Thread: Wow...

Wow...

ADVERTISEMENT
    I started sharpening up a knife I've had for a long time made by Schrade, and one side of the knife is at around a 40º angle, the other is closer to 60 or 70º HOLY CRAP!! I thought they were a decent brand! I've had $2 flea market knives that had better profiles than this!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Are you saying 100 degree inclusive?

Perhaps what you mean is one side is 30 degree, the other is 30-35 degree, resulting int 50-55 incluaive?

I think the 'new' Schrades, last 10-15 years, are made in China (I think). Check the blade. Should be easy enough to re-bevel as the steel might be soft.

What model is it?

So far as I know, Schrade didn't start importing anything from China until after Taylor Brands took over the Schrade name in 2004, after which all of Schrade's existing manufacturing plants were shut down. Prior to that, all of Schrade's manufacturing operations were in New York and Ireland. All of the US-made Schrades should be marked as such ('USA' or 'U.S.A' on the blade tang).

It's a Schrade Old Timer 330T and it is in fact marked "China". I'm pretty positive it's some form of carbon steel, though I'm not too sure of the exact material

@Chris: No honestly, the left side of the blade (when holding the handle in a cutting position) was around 60-70º, the right side around 40º. It took forever to even it out lol

That is just sad. I have a Shrade Old Timer 160 OT that is my favorite knife. It was a gift from my father 25-30 years ago. Soon to be given to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn7656 View Post
    It's a Schrade Old Timer 330T and it is in fact marked "China". I'm pretty positive it's some form of carbon steel, though I'm not too sure of the exact material

@Chris: No honestly, the left side of the blade (when holding the handle in a cutting position) was around 60-70º, the right side around 40º. It took forever to even it out lol
    The China-produced Schrades are all stainless steel. The era of the carbon-bladed Schrades ended with the Schrade USA Old Timers. And even some of those were stainless also.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed with Edges View Post
    The China-produced Schrades are all stainless steel. The era of the carbon-bladed Schrades ended with the Schrade USA Old Timers. And even some of those were stainless also.
    This is quite depressing... I've gotta pick up a carbon steel blade...

That's the only reason I sharpened the thing!

This is quite depressing... I've gotta pick up a carbon steel blade...

That's the only reason I sharpened the thing!
    You might look for a used Old Timer on the 'bay, or even in the Exchange here. Good thing about the used ones is, the carbon-bladed ones can easily be identified, as they'll always have at least a little bit of patina (and most a lot more). Not too expensive either, for one with a few miles on it. The mint or near-mint OTs, from the '70s era or earlier (look for the brown, two-piece boxes), can get pretty pricey. I think Schrade began to transition to stainless steel in the Old Timer line in the late '90s, and most are clearly marked as 'Schrade +' to indicate stainless. However, at least some of the later OTs with stainless blades weren't always clearly marked as such. This is why the older ones are a better bet, if you're wanting a carbon-bladed OT (in 1095 steel).
    Last edited by Obsessed with Edges; 06-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Well I'm not set on the brand or anything, I just want a carbon blade. I was thinking about picking up an Opinel 8 or something

EDIT: Scratch that, more like a no. 6 or smaller... I didn't realize the 8 was so huge!

Well I'm not set on the brand or anything, I just want a carbon blade. I was thinking about picking up an Opinel 8 or something
    That's a good choice too. I have one, and like it.

100 degree inclusive is crazy, but not a problem once you reprofile it for sure. Being Chinese stainless if the 8Cr family should be easy to do too.

No 8 is not that huge, a bit similar size with Enlan EL02 IMO.

No 10 is huge, same as Resilience! YMMV I guess ..

Well I live near Chicago and they have a <2.5" law. This makes cops think that that law is for the areas outside of it as well, and I've actually had one try to take a 3.5"er until I politely explained that there are no size laws outside of Chicago

I normally only carry 4" or less though as I've never really had a need for more, unless I'm doing a lot of stuff in the woods in which case I may grab something bigger

Boker makes carbon folders in a good variety of patterns and not too pricey.

Thread Information