Thread: Please some help wanted (Buck 055 or Companion)

Please some help wanted (Buck 055 or Companion)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Greetings you all.

My son is planning to give me a knife for father's day and I'm dubbing between the 55 or Companion.
    I like the single bladed traditionals the most, but the 55 is a good 25 euro's more expensive over here than the Companion.

Since my son is spending his own money I would really like to know what is the better knife of the 2 in terms of sturdyness fit and finish. I like both knives and I wouldn't mind having either of them.

It would be a disappointment for the both of us if I would get a knife with play or terribly off centred blades.

Living in the Netherlands it's no option to send the knife back to Buck.

So I really hope you can and will help me out on this.

Thanks very much for reading

Do you like lock blade or slip joint better? Thats really the only question-both will be outstanding quality. Neither should have any blade play. I would prefer the 055 because its a small 110 and I prefer lockbacks. Both are smaller knives which should be considered.

Good luck

Spyd,

Why don't you both make a trip to the knife shop together and you pick the one you like best!
    jb4570

Some photographs of the locking 55 for your amusement along with a Spyderco, per your moniker, Endura for comparo. The 55 is tiny, thin, locks securely and is a hoot to see and handle (I've never carried it or used it as I consider the 424 the top of the heap for pocket carry):

Buck 55 versus Bucklite 424 (a brilliant user IMHO):

A couple of slippies for your amusement:

Buying strategy for the Small Buck folders: You might consider buying via hands on comparison in order to pick the Alpha knives and eliminate your hallmarks of dislike.

Great to have such a son. You are a lucky man. Revel in your good fortune.

It's kinda like comparing apples to oranges IMO. But still both are what I'd call a minimalist folder and very wise EDC choices for one who doesn't want to carry too much knife. I carry a 309 quite a bit and have found it to be a great middle ground between a Jack knife or larger Pen knife and a Peanut. The 055 is also a great little folder and I've felt for some time that it tends to live undescovered by the masses in the knife world. I really would like to see the 055 (as well as a few other models ) added to the custom shop along with the 110 and 500 series. An S30V 055 would make for a killer EDC choice as far as I'm concerned.

That's not an easy choice you have a head of you..I owned a 309 for a while, and it is a nice knife. It's small enough to sit in the bottom of your pocket and not leave much of an impression while still being able to handle a variety of chores. For me though, the 055 wins. It manages to be elegant as well as tough, in a package that isn't much bigger than the 309.

Quote Originally Posted by jb4570 View Post
    Spyd,

Why don't you both make a trip to the knife shop together and you pick the one you like best!
    jb4570
    Wish we were that lucky over here.
    Hardly any hardware shops over here where you can choose from various American brands besides one or two grossly overpriced Spyderco's or ditto Bucks 110 or 112 or Alpha Hunters.

Thank you very much so far for the replies and the great pics.

Email inbound.

SpyD,

The 55 has been made in many LE/SO issues over the years. Here are a few to look at

jb4570

Thread Information