Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this 112?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumberdv View Post
    Yes, thank you Joe. Don't be such a stranger!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you when and if you find the answer.
    Any word on this one yet?

Nope, not a peep out of Joe since his last post here.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

It's a good one to make a custom...Mirror polish to make the blade stand out,burl bone or stone handle.Was it at the Blade show?

Joe,

Please find more old stock or what ever else is needed to bring back drop point 112s, both in brass/wood and in Paperstone.

It makes perfect sense to me that Buck is selling the Ecolites in the "Everyday" category on the web site but no sense why they're sticking with a hunting blade for an "everyday" knife. At least the drop points should be available as an option.

Well, I got an e-mail from Joe today letting me in on the origin of this knife. As I thought, it's not a build out in the normal sense. It's a special projects knife made for a company called Seeland International. According to Joe, they made 1800 of them and gave them a Special Projects number.

I did a search for Seeland and came up with a clothing and hunting supply company in the UK.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

Thank You for sharing the update Plumberdv...

So most or all of these went to the U.K.?

I guess you're lucky to have snagged one.

In a second e-mail today, Joe said there were 1800 so far. There is possibly another order for more in the works.
    BCCI Life member #1706

http://www.seeland.dk/Site_eng.html

It is in this catalog: They are calling it a Buck Ranger Drop Point. Near the end of the catalog on page 208.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    http://www.seeland.dk/Site_eng.html

It is in this catalog: They are calling it a Buck Ranger Drop Point. Near the end of the catalog on page 208.
    Thank you Steve. Notice it says none of the Buck knives are available in the UK. I was wondering about that because I know that they have some very restrictive knife laws there. I also noticed that they have made a mistake on the 110 below the 112 and called it a Ranger 112 also.

Last edited by Plumberdv; 07-17-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    BCCI Life member #1706

The catalog link courtesy of our good friend scrubber over @ britishblades. Thank you kindly.

Is it only the hunting series clasp knives that are not available in the UK or all Buck knives?

Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    Is it only the hunting series clasp knives that are not available in the UK or all Buck knives?
    I went through the entire catalog page by page and there are no other knives of any kind, just Bucks and none of the Bucks are available in the UK.
    BCCI Life member #1706

It must be tricky for an American company selling into restrictive knife law domains. It must be even more complex for the European vendor to sell into multiple European domains. The catalog is from a company based, I believe, in Denmark.

Here is a link to a bit of knife law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

It looks like one-hand opening knives are an issue in Denmark.

I'll need to check with my attorney in order to comment on UK knife laws...

Odd to me that such a great knife/blade combo is offered in an offshore catalog and not for the domestic market...if Buck has an ear...what's up with that???
    There seems to be a genuine interest in such a pattern...

Perfectly legal in the UK - I own dozens - no idea why they won't import to us, probably just company policy the same as ebay banning us from buying and selling knives on ebay.co.uk

nice knife - might even make me turn my back on my GEC lockback if I could get one

for a bit atleast

Deja Vu from 2010: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...point-question

Note the model number in post #13 looks familiar now.

Model # 0112brssp17-b
    Catalog # 9736

These DP Special Project Rangers have been around for years.

Note: My call to the Buck Factory Store yields a dry hole this AM. None are available thru Buck. It was suggested that I contact Seeland in Denmark for this product. How does Jacob get them... Perhaps via Denmark.
    Last edited by oregon; 07-18-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Cool, so there should be two versions of it floating around out there. One with the 450 blade and one with the 422 blade.
    BCCI Life member #1706

I think that you meant to type 442 above Dave.

So, this Special Project 112 comes with or without the "ugly hump" on the spine of the blade. Get the 450 blade and it is humpville. Get the 442 blade and the world is your satin smooth oyster humpless.

There is no end of the ways to collect cutlery is there... More fun for me.

The droppoint 112 does roundabout 130 USD (according to Seeland catalog)

I wrote them a mail and asked for an offer. Let's see what they write.

Haebbie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information