Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Smith & Wesson SWHRT1 HRT Tactical Boot Knife

  1. #1

    Smith & Wesson SWHRT1 HRT Tactical Boot Knife


    ADVERTISEMENT
    I am about to buy my first boot knife and I was looking at this one, but online I find mixed reviews so I thought I would ask people who know how to judge knives. Any advice on this knife or a comparable one?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    here, there, and somewhere in between
    Posts
    4,905
    I'd spend a little bit more and get something with better steel, such as this:

    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-P...er-Fixed--6002

    S&W may make a fine firearm, but their knives leave a lot to be desired. Just my two cents. The Sandvik steel from the Boker is much better steel compared to the alphabet steel in the HRT1.

  3. #3
    Welcome!

    Define "comparable," if you would. What are the qualities in this knife that attract you to it? Price? Looks? You want something "self-defense-y"? Looking for small knives? etc etc etc

  4. #4
    The only thing is where I live double edge knives are illegal, so I need a single edge like the S&W. Thanks for the input!

  5. #5
    @Marcinek- I like that it is a single edge and the price is great but I can spend more.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    1,422
    Kabar BK series like BK2 ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    here, there, and somewhere in between
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX450 View Post
    The only thing is where I live double edge knives are illegal, so I need a single edge like the S&W. Thanks for the input!
    The Boker is single edged if I'm not mistaken. The swedge is not sharpened.

    A short review of sorts: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...t=boker+mosier

  8. #8
    It is I'll read up on that knife thanks for the suggestions. Is there a boot knife that can also be used as a survival knife cause I hike and camp alot and need something light to carry with me. I really appreciate all the information.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    here, there, and somewhere in between
    Posts
    4,905
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX450 View Post
    It is I'll read up on that knife thanks for the suggestions. Is there a boot knife that can also be used as a survival knife cause I hike and camp alot and need something light to carry with me. I really appreciate all the information.
    I was actually thinking of that before posting the Boker Mosier. I just kinda figured you wanted to stay with that blade style.

    There are several, but they are not the same blade shape. The first few that come to mind are the ESEE Izula, Ka-Bar Becker Necker, and the Ka-Bar ESEE Eskabar (an ESEE and Ka-bar collaboration). The Izula comes in lots of diff colors. EDIT: They're not really boot knives per se. Just small fixed blades. Then again, a fixed blade can become a boot knife if you carry it in the boot.

    Eskabar:


    Becker Necker:


    Izula:



    And for something fancier:

    http://newgraham.com/store/product/9...Black-Micarta/
    Last edited by harkamus; 06-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.

  10. #10
    I like all those but I also like to have a full handle not just empty space in the middle... I know I'm being picky but this is going to be a EDC knife for me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    1,422
    You can weave a paracord grip through those

  12. #12
    I also read that the Ka-Bar Becker's sheath dulls the knife and I don't want to have to sharpen it every other time I take it out to use it. Yeah the IZULA seems like the one that I might get but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Another question that I have is I wear cowboy boots every day would all these knives fit and stay on cowboy boots? I know that's probably a stupid question but I don't know much about boot knives.

  13. #13
    1) That Smith & Wesson SWHRT1 HRT Tactical Boot Knife is not a good hiking and camping knife. The Eskabar, Becker Necker, and Izula are infinitely better designs for hiking and camping (and probably "survival," whatever that means...)

    2) You don't have to sharpen an Izula every other time you take it out of the sheath. The sheath doesn't dull it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by marcinek View Post
    1) That Smith & Wesson SWHRT1 HRT Tactical Boot Knife is not a good hiking and camping knife. The Eskabar, Becker Necker, and Izula are infinitely better designs for hiking and camping (and probably "survival," whatever that means...)

    2) You don't have to sharpen an Izula every other time you take it out of the sheath. The sheath doesn't dull it.

    I think the sheath might eventually dull it but not in a very noticeable way and not very quickly. certain youtube reviewers *hehhem* don't know what they're talking about.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherhudson View Post
    certain youtube reviewers *hehhem* don't know what they're talking about.
    Winner of the 2012 Understatement of the Year Award!

  16. #16
    I decided to go with the Izula, it's better quality, made in the U.S.A (which is a big thing to me), I can but a had grip for it and there are no reviews about it being poor quality (especially the sheath). Thanks for all the help guys! Glad I joined this forum!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    4,441
    I have a couple of the SWHRT1's... i like them, but they're nothing special

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    130
    i also bought the izula in the last month and i now carry it every day there is just so many options for the handle and also the sheath is pretty universal

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    4,441
    yeah, as an EDC, the HRT is a terrible choice. It has very little utility value

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kappi011 View Post
    i also bought the izula in the last month and i now carry it every day there is just so many options for the handle and also the sheath is pretty universal
    What do you mean there are so many options for the handle? I only found the para cord and canvas handle for it online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •