.

He's gonna be a good kid someday, but not yet. Once his Dad gets a little more control on him and gets him into the outdoors a little more. He'll be okay.

This is not an entry though, again, he's not there yet.

Great idea for a giveaway, Corey. Thanks!

I can't think of any youngsters that would qualify. My sons are both older, with no kids yet.

my twin daughters have small folders now. They are sharp, but not "SHARP". They are 10

They already have perfect gun range "etiquette" when we go shoot and know their way around a Ruger 1022, the SkS, and Mom's 380. I have one shooting a compound bow...the other is a princess (lol). But the PRINCESS can field strip the AR and SkS faster than I can!!

Both are ready to get their 1st 'real' knife. One more than the other though.

Thank you for this great giveaway.

I have two sons (11 & 15)...my oldest already has a nice sized collection from going places with me. My youngest, however, looks up to his older brother and wants to start a knife collection. He already has one or two my son gave him that he doesn't want so this Case would be a great start to his collection.

We also go out to my parent's house every summer down south to fish and camp and whatnot. I think he has grown up enough (after watching him handle his pocket knives) that I can trust him to camp with a fixed blade.
    -Tom

Looking for Easy Open Jacks of all variety...

Whoa! Off the page already!
    Don't you guys know any kids?
    -Corey

comoha,

This is a great giveaway!

For me, the timing is similar to that of others who have replied-- my sons are 16, 20, and 22, outside the age parameter that you are so generously targeting. Come to think of it, my daughters are also older (youngest is 14), but as they are not Of The Knife I wouldn't enter on their behalf anyway.

I love what you're doing for and with your nephew.

~ P.

Thank you for the chance, Corey ...

I donīt have kids til now. Maybe someday...

Well, but I have a nephew - heīs 14 years old this year. When he had his 12th birthday I gave him a Vic Ranger as a birthday present. This year, my nephew saw met me while carrying the typical bavarian clothing. A Jagdnicker, for sure, in the pant-pocket. Thatīs a typical german pattern. He wanted to carry it and using it. His birthday is on November 11th - heīs gonna get a Jadgnicker by Linder or Hubertus as a present.

Kind regards
    Andi

As a Scoutmaster, I get to work with 24 boys 11-17 every Thursday night, as well as weekend camping trips, and summer camp. Both my sons (14 and 17) have their own knives, but I have one Scout in particular who I would like to suggest. This boy is 15 and has been active with Scouts since he was a Tiger Cub at age 6. He spends a lot of time outdoors, he comes from a family that fishes, hunts and camps regularly. In recent times though they've had a rough patch. First, his little brother was born with cerebral palsy which forced his mom to give up her job to stay home with his brother. Then his dad lost his job and was out of work for quite awhile (luckily he is back working now), as a result this boy had to leave his school as his folks couldn't afford it. Then last year, his doctor recommended back surgery to correct a kind of hunchback condition. This boy has two long rods and 19 screws holding his back together. Any other kid (or adult for that matter) probably would have thrown in the towel by now, but not this boy. Not only has he bounced back from the surgery like nothing happened, he's now my Senior Patrol Leader, and probably the best one I've had since I became Scoutmaster.

He likes knives but with one exception (a Kershaw), he mostly has gas station type folders. Of any boy I know, he's most likely to use and appreciate a good knife while fishing, hunting and camping.

Thank you for the opportunity Corey, this is a terrific idea!

Sincerely,
    Griff

Let's bump this up for weekend folks!
    -Corey

This is my nephew Owen. He is 7 and a half years old but quite a responsible little guy. So far I have given him a Swiss army alox cadet and he gets quite a lot of use out of it. He loves the outdoors and he just loves fishing. He caught his first large trout a couple weeks ago and was so proud when he told me about it (he had to tell everyone about it). If he were to win the knife he would use it under my supervision. His mom loves knives as well and she love it when I take Owen out fishing or to the woods. Thanks for the chance

Great giveaway idea !

I have made a couple knives for local scouts that have achieved the rank of eagle, these were reward knives and did not cost them a dime.

I urge others to be as generous as you are, this is a great pay it forward idea.

Working on Eagle Scout Reward knife # 3 right now

Comoha...what a wonderful give-away....i would like to put my son in for this....a more passionate hunting and fishing 8 year old,you would be hard pressed to find..Im teaching him how to sharpen now and he already do,s a better job than most adults............with thanks.........FES

Hi Corey, Well my girls have no passion for knives but I think your giveaway is in the heart of the Traditional group for sure, well done and thank you
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

Wow very generous. The finn would be well treated and well used by my 11 yo son. So far I've only given a case peanut. The finn would be used mostly for fish cleaning in our case.

Corey...this giveaway is a fantastic idea. Just makes me smile. We must get our youth into the great outdoors so that they are ingrained with an appreciation for the beauty of Mother Earth and all her rejuvenating qualities. And all the limitless things she has to teach.

"Why has man rooted himself thus firmly in the earth, but that he may rise in the same proportions into the heavens above?"
    Henry David Thoreau

Good luck to all your fine kids

Winner: Vanguard41xx

Thanks everyone for yoru fine posts and great pictures. The spirit of what it means to be "traditional" is that we pass things down to younger generations, both in items like knives, but more importantly in appreciation and knowledge.

The winner of this giveaway is:
    #5 Vanguard41xx
    Congratulations!
    -Corey

18. Congrats, Vanguard41xx. Very cool giveaway, Corey!

Thank you Corey! I just told him and he was very excited.
    -Tom

Looking for Easy Open Jacks of all variety...

Congrats to your son Vanguard!! Thank you Corey...perfection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information